- Business and Employment»
- Character & Professionalism
Top 5 Common Juicy Office Gossip Topics in the Workplace
Are you updated with the latest office gossip? Well, some people just can’t get enough of it, while others just brush it aside. Regardless which group you belong, here are the most common gossip starters known to civilized world.
1. Office romance
Some of the juiciest gossips are about office romance. Of course illicit relationships tend to be a hotter topic so people are always on the lookout for the latest tandems. The problem here is that some office romances are branded as such without verification. Once branded, it's hard to get rid of the labels..This can be detrimental to office relationships.
2. Special treatments
Another hot topic to talk about in the office is who got what. It is unavoidable for some employees to compare privileges given to them. In addition, assumptions are then conjured to satisfy employees’ need for a logical reason. Unfortunately, most of these assumptions are neither logical nor true.
8 resources that can improve your organization
- How to Avoid Gossips in the Workplace: A Corporate Culture Necessity
- How To Harness The Power of Listening
- Corporate Culture: How to Maintain Positive Relationships in The Office
- Corporate Culture and the Prima Donna Employees - Dealing With Difficult People
- The Art of Looking Busy – Improving Corporate Culture and Performance
- Effective Communication in the Workplace: Poor Questions Sap the Creativity of Employees
- Principles of Effective Communication We Take for Granted
- How to Deal with Employment Setbacks
3. Promotions, demotions and reprimands
It is a huge buzz when people are promoted. This is most especially true in these scenarios:
- An employee promoted ahead of someone with a longer tenure
- Promotion of some everyone thinks is not qualified
- Promotion in spite of short tenure
On the other end of the spectrum, demotions are also a hot topic. Most gossips will revolve around what was done by the person to deserve this. Other topics in the same category would be those suspended and those terminated.
4. Family and personal info
Although the office is a place for work, many still bring with them baggage from their personal life. Issues like marital problems, illicit affairs, financial troubles, problems with children and health concerns are often brought to the office. Regrettably, such personal mishaps float around the office whether intentionally or not.
5. The new guy
Everyone has the opportunity to fill the shoes of the new guy in the office. For some, they breeze through this phase without incidents. Sadly, there are those who come under fire. Many newbies who climb to the gossip headlines are those that usually challenge the organization’s status quo and those who have juicy gossip-worthy backgrounds.
Gossip in the workplace is like a malignant tumor mistaken as a benign one. It is there, but no one really steps in to address it. It is officially denounced but it still persists. These are just some of the most common office gossip starters. But for the rumormongering professionals out there, any topic will do.
Important questions to think about:
- What other gossip topics are common in your office?
- How have these gossips affect work relationships?