Where to find Commercial Web Hosting
There is a plethora of commercial web hosting solutionson the Internet today, unlike in the early 90s when web hosting was a rare commodity that required deep technical expertise and expensive hardware. Now, almost anyone with some basic computer skills can get a website up and running in no time.
There are a few basics you need to consider when thinking about purchasing a web hosting package such as web host space size (most web hosts will have various plans offering anywhere from a few hundred megabytes to unlimited terrabytes), domain name (your sign board or your URL) and bandwidth. You will need to consider these factors as these are critical to your choice of provider as well:
Uptime - Reliability is the key, if your web host is down, your website can't be found, most providers will promise 99.999% uptime with some going all the way with promising 100%, but from experience this is rarely the case. Things break on occasion and it takes time to fix.
Speed of access - This is hard to measure. Some web host providers will promise an insane amount of bandwidth and web space, while a lot of providers even offer "unlimited" butmost times these offers are too good to be true. Sometimes a fixed amount of bandwidth and storage space is advisable for mission critical sites.
Customer Support - In rare instances when something does go wrong, you will want to get in touch with support personnel. Consider the support plan that comes with your package. Is it purely email support that guarantees response within 24 hours or are you willing to pay a premium for 24/7 phone support.
Here is a list of some of the common providers out there:
This commercial web hosting company has been around for a while and has a solid track record. It's employee owned, with top notch technical guys on its staff. It's services are perfect for small shops up to large scale websites, specifically for the Linux platform.
- Varied plans for different requirements
- Great administrator/backend interface - Innovative, with new useful services being added regularly
- Reliable email support - Very prompt response and solid technical assistance.
- Unlimited storage / bandwidth plans
- Personal feel
- Helpful wiki and online documentation
- Access time to website can be slow at times
- Phone support costs extra
Mediatemple is a popular brand with a lot of big businesses in its clients roster. It has great all around service, since they're more focused on business clients.
- Business focus support
- Has been around for a while, and is trusted by most graphic designers and big business
- Big businesses in its clients roster
- Technology agnostic - Compatible with Windows and Linux platform platforms
- Customer support for different languages (Spanish, Russian, Armenian, Korean etc..)
- More expensive than most
- Fixed web space and bandwidth plans
This commercial web hosting provider is the largest in the world, catering mostly to small to medium sized businesses.
- One of Worlds largest hosting provider
- Cheap plans
- Added value, website builder for no programming web site set-up
- eShop option ideal for web sellers
- Value added tools for non-advanced users, lots of add ons
- Lots of available promos
- Is a bigger player doing alot of retail sales, so service might not be at par with smaller shops
- Broader focus may leave lack luster core functionality