- Business and Employment»
- E-Commerce & How to Make Money Online
Ezine Articles Review
Is Article Marketing Right for You?
EzineArticles is an online article submission platform that has been around since 1999. There are several article submission directories, however, EzineArticles is among the best, as per Alexa Rankings, and ranks high in Google.
The basic concept behind these directories is that approved authors submit short (400 to 700 words), authentic, well-written, content-rich articles on specific topics. Authors are allowed to include a couple of links in each article they submit. They are then hosted (at no cost) on their high volume traffic websites.
EzineArticles has stringent editorial guidelines, which authors needs to adhere to, in order to have their content approved. Each submission is reviewed by their editorial staff and if it is not in compliance with their guidelines, it is rejected.
Article marketing has been around for many years and many online content writers have used EzineArticles.com to generate good traffic to their websites and blogs via the directories themselves as well as through search engines. In the past few years, though, these directories have come under fire with the Google algorithm changes. This affected many tops sites including EzineArticles.
On this web page, you will find relevant information to help you understand article writing, submission and the benefits of using this tool to direct web traffic to your website and/or blog. Article marketing is not for everyone, find out if it's right for you.
Top 5 Benefits of Article Marketing
What are the Benefits of Article Marketing
There are many benefits to Article Marketing, listed below are the top 5 benefits:
- Generate traffic to your website or blog;
- Broaden your exposure on the internet through search engines;
- Increase credibility as an author and expert in your field;
- Provide back-links to your website or blog;
- Build a list of people interested in your content.
Continue reading to learn more about Article Marketing and find out if you will be able to leverage the power of these benefits in your business.
Top Article Submission Websites: Alexa Rankings 2010 to 2012
Alexa Internet is a subsidiary company of Amazon.com that collects and analyzes data on browsing behavior in order to come up with web traffic reporting. This reporting helps rank websites around the world. The above graph shows some of the Top Article Submission websites in comparison to EzineArticles.com. As you can see, EzineArticles.com is at the top and continues to maintain its top ranking.
As indicated earlier, all these directory sites were negatively impacted by the change in the Google algorithm. You will notice that when Google Panda was first released in early 2011, traffic on these content submission websites took a huge hit. EzineArticles implemented several positive changes to counter this negative effect and has since steadied in terms of Alexa rankings.
In the table above, you will find the Alexa Rankings (Global and USA) along with the Google Page Rank for these sites like Ezine Articles, Article Base, Suite 101, Helium, Go Articles, Article Dashboard, and Article City. You can compare the data before and after the Google algorithm changes. As you can see, EzineArticles has been able to maintain its Google Page Rank of 6.
I've experimented with them and submitted 25 articles, which were approved, since I joined in mid 2009. You can read more about my personal experience with them in the next section below.
Is EzineArticles Right for You?
My Personal Review on Ezine Articles
Article Marketing has worked for many authors who've used and continue to use EzineArticles, but it may not work for everyone. Some of the factors that will help you determine whether it is for you or not, are discussed below.
- Do you enjoy writing? It sure helps a great deal because writing content can be quite time-consuming. Of course, you can hire ghost writers and use their content, but it's not the same. Ultimately, you need to ensure that the content is good quality and is original. Also, you may need to write content on topics that are popular. Article marketing is a process and you will need to submit a huge volume of good-content in order to see effective results. You will need to ensure that your content includes targeted keywords to be able to reach your audience.
- Content submission is a manual process, though automation is possible, so you need to be aware of the time required to invest in writing and submitting your content. Do the pros outweigh the cons? This is something that you will have to decide for yourself.
- EzineArticles allows publishers of newsletters to use articles published on this platform with a credit link without any changes. However, this is sometimes misconstrued as permission to use this content on other websites and blogs. This has resulted in website and blog owners plagiarizing content.
My Personal Experience with EzineArticles
My plan to experiment with EzineArticles was mainly to test the platform for traffic to some of my Squidoo webpages. As I was writing detailed content for my Squidoo webpages, I found it fairly easy to take that content and rewrite a quick, short, good-quality and original content for submission.
Each content piece took me about 15 to 20 minutes to write and I included a link to my Squidoo webpage into the article submitted. This helped expand my reach and audience with content that I had already written, thereby directing more traffic to my Squidoo webpages via their traffic sites as well as some of my articles were picked up by publishers to be featured in newsletters.
I submitted 10 articles to EzineArticles during the initial process and received an upgrade to Basic PLUS Expert Author membership. During my time as a member, I submitted a total of 25 articles which were approved. Personally, I didn't tap into the full potential of the platform, but tested it for myself to warrant continuing using this platform.
I found that once submissions were approved, they were quickly indexed by Google and received traffic. However, post Google Panda implementation, it became more difficult and cumbersome to submit articles, especially those that included links to Squidoo webpages. This resulted in frustration and waste of time, so I decided not to continue using EzineArticles. Instead, I will be focusing on contributing my content to a content sites like Wizzley and my personal blogs where I can earn money from my published content.
This doesn't mean that the site may not work for you. If you host a website or blog and want to leverage from the traffic, this content marketing platform may work well for you. However, you still have to be cognizant of the points discussed above. If you think that EzineArticles will work for you, continue reading to learn more about it and how to effectively use this article submission platform.
Ezine Articles Author Tools
In the video below, Communications professional at EzineArticles.com provides an overview of the tools available to authors as part of their membership. Some of the author tools covered in this video are:
- Statistical reports;
- Email platform;
- Article diagnostic centre;
- Customized widgets;
- Author Sign-Up Box;
- Article feeds;
- Featured author banners;
- Author rankings;
- Article promotion.
Video Overview of Ezine Articles Author Tools
EzineArticles Editorial Guidelines
EzineArticles Editorial Guidelines are quite stringent. Content submitted for approval are reviewed by editorial staff and are generally approved within a week. There are some important aspects of the guidelines that I will highlight here which will help you ensure that your article submissions are approved on the first attempt:
- Ensure your article is original and has not been submitted elsewhere;
- If using articles from ghost writers, ensure you have exclusive rights to them;
- The article must not sound like a sales letter or promotional advertisement;
- Check for proper grammar, punctuation and spellings;
- The Title of the article should be at least two words and keyword-rich;
- Include an Article Summary of 2 to 5 sentences, not exceeding 200 words;
- The article must contain a minimum of 400 words and not exceed 5,000;
- Do not include more than 2 content website links in the body of the article;
- Do not include website links in the first three paragraphs;
- Affiliate links are only allowed if the link is a domain name you own.
Make sure to check the complete Editorial Guidelines document at EzineArticles.
Video Tutorial: Key to Your Article's Success
Share your thoughts on Article Marketing