- Business and Employment»
- E-Commerce & How to Make Money Online
Engage Your Blog Readers with Content Curation
One reason that people are loyal to a blog is the value of content being produced on it on a regular basis. And one of the ways to achieve this is through an occasional content curation plan.
If you have developed and executed a content marketing strategy for your business, and are able to build a community of loyal customers through it, they will very much appreciate it if you incorporate content curation into your overall content marketing plan.
What is Content Curation?
This is simply an act of collecting valuable, helpful and informative content from various reliable sources, adding intelligent annotations and publishing them on your blog. The gathered information used for this purpose is highly targeted, and tailored to a specific group of people, with a definite interest.
For example, if your blog’s theme is about fishing, and your readers are fishing fanatics, you should curate content that pertains to their interest – fishing. You will learn how to do this by the time you finish reading this article. The content can be in any of the following formats: blog posts or articles, videos, ebooks, webinars, podcasts, case studies and press releases.
How Content Curation Can Benefit Your Business
Curating content now and then for your target audience will give you the following benefits.
- Organic traffic. Curated and well optimized content will rank high on Google and other search engines like Yahoo and Bing. This will make it easy for potential clients to find you, and consume your valuable information. And as a result, convert them into followers.
- Relationship building. Besides your own content, sharing relevant and valuable information from various sources with your blog followers will strengthen your relationship with them, and enhance their existing trust with you.
- Thought leadership development. This activity will make your followers perceive you as a thought leader in your industry, and consequently give you their business.
- Community engagement. Like minded people enjoy sharing their opinion on topics of their interest. Curating content within their theme of interest will bring them together, and motivate them to share their views on the curated information.
3 Important Tools for Content Curation
Following are the tools you will need for curating content, with a brief explanation of their functions.
1. Blog. This will house all curated content that you produce. In other words, it will be the foundation or storehouse for all curated information.
2. Social media outlets like Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin. These will be used to notify your blog readers who hang out on these platforms about curated content on the blog.
3. Newsletters. Besides social networking sites, you will use this to inform your list of subscribers about content curation on the blog.
Do not limit yourself to the above tools alone. Utilize other content distribution channels that you use for your content marketing strategy, too.
5 Steps to Curating Content for Your Readers
1. Scour your blog archive to determine the articles or content that had received lots of engagement when they were first published. This shows that your audience is more interested in that particular topic.
2. Gather a list of reliable sources of information on the same theme, search through the sources, and fish out content that you deem interesting and relevant for your audience. The information should be on the same topic.
3. To make the gathering process simple, subscribe to various RSS feeds of your chosen sources. The titles of the content will show up in your RSS feeds account where you will be able to glean interesting information for the curation task.
4. Now, put them together in one source with links back to the original sources where your readers can consume the rest of the content. In other words, publish the gathered content as a blog post on your website. Assign a paragraph each for the information with a brief comment explaining why you deem it valuable, and link back to the original source.
Before you hit the publish button, give the content a magnetic headline, and add a brief comment as an introduction. This must hook the interest of your readers. Include a summary at the bottom as the conclusion. And encourage them to leave comments and share it on their preferred social networking sites to make it engaging.
5. After publishing, notify your blog’s followers on various content distribution channels using the tools mentioned above. Encourage them to leave comments and share it with their peers on their preferred social networking platforms to make it engaging.
Content curation is a very effective way to provide more value to your blog followers. By following the above tips and steps, you can easily incorporate a content curation plan into your overall content marketing strategy.