- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
- Job Searches
Top 20 Best Careers Through 2024
US News and Word Reports selected 50 careers that its analysts predict to be in the highest demand within five industries listed by suggested importance. These include:
- Science and Technology,
- Education and Civics/Government,
- Business and Finance,
- Creative and Service.
Healthcare Includes Science and Technologies
Science and Technology in Healthcare.Click thumbnail to view full-size
After studying labor trends and changes in labor markets for about two decades, I see the US News estimates and think that I would have separated Education from Civic and Creative from Service careers to create a Top Seven Industries. I would list these industries as
- Science and Technology: This area includes many Engineering and Technician positions, especially in Bio-engineering, Communications, Energy and Fuel, Growing New Organs, Prosthetic Devices, Pharmaceuticals, Anti-Aging Treatments, Aerospace Exploration and Mining, Aerospace Travel and Colonization, and others. NASA's space exploration has birthed the Spinoff Program of health and technology products developed on the International Space Station.
- Healthcare - Includes IT, Bio-engineering, Technician positions, and Aerospace Medicine.
- Civic/Government posts,
- Finance, and
The Top Seven are presented in the order of probable highest numbers of new jobs created for 2010. In fact, these have produced the highest numbers of new jobs from 2010 - 2017 already. .
These US News employment trend projections are in large part based on the US Federal Government's predictions of growth and numbers of new jobs expected for the period 2008 - 2018, and most recently, the period of 2014 - 2024
The following Top 20 Careers in the list below take into account the Top 10 Rankings within each of the five Industries analyzed by US News. It also considers the importance of the jobs highlighted in their slide show of a Top 10 Overall slide show on the website and featured as a link from the SimplyHired.com Blog.
Top 20 Careers
- Computer Software Engineers
- Systems Analysts
- Network Administrators
- Biomedical Engineers
- X-Ray Technicians
- Lab Techs
- Physical Therapists: Highest demand job in January 2010 - January 2015, considering all internet vacancy postings.
- Firefighters: I would add Special Education Teacher as a tie here.
- Urban planners
- Financial Advisors
- Training Specialists (in business/finance)
- Financial Analysts: Includes forensic accounting.
- Commercial Pilots: Pilots like 2009's hero on the Hudson, Sully Sullenburger, have revealed recent cuts in payroll and benefits for commercial pilots such as himself, so this employment position is probably not as fruitful going forward as projected. However, the rationale is that crop dusters and pilots willing to fly into difficult areas of the world will become more in high demand. Further, the rise of privatized space flight and flying cars in 2018 (announced by Boeing) may impact this job, requiring more pilots, engineers, and manufacturing/maintenance technicians.
- Technical Writers
- Funeral Directors
- Security System Installers
Note: within just a few days of publication, workers in a number of job titles commented on the US News and World Reports website with complaints that their particular job titles were not considered likely to grow from through 2018. These occupations included:
- Veterinary Technicians,
- Medical Technologists,
- Medical Assistants and several others.
Some readers criticized registered nurses for making more money with less education.
Jobs to Increase Fastest
- Wind turbine service technicians: Manufacturing and installation.
- Occupational therapy assistants
- Physical therapists and assistants
- Home health aides
- Commercial divers
- RN/NP Nurse practitioners
- Physical therapists and assistants
- Ambulance drivers and attendants (EMTs)
- Physician assistants: often fulfilled by Nurse practitioners
- Operations research analysts
- Personal financial advisors
- Cartographers and photogrammetrists
- Genetic counselors: Mappers and surveyors, including for outer space
- Interpreters and translators
- Audiologists and Hearing aid specialists
- Forensic science specialists
- Web Developers
Top 10 Hiring Companies
- Philips: Health technology company
- Slack: Social communications
- Dropbox: Sharing and hosting services
- ThoughtWorks: New technology in software
- GLG: Educational platforms
- Houzz: Home remodeling and design
- YesPrep: Charter schools
- Credit Karma: Financial services.
- GalaxoSmithKline: Healthcare
- US BMW Group: Auto manufacturing
Comparison: Job Growth In the 2010s
From 2014 - 2017, Transportation - specifically trucking - has been the Number One Hiring Industry in the United States, with nearly one million job openings for drivers.
Top Companies Hiring Truckers
From 2010 - 2013, nearly all US States had large numbers of trucking and transportation jobs available, with a huge spike in 2014 - 16. Truck driving schools offer short courses and job placement. New trucking companies are opening as well.
- Schneider National - Trucking
- Rush Trucking
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- United Vision Logistics
- Marten Transport
- Builders Transportation
- Colonial Freight
- Hogan Transport
- Star Transportation
Watch Emerging Aerospace Tech Jobs
- A Review of Aerospace Careers to 2040 AD
Space Tourism has the potential to become of the largest Aerospace Industries of the 21st century. Spurred by science fiction as early as the 1800s, sci-fi fan clubs of the 1930s, the Space Race, and Homer Hickam, jobs in Aerospace are blossoming.
- Ohio Space Corridor Creates 100,000 Drone Jobs and $90 Billion Revenue
Drones are the subject of jokes & business proposals as well as fear & welcome among people in the United States. In 2015, colleges and the Ohio Aerospace Industry began to create 100,000 drone jobs.
Examples of Job Growth
- Increased 18%, 80, 000 jobs available in January 2010
- Increased by over 400% more to 329,600+ jobs available in January 2012
- Comparison: About 230,000 jobs open in mid-February 2017.
Cities with the most jobs advertised in Software Engineering in 2015 - 2017:
- New York State: NYC
- Washington : Redmond, Seattle.
- California : San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Sunnyvale.
- Maryland area : Washington DC, Annapolis Junction, Fort Mead, Columbia in Maryland; Arlington VA.
- Illinois : Chicago
- Georgia: Atlanta
Top 10 Hiring Companies for Software Engineers
- Amazon Corporate LLC
- Lockheed Martin
- Workbridge Associates
- General Dynamics Information Technology
- Northrop Grumman
- General Electric
Comparison: Multimedia Artist positions increased 115%
Education/Civic: Special Education Teacher listings increased 25%.
Special Education Teachers
A large segment of the American population and education professionals likely feel that teaching as a profession is one that should be in highest demand, in particular, Special Education Teachers and Aides.
Top Cities Demanding Spec-Ed Teachers in 2017
- Albuquerque NM
- New York City
- Houston and Dallas TX
- Phoenix and Tucson AZ
- Jefferson NH
- Nashville TN
- Washington DC
- Newark NJ
Top Advertising Companies
- Albuquerque Public Schools - New Mexico
- Dallas Independent School District - Texas
- Tucson Unified School District - Arizona
- Oakland Unified School District; Pasadena Independent School District - California
- YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago - Illinois
- Houston Independent School District - Texas
- Gwinnett County Public Schools - Texas
- Richland School District; Charleston County Schools - South Carolina
- Boston Public Schools - Massachusetts and Tacoma School District - Washington
- Educational Testing Service (ETS) - Princeton, New Jersey
Jobs on the Rise 2016 - 2020Click thumbnail to view full-size
© 2010 Patty Inglish