- Business and Employment
Web Search Evaluator - Appen Butler Hill - India: Details And Review
A Web Search Evaluator Is Also Known As:
- Search engine evaluator
- Ads quality rater
- Internet assessor
- Search engine judges
Is Appen A Legit Company?
This is what their official website says:
Appen is an award-winning organization. Our people help leading technology companies expand into new global markets. With capability in over 140 languages, Appen’s global network of specialists and in-country virtual teams work together to ensure new products and technologies operate in all the languages our clients need.
Appen offers work from home opportunities for exciting, flexible, short-term projects as well as full-time corporate opportunities. We are proud to have been named in Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 100 Companies Offering Flexible Jobs in 2014.
Appen was founded by Julie Vonwiller, in 1996. In 2010, Appen merged with the Butler Hill Group. After the merger, Appen became Appen Butler Hill, and we expanded our business scope to include language resources, search, and text. Our client base has grown to include global technology leaders, including Microsoft, SAP, Raytheon and Oracle. Additionally, we work with leading government agencies in the United States and United Kingdom.
So yes, Appen is a legit, well-known and prestigious organization. Online research tells me that Appen has been providing opportunities for people interested to work from home and earn money. It's an ideal source of income for students, stay-at-home moms or retired professionals. Don't worry about payments, you'll be paid monthly without fail. Appen is a trusted name and they have employees all over the world working as Web Search Evaluators.
What Google Says About Search Evaluation?
- Search evaluation is the process of measuring the quality of our search results and our users' experience with search.
- We're serious about search evaluation because we are serious about giving you the highest quality search experience possible.
What Is A Web Search Evaluator?
Search engine evaluators give feedback to ensure that Internet search results are comprehensive, accurate and timely and are spam-free and relevant to the searcher's intent. In essence, they are the human check on the complicated algorithms that search engines run.
To do this, the search engine evaluator must be familiar with the language and the culture of the local search engine user. In India, if you want to work as a Web Search Evaluator, you must be fluent in English - read and write fluency.
This book introduces you to the core topics underlying modern search technologies, algorithms, data structures, indexing, retrieval, and evaluation
Web Search Evaluation Made Easy
With the help of human search engine evaluators, search engines ensure that when you type search words into the search bar, you find what you are looking for. For example, if you were doing a search on “Oprah Winfrey,” her official website would show up either at the top or near the top of the results. That’s because that’s probably the most relevant result for your search on Oprah. Other sites, like her You Tube videos, Twitter account, or a Wikipedia link would also be relevant, but not as relevant as the official site. If you find search results on Elle De Generes,that would be irrelevant.
- $4.50 per hour for Indians. This means you can expect to earn somewhere between 20,000 - 30,000 INR a month.
- You will be hired as a contractor for Appen so you'll need to bear the tax responsibilities.
- You'll be paid once a month via paper check or direct bank transfer.
Requirements To Become A Web Search Evaluator
- Fluency in written and verbal English.
- A passionate and avid interest in working with the Internet.
- Experience with Web browsers in navigating a variety of content.
- A broad interest and current knowledge of web-based culture, media, sports, news, and business.
- The flexibility and patience to learn in an environment of changing standards and tasks.
- The willingness to seek guidance and coaching when uncertain.
- Ability to follow instructions without allowing personal experience or sentiment to cloud judgment.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to focus and maintain accuracy in a time-sensitive environment.
- The ability to work independently with effective time management skills.
- Excellent research skills, critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Excellent troubleshooting, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Basic aptitude for solving technical/software issues independently.
- Personal Windows Computer or laptop that runs Windows 7 or above.
- Access to a reliable high-speed internet connection.
- Basic aptitude for installing applications, and troubleshooting and addressing software issues with limited support.
- Any anti-virus software installed on the PC or laptop.
- Knowledgeable user of MS Office suite.
- 9 years of residence in India.
- Before you take up your first assignment with Appen, you'll need to pass their online test. More on that in the next section.
Web Search Evaluators Schedule:
- 4-5 hours a day Monday through Friday (with the flexibility to choose when you work each day)
- 20-22 hours per week
Appen's Online Test
- It's a 3 part test which aims to gauge your search/analytical skills, English proficiency and technical skills.
- There's no time limit set to complete this one. You can finish it in your own time.
- To qualify, make sure you read their instructions thoroughly, especially for the first section, which is about search analysis, before you attempt taking the test.
- I suggest you keep in the instructions somewhere to refer back and forth. Because the questions in the first section will be based on the instructions.
- The English and the technical sections are easy and should not take much of your time, if you have intermediate proficiency in speaking the language and if you know how to use a computer and the Microsoft suite.
- For the technical section, you can also refer to the internet, if you don't know any answer.
- Do not try to finish the test as early as possible. This will increase your chances of making an error. Remember, there's no timer ticking.
- If you are not sure of any answer, you can go back and check or edit it before you press Submit.
- Once you press submit, you'll not be allowed to make any edits.
- If you qualify, you'll be mailed within 30 days.
- If you don't hear from them, re-apply.
After You Pass The Online Test:
- You'll be contacted via phone or Skype.
- You will need to complete a qualification process of 5-30 hours over a 1-3 week period.
- You''ll need to pass another round of test after your training.
- And that's it!
- You''ll start work with Appen as a contractor.
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly Of Life At Appen
- Home-based opportunity
- Non-telephonic work
- You can choose your work hours
- Timely pay
- Hourly pay as compared to daily pay
- Fixed source of income
- It helps you experience and learn search evaluation
- Timely help from colleagues and mentors
The Bad and The Ugly:
- Pay for Indian employees is less as compared to Appen employees in the U.S..Our American counterparts are paid $13-$15 per hour.
- Pay is less compared to other companies like Lionbridge, where the hourly pay is $6.50
- Stringent quality checks
- You need to meet deadlines every day
- Monotonous work
- Training period which is between 1-3 weeks may not be paid for Indian employees
- No job security - they can let you go at any time, if they're not happy with your performance
This company takes Internet Assessors (another name for Web Search Evaluators) from time to time. Keep an eye on popular job sites in India, where they advertise for this role. You can also visit their official site to apply.
Forbes 2014 ranked Lionbridge as one of America's most trustworthy companies.
- Google doesn't recruit Ads Quality Raters from India. It's a U.S. based position.
- Leapforce doesn't have home based opportunities for Indians in English or in any other Indian language.
- ZeroChaos, Inc., formerly WorkforceLogic doesn't offer home based opportunities for Indians. You can apply if you're based in the U.S.
You may like:
- Distance Education In India: Your Complete Guide
The guide covers: list and details of 10 distance education universities; top 10 distance education universities for MBA with accredition and fees; the good and bad of distance education and more.
- Make Money Online:How About $100?
Writing articles online is a great way to keep the buck flowing. There are authentic and pretigious online publications which look for good quality content. And pay you $100 per article to boot.
- How to write and make money from Yahoo! Voices if you're not from the U.S.?
If you're from the U.S. or the U.K. you can write for Yahoo Voices. What if you're not from these countries? Can you still write and make money through Yahoo Voices?
- 14 Amazing Truths Learned From Those Who Left Or Lost Their Jobs
Losing one's job or leaving it for an uncertain future is tough, not to mention stressful and depressing. So I was naturally surprised when I heard -- this.
Appen Hiring 2000 People In The U.S. To Work From Home
How was your experience with Appen Butler Hill in India?
© 2014 Chitrangada Mukherjee