Employment Trends and High Demand Jobs in Washington DC: 2011 - 2020
Fastest Expanding Careers in Washington DC
Washington DC is a hub for data collection and usage, such as statistics and analysis of federal and world economies, politics, social reforms, heath issues, and various other studies. This makes DC a center for long term careers in Information Technology (IT). IT jobs are enjoying a steady growth in the District of Columbus and will continue to do so at least through 2014. Particularly in 2009, when a new POTUS (President of the United States), takes office, an upsurge in statistical analysis should occur as the new administration analyzes the years from 2000 - 2008 for areas to expand and for new programs to add.
DC is home to the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Alternative Health, which rely heavily on grant-funded studies and the research data they generate. The Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control in Georgia, is also headquartered in DC. All of its departments require and use statistics. Child and Family Services Agency certainly uses statistics and IT professionals. The Department of Labor requires a large amount of information on a daily basis. The federal Office of Motion Picture and Television Development uses information. The University of the District of Columbia is a public university that uses information and IT professionals. The Smithsonian Institute is a system of dozens of museums and the National Zoo, all requiring IT professionals. There are hundreds of agencies in DC that require IT personnel and offer long term IT careers, including the Library of Congress that houses hundreds of thousands of books. Add to this the non-profits and for profit companies and a plethora of job opportunities and careers are readily available in and around America's capital city.
Eternal Flame and Gravesite of President John F. Kennedy
The Brookings Institution
- Brookings - an important independent research firm.
- Jobs and Internships | Brookings Institution
- Brookings Opportunity 08
Brookings Opportunity 08, in partnership with ABC News, has tapped into the thoughts and wishes of the American voters.
The Brookings Institution is a non-profit independent research corporation that is currently analyzing the War in Iraq and the 2008 road to the presidency. The scientists and researchers of Brookings are listening to voters across America to learn what the people of the US really want from their next president - the exact issues that are most important and relevant. Brookings is also located in DC.
This important firm's data impact nearly all areas of our society: economics, foreign policy, social, health, education, political, urban, and others. You can sign up for the regular free newsletter from Brookings Institution at the links to the right.
Area Jobs Increased 2011- 2014Click thumbnail to view full-size
DC Suburbs and Jobs
- Top 10 Best Hot Jobs in Washington DC Suburbs
(public domain) Three suburbs to the west and northwest of our nation’s capital are recognized by Forbes.com on their 2009 Best 25 Places to Move for work in the country. These are: Franconia VA – Number 13 Leesburg VA – Number 16 ...
- Chevy Chase, Maryland - Top 10 Best Hot Jobs In a Ri...
Chevy Chase, Maryland is home to the Number 10 Richest Place in America, according to the Forbes.com analysts that worked with US Census2010 data and related surveys containing the needed information. One part of this group of communities...
- Top 10 Jobs in Northern Virginia (NOVA)
Confusion exists about cites, metropolitan areas, metroplexes, and Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), as well as related workforce terminology. Northern Virginia is not a city but still is a metroplex of large proportions...
Top Jobs Forecasted to 2016,
Ranked by required skills & salaries:
BASIC SKILLS REQUIRED
- Janitors and Cleaning, except specifically Maids/Housekeepers $21,550
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving $18,190
- Waiters and Waitresses $16,500 .
- Cashiers $22,110.
- Security Guards $27,290.
- General Office Clerks $27,570.
- Retail Sales $22,490.
- Receptionists and Information Clerks $27,540.
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners (see Number One above) $24,590.
Most Frequent Job Listings
- Software Engineers
- Systems Engineers
- Project Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Program Managers
- Physical Therapists
- Java Developers
- Business Analysts
- Administrative Assistants
- Network Engineers
- Sales Representatives
- Assistant Managers
- Systems Administrators
- Executive Assistants
MIDDLE - LEVEL SKILLS REQUIRED
- Secretaries, except Legal, Medical, and Executive $37,230.
- Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistants $42,460.
- Administrative Services Managers $71,850.
- First-line Supervisors/Managers of Office $67,570.
- Registered Nurses $57,440 Associate Degree. License required.
- Paralegals and Legal Assistants $43,440 Associate Degree.
- Legal Secretaries $51,150.
- Customer Service Representatives $31,170.
HIGH SKILLS REQUIRED
- Management Analysts $77,150. Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Lawyers $127,980. Professional Degree.
- General and Operations Managers $98,170. Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Accountants and auditors $65,070 Bachelor's Degree.
- Computer Systems Analysts $78,860 Bachelor's Degree.
- Chief Executives $138,440 Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Economists $93,950 Master's Degree.
- Public Relations Specialists $72,600 Bachelor's Degree.
Job Search Links for DC
- District Of Columbia Government jobs - District Of Columbia Federal jobs
District Of Columbia government jobs, federal jobs and government contractor and private sector jobs. Search, research and apply for District Of Columbia public sector openings at America Job
- Capitol Hill Jobs, PR Jobs and Public Affairs jobs in Congressional Offices, nonprofits and private
- Washington DC Area Jobs & Careers: Find Your Perfect Job, Search Now!
Top 3 IT Jobs in Washington DC
This responsible position requires some higher education, from an associate's degree to a PhD. Database administrators work with the newest software systems in business in order to organize data in useful ways that make sense.
These individuals set up computer databases and maintains them. They also design and implement computer systems. Logic, creative thinking, and critical thinking skills are vital in this position. Efficiency, determination, and excellent communications and presentations skills are also relevantly vital this this type of career field. The starting salary of a database administrator in 2005 was $67,000 - $95,000 and is increasing.
Information Technology (IT) Engineers
These positions will grow faster than the average job in the US. Lucrative salaries are one of the star attractions of careers in IT engineering, and these salaries vary depending on the employer. The average salary for IT engineers with an undergraduate degree and one year of experience in 2005 was $52,300. IT engineers employed with software publishers earn a six-figure salary.
Computer software systems designers employ large numbers of IT engineers in software publishing, management, insurance, and credit depository. Computer systems design engineers earn $103,850 and more per year. Perks and benefits include expense accounts, stock options, company vehicles and other offerings.
Network System Analyst/Data Communications Specialist
This will be one of the fastest of the fast growing careers through 2014. Network system analysts who work for carriers of wireless communication earn 65,130+. Insurance carrier network system analysts $64,660. In management companies average $64,170. Analysts that design computer systems $63,910. Local branches of government offer an average annual salary of $52,300.
IT Careers Search Link: http://dc.computerwork.com/
Healthcare Job Opportunities in Washington DC
- Children's National Medical Center
- Georgetown University Hospital
- Georgetown University Medical Center
- George Washington University Hospital
- George Washington University Medical Center
- Howard University Hospital
- National Rehabilitation Hospital
- Providence Hospital
- The Psychiatric Institute of Washington
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Washington Hospital Center
Healthcare Jobs Increase 2006 - 2016
Top Forecasted DC Healthcare Jobs
- Home Health Aides $19,450.
- Nursing Aides/Orderlies $24,530. State-approved training/certification needed.
- Psychiatric Aides $27,290. State-approved training/certification needed.
- Occupational Therapist Assistants $35,720. Associate Degree or Certification.
- Occupational Therapist Aides $27,980. Certification or OJT.
- Physical Therapist Assistants $36,690. Associate Degree.
- Massage Therapists $43,850. Certification.
- Dental Assistants $36,690. Certification.
- Medical Assistants $31,640. Certification.
- Medical Equipment Preparers $28,040. OJT.
- Medical Transcriptionists $34,240. Certification. OJT.
- Pharmacy Aides (not pharmacy technicians) $28,250. OJT.
- Veterinary/Assistants Laboratory $26,660. Certification. OJT.
- Animal Caretakers - Minimum wage and higher. OJT.
Fastest Growing For-Profit Companies in Washington, DC
- Sykesville, MD
- Information - email@example.com
Intellimar serves America's largest commercial and federal government clients, providing homeland security, anti-terrorism, and other security solutions.
- 1920 L St NW, 6th Floor. Washington, DC 20036
- In the USA: (800) 310-4604
- International: +1 (202) 467 6868
- Online Contact Form: http://web.liquidation.com/contactus
Liquidity Services seems like a Mega-Flea Market, but is much more sophisticated. They offer asset recovery services and an online auction to advertise surplus and wholesale goods. In the middle of the downtown, it is a giant auction-place serving wholesalers, manufacturers, and government agencies and contractors.
- Herndon, Virginia
- 1.866.345.0983 toll-free
iDirect Technologies delivers high-tech solutions to achieve the 2005 Innovation and Technology of the Year Award. They were named by Deloitte and Touche as one of Virginia Technology's Fast 50 growing US tech companies. They have additional offices in UK and Asia.
- Chantilly, VA
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
LanceSoft Inc. looks for new employees with innovative ideas, good critical thinking, and creativity. LanceSoft Inc. was Number Three on the list of Deloitte Technology's Fast 50 growing companies of 2005. They also maintain offices in Banglador, Chennai, and Trichy, India; and in UK.
- McLean, VA
- Email: email@example.com
- Online contact form: http://www.conv.com/contact/
This company serves federal, state, and local branches of US government with tech consulting.
Universities and Colleges in Washington DC
The DC area includes a number of schools that do not focus on politics and international business along. Arts, culture, and continuing education are just as important.
Unique Top Schools In Washington DC
- Corcoran Gallery and Corcoran College of Art and Design at http://www.corcoran.org/
- Strayer University for Working Adults: 11 campuses and online classes as well for distance learning at http://www.strayer.edu/campus-finder?province=DC
- The University of the District of Columbia at http://www.udc.edu/ -- "The University of the District of Columbia is the only public institution of higher education in the District of Columbia. Chartered in 1974 from three other institutions of higher learning, this Historically Black College/University maintains an open admissions policy, and is the only urban land-grant institution in the nation."