- Business and Employment»
- Presentation Skills & Public Speaking
What’s in a Handshake? Seven Revealing Things Yours Says About You
Most probably have heard the expression, “a picture speaks a thousand words.” However, what some may not have heard of is that a handshake does as well. Moreover, for all its popularity, it turns out that a handshake is not well understood. Although a handshake can be substantial, according to a favorite poll, 70% of the people do not feel confident about their ability to give the correct handshake. The extent of incapacity is alarming, especially since the handshake is one of the essential elements of impression formation and it reveals important aspects of the personality of the person giving it.
When you meet new people, making an excellent first impression is incredibly important because you only get one shot at it and the way you shake their hand tells them a story as well as an essential aspect about you. Furthermore, body language is a significant part of a first impression. Everything from your posture, eye contact to how you carry yourself and the in particular way you shake a person's hand. A handshake is an unspoken word where people are making judgments about you and basing their opinions of you.
Some may not realize the power conveyed in a first-time handshake, but just as you can tell a lot about a person who provides good eye contact and acquire his or her personality by sitting down to a meal, the same applies when you meet a person for the first time, and shake their hand. A handshake is a beginning unspoken word that opens a conversation in any social or professional get-together. In a job interview, it is customary to shake hands with your interviewer.
Some even screw-up, thousands or more of a first impression handshake and they do not know it. Yes, your handshake plays a considerable role in whether you get the job or not. I did not learn this until finally, I desired to learn my mistakes. Often, just being aware of your mistakes teaches you so, I learned to pay close attention to how a professional person shakes my hand as everyone should pay close attention because the way you shake a person's hand can be a deal maker or breaker.
Also, I have begun to use several tools to assist me on my journey of improvement just to discover why a college degree is necessary. However, I learn that after laying out thousands of dollars for a four to five year of college it will not teach me everything needed to land the job such as one crucial thing like how to give the proper handshake on an interview.
I have had various excellent professionals who inspired and taught me a lot, but they've never told me how to use the information to improve my life. Nonetheless, it did lead me to the direction toward making me who I am today, a focus, take on risk individual whom they help to see the long-term effects of the decisions I make, and I am the architects of my future —regardless of my circumstances.
However, I learned I AM represent by my handshake; it can make or break me. There are different types of handshakes that you will come across every day. Moreover, my goal should be first to discover what the handshake that I currently have reveals about me, my personality and what's the first impression that I am giving out. Thus, never to give a dead fish or a bone crusher handshake, but a simple proper handshake, what does YOUR handshake say about you?
Furthermore, difference type of handshakes has different meaning and just in case you did not know, not knowing you have a lousy handshake is the worst and will cost you. Using proper handshake lead the interviewer to know just how much you look forward to speaking with him or her and can also impress them to give you the job. So, if you want to leave the best result upon meeting an important person for the first time, especially an interviewer, stand tall, consider good eye contact, be the first to reach out and shake their hand with your right hand.
Make sure you only hold their hand for one to two seconds and speak to him or her in a bright and enthusiastic tone. Remember to shake the individual’s hand firmly without any limpness. Do not squeeze or crush the bones in their hands as you attempt to show your positive nature. Also, to show confidence give a winning smile and poise by sharing a simple, powerful handshake free from bone-crushing fervor yet gentle enough to impress. To make sure you provide an excellent firm handshake tilt the fingers down and scoop up into the handshake—instead of just attaching your fingers into the other person hand as they shake your hand.
Although, it may take a little time to learn the proper handshake, — learning says a lot about who you are as a person. Here are a few you do not want to do, and one or two you ought to learn. Do you recognize any of these hand shaker types? Below is the seven-revealing thing your handshake might be saying about you.
1. The crusher handshake: a nervous person generally use this handshake and crushes the other individual’s hand during the handshake – no one likes a loose grip, but don't go too far and squeezing the life out of the other person hand.
2. The corpse handshake: first, remember that not everyone accepts a handshake as a greeting nor does every do it the same…moreover, please no loose grip – you want to avoid the corpse handshake, it a slack shake and gives the person who hands you are shaking the impression you are an irresponsible person.
3. The twister handshake: no one wants this handshake, it is like arm wrestling. One person takes the next person hand and turns it upside down as it becomes twisted, and then shakes it – this shake typically means the person twisting the hand are trying to take control and expect the other person to obey them.
4. The double handed: this handshake is saved for big occasions where the right-hand grabs the left hand when both parties know each other well, meeting to shake hands to tell the story. The higher the hand moves up, the greater the control and the left hand is manipulating.
5. Push-Off Handshake – This is the traditional bad handshake that a person might use to establish his or her territory. The grip is firm and warm, and at the end, the hand is shoved away.
6. The Fancy Fool Handshake: While some people do spend a second on thinking what hand they are putting out. Make sure to extend your right hand and do not make the handshake “hip” by trying to get creative with a new thing or a fist bump, this shows signs of foolishness and a complete lack of awareness. A handshake like this should be saved for shaking your frat brothers and friends hand only
7. Pull-In – This handshake is the opposite of the push off. The person using this handshake tends to guides you in the direction they decide.
In today's competitive job market, the handshake evolved as a beginner to an introduction and used to seal an agreement so, it should always be warm, and friendly. Above are tips on different handshakes to assist you with an excellent beginning on landing a job, now all you must do is show confidence to begin closing the deal. To land the job you need to bring your A-game from start to finish, and making good eye contact the entire time with the proper last handshake thanking the person for his or her time help close the deal.
Another thing that might be the reason you did not get the job; did you know that arriving too early is just as bad as showing up late to an interview? Know that learning everything that will affect your chances of getting the job is just as important as getting the handshake right. Knowing the correct handshake could mean you are giving the interviewer the impression that you are trustworthy, driven, prepared and the right candidate for the job. Also, being professional in dressing and knowing how to elaborate when answering questions, don’t just say yes or no, could make the difference between the ideal job–and NO job.
President Barack Obama shakes hands and meet Pope Francis
After reading this article do you feel you are among the 70% of the people who do not feel confident about their ability to give the correct handshake?
Handshake Song (The Cup Song) - NigaHiga (The Cover)
Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton
What a Handshake Reveals | Palm Reading
What Does Your Handshake Say About You?You can tell a lot about a person from their handshake. From flimsy, sweaty palms, to bone-crushing grips, find out whatview quiz statistics
Hillary & Trump beyond words handshake; While Donald Trump had the advantage of his hand facing the audience, Hillary Clinton counteracted
Master the art of the perfect handshake; A person's handshake says worlds about them, and the handshake is a major factor in the way each participant thinks ab
The Art of Negotiation
© 2017 Pam Morris