- Business and Employment»
The Best Classes to Take to Become an Accountant
Accountancy can be a solid and rewarding career choice for people interested in business and finance. Anyone planning on studying for a degree in accounting can make some academic choices now that will make earning their degree easier.
Accountants are responsible for helping individuals and businesses understand their financial responsibilities, assisting people in reducing their tax burdens and helping to promote good money management.
If you're interested in becoming an accountant, there are a number of areas that you will want to study that will give you the best chances. This article explores the general and specific classes that you could take to support a career as an accountant. There are two main areas that can assist you:
- To expand your business knowledge, you should take some general business studies.
- For an accounting degree, you will need to take formal accountancy classes.
General business studies
When you're looking for general classes to take and skills to learn, you should focus on areas that will increase your knowledge of business, enhance your own skills and give you experience in related fields.
Completing a variety of studies will give you a good general grounding and understanding that will make earning your accounting degree that much easier. These areas might include:
- Statistics, mathematics and analysis.
- Business strategy, tactics and management.
- Financial and risk management.
- Business communications.
- Macro and micro-economics.
- IT and technology studies.
You may also need to take additional classes (either optional or as part of the core curriculum) to increase the number of credits that you can earn towards your degree.
Requirements vary between academic institutions and you should check the websites of any colleges or universities that you are interested in to learn their requirements.
Is accountancy right for you?
Which part of accountancy studying is most interesting?
Good accountants have an excellent understanding of business and a diverse set of skills.
Making the right choices about your academic needs now can make it much easier for you to earn a degree and let potential future employers know about your interests and talents.
Formal accountancy classes
One of the steps in becoming a qualified accountant is to earn a bachelor's degree in accounting. Although the exact classes that you will need to take to earn your degree will vary between universities, you can expect them to include most or all of the following:
- Accounting - Basic Principles.
- Corporate and business law.
- Financial Management and Business Finance Principles.
- Social and Ethical Practices in Business.
- Business Information Systems and Software.
- Business Management and Strategy.
- Business Statistics and Analysis.