You Can't Make Yourself Successful!
What is Success?
Can you define success? I asked you because success is very subjective. If you ask a hundred people, you would get that number of different definitions. To some success is a big house, expensive car, a high paying position as well as a high profile job with lots of letters after that title. To others success means being able to provide the basics for their family. It may mean a good marriage, good health, being able to give up a bad habit like tobacco, drugs or alcohol. What is disturbing comes out of The Josephson Institute on Ethics 2009 study that found the younger generations are significantly more likely to engage in dishonest conduct than the older generation.
· “Teenagers 17 and younger are five times more likely than those older than 50 to hold the cynical belief that lying and cheating are necessary to succeed; nearly four times as likely to deceive their bosses and more than three times likely to keep the extra money mistakenly given in change.
· Those ages 18 to 24 are more than three times more likely to have inflated an insurance claim than people older than 40 and more than twice as likely to lie to their spouses or partner about important matters.
· The belief that lying and cheating are a necessary part of success is the most reliable predictor of adult dishonesty.
· People who held that belief are three times more likely to lie to a customer, twice as likely to conceal or distort information to their boss and twice as likely to lie to their spouse or significant other about important matters.
· Regardless of age, people who cheated on high school exams two or more times are considerably more likely to be dishonest later in life.”
As you see, there are a lot of success definitions. You can probably list many more.
I do not care which definition you choose to use for success, you CAN NOT MAKE YOURSELF SUCCESSFUL! Now that I have your attention, let me explain the why not. We are all dependent on other people for any and all success. I am not leaving out God or a personal relationship with a supreme being that is part of a belief system which can help with you journey to become successful. Simply put without others behind you, encouraging, promoting and exalting your great qualities, you have virtually no chance of becoming successful. You can become a success but not until you understand the power you have to enhance your chances of success. This book will show you with different examples, stories and scenarios how to affect success for yourself.
“How can they say my life is not a success? Have I not for more than sixty years got enough to eat and escaped being eaten?”
Logan P. Smith