- Business and Employment
What's Your Personal Brand? Tips For Building
Personal branding is the idea that you are your own brand. Just like big companies such as Google, Nike, and Coca-Cola have their own brands or personas, so do you. What is a personal brand, you may ask? I personally like the way Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon, explained it: "Your brand is what people say about you when you are not in the room." So basically, your personal brand is your reputation.
With social media, we all know manage our personal brand more tightly. Just think of that time you untagged a picture of you or took down a post. You were doing damage control to your brand!
For your very own personal brand, take some lessons from the big boys – especially if you want to stand out from the bunch. Think of yourself as President of Marketing of your brand and this brand has various product lines. Just like Apple’s brand has products like the iPad and Macbook that stand out from the competition in each specific market, you also have products like your career persona and your Facebook profile, which is part of your online persona. Facebook offers you advertising for your pnline persona, offering loads of visibility and free public relations (PR) with internal programs such as the ability to ask the entire community questions.
So think about it, what is it that makes you stand out from the rest? What are you proud of? Think of this as your value statement or differentiation strategy.
If you don’t feel like you actually have something that differentiates yourself from the rest, don’t worry about it! It’s never to late to change your personal strategy. What is it that you’re truly interested in? Create goals and objectives and a plan for how you will accomplish them and track your progress.
Books to help you build your personal brand
Personal Branding Tips
- Be consistent – You need to find your niche and stick to it. It’s hard for an audience to buy into your brand if you’re changing your messages and are all over the place.
- Be honest – Don’t make up anything and check your facts. In this day and age, it’s extremely easy to check the validity of information. If you’re dishonest, it will greatly damage your reputation.
- Be positive – If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Don’t criticize people or their ideas. You don’t want to be labeled a negative person.
- Engage others – Successful brands offer an experience for the audience. Think how others can relate and engage in your message.
- Ongoing presence – Show up consistently so that your audience knows when more or less to expect to hear from you. On HubPages, if you publish one article per day usually, don’t all of a sudden go weeks without publishing because your image will suffer. You want your audience to keep coming back! Be dependable and reliable.
By following these tips, your audience will be loyal and will feel sure of the value or product they will receive in communication with you, such as via HubPages.