Identity theft is one of the leading crimes these days and can lead to a lot of stress and hassle for its victim.
Some of the things that can be kept in mind are enlisted below:
1. Whenever you visit an ATM slot or make a purchase at a retail store, you need to be extremely careful about who may be observing you from behind.
2. Closely inspect an ATM machine before using it. Using a technique known as ATM skimming, thieves sometimes attach their own card-reading devices to a card-swiping slot on an ATM machine to steal your card information.
3. You should be very careful about the kind of websites that you use online. There are a host of fraudulent websites on the internet.
4. It has been observed that credit cards that have not been used for long periods of time possibly a year or more are more likely to be the targets for identity thieves.
5. Use unique passwords for each website you visit, including your favorite shopping site and online bank account.
6. Thoroughly review all your credit card and bank statements when you receive them.
7. Monitor your credit history. If someone has stolen personal information, such as your Social Security number, it can be used to apply for credit cards in your name.
8. Always use antivirus on your computer and never respond to any emails when you are not sure of the sender, especially if it requires you to fill in personal information.