Business Names - Clever, Catchy Business Names
My husband wanted to take our daughters on a bicycle ride this afternoon in the bike trailer that we’ve had for years, but used only a few times. Of course, one of the tires was flat. He tried to pump it up but it just wouldn’t hold any air, so he asked me if I knew where a bike shop was nearby. Immediately, the name of this bicycle shop in the town I went to college came to mind because I have always thought it was the most clever business name ever: Cycle Path. Maybe it’s just me, but I think it’s ingenious, inventive, hilarious, and oh, so memorable. I haven’t lived or been anywhere near that store in 17 years, but I remember that name always. Now THAT’S a smart – and memorable - business name!
Getting back to the bike trailer – well we found a bike shop (funny, I don’t even remember the name!) close by and got it fixed….
I could go on and tell you all about our beautiful bike ride, but I thought it would be more fun to compile a list of cool, funny and clever business names. I’m sure it’s been done before, but what the heck!
What Goes Into Naming a Business?
Several things must be considered, such as:
- Don’t make it too complicated – you want to make sure it’s easily remembered, NOT too hard to remember.
- Don’t be overly generic, like too similar to a competitor’s name or having a name that has nothing to do with what you’re selling.
Other considerations to keep in mind are:
- Will the business name get trademark protection?
- Is the name available?
- If you’re going to have a website, is a similar domain name available?
Amazon has a great selection of books and reference material to help get you started, like this one...
What's The Right Name?
You need a good name if you want a successful business. The right name can make your company the talk of the town; the wrong one can doom it to obscurity and failure. You should put just as much effort into naming your business as you did into coming up with your idea, writing your business plan and selecting a market and location.
There are many schools of thought when it comes to discussing what makes a good business name. Some believe that the best names are abstract or generic, a blank slate upon which to create an image. Many believe names should inform the customers what your business is immediately. The answer most likely is that your marketing strategy has a lot to do with whether or not your business name will be effective.
Names Are Powerful Tools
Your business name is the front line of your identity and is a powerful tool to get the attention of your customer base and hold a place in their memory. Using a play on words or other clever names can be some of the most memorable business names and will encourage word-of-mouth publicity.
Good business names are:
- Descriptive - they let people know what you have to offer with your name
- Short - makes it easier to remember
- Unique - branding is important, you want to stand out
- Easy to remember - if you have the first three, then it’s probably already easy to remember
- Easy to spell - easy to spell = easy to find; avoid numbers
- Catchy/trendy - depending on your profile customer
- Add perceived value - TELL them how good you are in the name
25 Memorable & Clever Business Names:
Okay, now on to the good stuff. I’ve compiled this list of business names that, in my humble opinion, are ingenious, clever or just plain funny and memorable. It could potentially go on and on, but I
Hope this brought a smile to your face today!