- Business and Employment»
- Customer Service & Satisfaction
eBay Complaints - The Best Ways to Make a Complaint About Ebay, and Get Results!
How to Make a Complaint to eBay
When something works, it is really great (I am Mr Obvious here), when it doesn't, it is a real pain in the neck (Mr Polite now..)
You cannot beat the soothing feeling when you get annoyed and angry and then get the help and understanding you need. You understand that this help is slightly false but you get to vent and you get something for your time. The people you speak to do what their job says they do, IE: Customer Service.
Sadly, the title of this page says it all. If you want to contact eBay for something that will ultimately make them money, they are happy to help. You will be connected to someone who has been trained or at least knows or understands the meaning of their position and its title: 'customer service'. However, if you have a complaint about eBay themselves, you will find yourself on one-long-hellish-trip.
eBay (unofficially yet factually) do not address your complaints via email or phone and you will find yourself speaking to passive/aggressive people who will give you all sorts of false information due to the company clearly not allowing certain employees in certain areas of the globe, access to information. This will of course, cost you time, money and possibly your sanity.
Now, that sounds like security, and it might well be, but, is it customer service? no, it is not. It is a waste of the customer's time. The idea is that the customer will just give up and allow eBay to steal (yes, steal) the customer's money. eBay let their platform be used by punishable rogues over and over for a small fee due. The majority of transactions on eBay are legitimate of course but eBay DO NOT CARE about the ones that are NOT as they make money either way.
I am not the sort to back away and let sly companies like eBay (or sole people) get away with shoddy practices and I do not want anyone else to ever do the same.. This is why I have written up a few steps to take and a few steps to avoid in order to hold eBay accountable and not let them annoy and frustrate their customers into submission.
So, before you give up hope and let the frustration unwind, and then return at the mention of the 'eBay' name. Let us make them do what they are meant to and get the money they owe us back!
Complaints About Ebay Made Via Email
The first thing you should know is that emailing Ebay with a complaint is the most fruitless thing you can ever do. You would get better results setting up a business storing ice in hell.
Your needs will be ignored and you will be pointed to places on your Ebay account that will have you chasing your own tail for days or weeks. The people who have to deal with email complaints know better than anyone how Ebay actually work, so they just push the email complaints about until you get frustrated and give up.
I found that the waiting times are normally twice as long as quoted and correspondence can be returned in the wrong language (I got one in Portuguese) and also unformatted (just text, without paragraphs).
Be sure to place your complaint to Ebay at least once or twice in email form so that later you have an argument and proof that their customer services is a joke and a waste of your time.
Complaints About Ebay Made Over The Phone
Phoning eBay is potluck. Ultimately you will get the same information from the 'Talk To Us' instant message service. IF, you can find the right phrase to give you the link that is. "Belock" doesn't cut it here..
In the end I gave up calling eBay as I had to wait in line for ages to speak to some "cheerful" soul. It also put a real cloud over my day that such a large company could be so unprofessional.
Most of the time you speak to some poor person who is tired and will no doubt resemble someone from the Banksy Simpsons' intro persona.
Never the less (without sounding heartless) they are passive/aggressive and seem on the verge of screaming blue murder at you on the phone when you are calmly and collectively detailing your problem/complaint.
And I thought this was MY chance for a release and not having to consider someone else?
Sadly, I was given false information by these "customer service" personnel twice and I now know better and no longer called them. They are victims of Ebay also, and I would not get anywhere having a row with them. Countless people clearly have taken a different approach though.
eBay, doing there bit for foreign relations, eh?
You should call up once or twice. The same logic applies as with the email. But do not expect to get your complaint addressed and dealt with in any fashion that feels you have been treated like a customer. Just get the proof that you have gone through the channels they have suggested. Hang in there and listen to what I have said above. When you come to eventually speak to someone with some kind of power. You will have a watertight case.
Writing Ebay A Letter Of Complaint
This title sounds so, weak? but it is the only one that seems to yield results. You can detail all your problems with the email and telephone customer service people in this letter along with the original complaint.
- Do not shelter away from facts.
- DO NOT be abusive or swear as this will be game over for you and your complaint.
- Make it sarcastically funny so the person reading it knows you are not a brain dead moron on their complainathon journey called 'life'. It may also make them "like you".
- Do NOT lie, if it didn't happen. Do not say it did. Imagine you write for a newspaper though, a really trashy one, and massage the truth to serve your goal if need be. (Do not overdo it!!)
- Make the process fun. Most people give up because they take no pride or happiness that they have a company banged to rights.
- Add the impacts that this lack of service has caused to your actual life.
* If you live in the US, you can send your letter of complaint to:
Attn: Corporate Counsel
2145 Hamilton Ave.
San Jose CA 95125
* If you live in the UK, you can send your letter of complaint to:
eBay Customer Support
P.O. Box 9473
* Make an online complaint to the financial ombudsman here:
* While you are at it, try writing to Watchdog UK as they are always on the look out for a new story.
These are the people who will give eBay a roasting and hold them accountable in the ways we cannot. The more complaints, the hotter the roasting. Do not let eBay get away with it!
The same goes for anyone, in any other country. Follow the steps I did above (if you are here now I suspect you have already) and get the address from via over the phone, Instant message or email.
Be sure to reply and tell me your results or problems!
Non-related links to other pages I have Written
- Random Tip Of The Day - *No: 101* - Run a Virus Update/Check Everyday (but..)
- Random Tip Of The Day - *No: 102* - A Good Way To Look After Your Skin
- Random Tip Of The Day - A Tip on How to Feel Better When You Wake Up in the Morning
- Random Tip Of The Day - *No: 104* - The Best Ways To Avoid Alzheimer's Disease
- Random Tip Of The Day - *No: 105* - The Best Ways To Back Up Work On The Computer & How To Recov
- People Should Drink More (BPA Free) Water