mcbel profile image 79

Do I really need a degree?

I can't help but feel like a degree is right for me. It's expensive, to say the least, and I've noticed that in almost any program the one thing they don't teach is how to express unique ideas to arrogant, closed minded people. A life as an author, screenwriter, and actor is what I want, but I can't seem to break from the pressure of my parents to lead the life of the typical, scared American. How do I build up the courage to tell my parents that I'm ready to do something different... Something, out of the ordinary? Advice?

jjackson786 profile image93

Best Answer Jennifer (jjackson786) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Agree wholeheartely with parents "simply want the best for you." I misunderstood Mcbel's question, but nevertheless, I have to disagree with the degree part. It's extremely important in the film industry for reasons that I can't begin to list here.

Billie Kelpin profile image92

Billie Kelpin says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

after reading jjackson's answer, I guess I misunderstood your question. Perhaps instead of "I can't help but feel like a degree is right for me" you meant "I can't help but feel that a degree is NOT right for me." Sorry. I misunderstood.

brblog profile image81

Bruce (brblog) says

mcbel profile image79

mcbel says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

M, ur a thoughtful young man n thoughtful is always good! If u "friend" my daughter on FB (not that she posts a lot), u can connect w/ lots of kind/creative LA / NY people.(bethany therese) .If u lean to comedy, Andrew Norelli, Flip Schultz r great

Steve Burgess profile image62

Steve Burgess says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

S, I agree. My parents DIDN'T want me to go to college, but I got myself there; it opened up my mind to a world outside of the one into which I was born. Instead of chaining a person, it frees a person. "..proves you can work on ur own" DEFINITELY!

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

Sheila, great points. Re: college writing classes - I've never written as well as when I had my college writing classes w/ Bill Meisner (Hitting Into the Wind) and graduate work at a summer workshop. I think you're right about studying ALL options