Have You Considered These Creative Careers?
Taking a passion and turning it into a job is something that many people dream of doing. For those with a creative side, there are lots of vocations out there that can make use of their talents.
When you're thinking about what career you want to follow, it's important to consider all of your options. If you've got a creative streak, there's a diverse range of jobs that you can look at to find your vocation. In this article we'll explore what some of those roles could be and provide some inspiration when it comes to making the right career choice for you. In this article, we'll consider the following careers:
- Professional business writer
- Instructor or teacher
How can you start on the creative career ladder?
For many of these positions, there are several ways that you could approach them:
- Joining a business or organization that specializes in these areas, proving yourself and working your way up
- Joining as an intern to get experience before exploring other job opportunities
- Setting up your own business providing these services and employing others
- Working as a freelancer with private clients
- Offering your services through online marketplaces online like odesk, or elance
Ultimately, your choices will depend on your experience, expertise and how much effort you want to dedicate to pursuing your dream career.
Professional business writer
Professional business writers produce copy in many different fields. You might specialize in marketing materials, ad copy, press releases, communications, instruction manuals, training materials, white papers or something else. Perfect for people with:
- An excellent grasp of the English language.
- An understanding of business.
- The ability to get their point across in a compelling and concise way.
Whether you're photographing people, events, products or something else, there are many fields that a photographer can specialize in. Some photographers make a good living photographing weddings and other celebrations, whilst others focus on more niche subjects. Perfect for people with:
- An innate understanding of composition and what makes a good image.
- Strong technical skills with photographic equipment.
- The ability to know what an audience wants to see.
The ever-increasing popularity of the internet and online news sources has significantly changed the role of the journalist. Despite this, there are still areas where journalists can shine, and whether it's general news reporting or specializing in a specific topic, letting people know about the latest developments remains a very important skill. Perfect for people with:
- A strong interest in current events or with specialist knowledge in a particular area.
- The ability to tell an engaging story.
- Good skills in rapport and communication.
There are many possibilities for designers in the job market. Whether you're interested in graphic design, product design, website design or something else, creating eye-catching content and products that engage with people is a great talent. Perfect for people with:
- The ability to work closely with clients to understand their briefs.
- The technical expertise to learn and use various software applications.
- The willingness to vary an approach and work based on what a client wants.
Instructor or teacher
If you have a creative skill yourself, you might want to think about whether you could teach it to others. Whether it's a physical activity, an artistic pursuit or a more formal subject, there are some great opportunities to instruct others, either in groups or one-on-one. Perfect for people with:
- A good working knowledge of the theory and practice of a creative skill.
- An understanding of the best ways to teach and instruct others.
- The ability to manage groups of people and get a point across.
As one of the 'purest' of the creative pursuits, being an artist is all about expressing your vision in a way that other people can understand and appreciate. If you're interested in becoming an artist you'll need to have an original approach that helps your work to get noticed. Perfect for people with:
- A good network of artistic contacts and connections.
- The ability to work by themselves for long periods to create art.
- A unique perspective that excites and inspires an audience.
If you want to create a legacy with your work, then architecture could be the right choice for you. Architects get involved in projects of all sizes, from individual family homes up to huge buildings that can dominate a city's skyline. Architecture combines creativity, engineering and construction. Perfect for people with:
- An understanding of how people interact with space and buildings.
- The ability to create and share their vision.
- Skills in maths, physics, engineering, design and construction.
Thoughts on creative careers
What's your favorite creative career?
Whatever creative career you choose, it's a great way to take something that you have a real passion for and turn it into your vocation.
Spend some time researching roles in areas that you're interested in, approach local businesses and find out if they have any opportunities.
You might need to start out at the bottom of the ladder, but if you can demonstrate your skill and build your experience and expertise, you'll be able to develop a career doing what you love.