- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs
Modeling Job Dangers
Warning! Be Wary of Modeling Jobs!
Are you thinking of a career in fashion modeling? Is a company in your area hiring models? Have you already signed up with a modeling agency or an agent to do modeling work? Then please be extremely careful!
This post was inspired by what happened to a close friend who was hoping to make a modeling career and extra income as a fashion model. She found out the dark side of modeling and shared some advice for would-be models to avoid becoming a victim:
1. Never drink anything anyone gives you. Period. This was how my friend was drugged. She stopped a drugging of a friend of hers from happening after she learned what was going on. If necessary, pretend you are sipping the drink, then throw it on the floor when no-one's looking.
2. Never let anyone take you home except for a fellow model or other person you trust. After trying to drug you, some men will offer to take you home. Don't fall into that trap.
3. Be extremely careful where you do the modeling. If it's in a private location such as a hotel room, it could be a set-up. My friend did a photo shoot in a hotel room which was very hot and bright. She was offered something to drink to quench her thirst and woke up a few days later and had no idea what had happened.
4. Don't trust the modeling agencies to filter the customers for you. While modeling agencies may not be aware of what's going on, they can't be relied upon to screen potential clients.
5. Try as much as possible to team up with other models or people you trust, so you can watch out over each other.
The problem of abuse of models is world-wide. Don't think one area is safer than any other. My friend was a victim in both Asia and Europe, but there's no reason to think it couldn't have happened in the U.S. or elsewhere.
Also, although the victim that I know was female, this type of thing could happen to guys also.