- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
Top Ideas For Craft Fair Displays
Best Craft Fair Tips And Ideas
Are you planning to do craft fairs? Are you a crafter who would like to make extra money selling at craft fairs? These fairs or shows can be a steady source of income either full time or part time, if you understand how to show and organize your crafts.
When you do craft fairs, you will be paying a fee for your table or booth. The idea is to make money, not come home empty handed. Utilizing these tips and ideas, you will find that your income will rise !
What Are You Going To Sell?
Seems like a silly question, but give it some thought. Are you specializing in one specific craft that is unusual or unique. Are you doing a broader concept like southwest jewelry? Or are you going seasonal like Christmas? It's important in your business plan to define what you are actually doing and selling in order to be profitable.
If you sell clothing of any kind, make sure to have a full length mirror
Your Inventory-Do You Have Enough Goods
The first question that you need to ask yourself is do you have enough goods to sell for the amount of traffic? There is no point to even sign up to do a craft show or sale unless you have the goods to sell. before you set out to so a show, visit several shows or fairs to see the amount of inventory that other sellers have. You will need to anticipate having more inventory than you need. Most organizers will not be happy if you have to close early because you have nothing to sell. Build your inventory before you set out for the first time !
Before you do any shows you should have an inventory of all of your goods. That way you can balance your sales with the inventory you have left. Get free inventory sheets for your craft sale-click here
Have A Logo Board Or Sign
Brand Yourself To Earn More
The best sellers at craft shows and fairs, know one important thing...how to brand themselves. That means that they have a name and have created a sign using that name. Branding yourself can be easy to do. First of course is to select your name. It can be as easy as using your own name. Next you select two colors that best represent what you are selling. If you sell jewelry for example, you may want to use gold or silver. Seasonal goods evoke those special colors. Things of the ocean, blue come to mind. Pick your two colors and then get a sign. It can be as simple as having one made at your local Office Depot or Staples. Or you can make it yourself , using a wooden sign and some letters from your local craft store. Be creative and make your sign large enough for people to see
You can also display your name on a tablecloth that is made for your booth !
Make sure to make up or have made up business cards that reflect your colors and style
Make Your Display Uniquely Your Own
In just a few steps, you can create the kind of booth or display that will attract attention. Remember, your goal is to attract customers. When people are attracted to your space, your potential for sales go higher.
- Be colorful! Choose backdrops that either compliment or contrast the elements of your display.
- Announce your brand ! Be sure to have a banner placed so that people can find you !
- Use a garland to add to your display. Use tassels. pompoms or flowers.
Display Any Craft Awards You Have Won ! Even if it's a blue ribbon at your local county fair, it's important to showcase your talent !
This is one of the best ones for the price. It's easy to set up and stores really well Will keep your merchandise out of the sun and rain !
Your Personal Craft Fair Space - Great Investment For All Crafters
There are times when you are going to be outdoors at various shows and fairs. Sitting out in the sun is no joy ! And more than that, waching your merchandise get wet and ruined could break your efforts alltogether. This is an essential for all serious craft businesses
When And Where Are You Going To Sell?
You can locate lots of information from your local papers where craft fairs are being held. Check with your local Chamber of Commerce for information on what local events are held yearly. Gather your information and set up a schedule for yourself. Remember, the prime indoor spots (and the outdoor spots) will go fast. So you will want to have contact with the organizer as soon as possible to get the spot that will make you the most money.
The second thing to think about is how close to home do you want to be? Are you willing to go farther to make more? Or are you wanting to stick closer to home and do local church fairs? Remember, that there are time and cost considerations to consider, especially as you start out.
Craft Show Set Up
Your Dazzling Display - How To Attract Attention And Sell More
Outside of your crafts, the most important thing you can create is a dazzling display for your goods. Remember, you are trying to get the attention of the traffic. If your display is mediocre, you will not sell a thing. Spend time creating something that will attract attention and interest. Have a theme and carry it through your display.Create something special that will cause a buzz in the room and I guantee you will sell more and make a name for yourself within your community.
More Craft Display Ideas:
- Make A Display That Shows You How To Use Or Display Your Product- If you make clothing or something you can wear, make sure to display those items by wearing them yourself. display your products on hangers. Use jewelry display pieces. If you have seasonal décor , display them as you might use them.
- Go Vertical With Your Displays-Utilize your space with vertical displays. But make sure that all displays are secure
- Display Small Items Grouped Together In A Container With Rice Or Beans To Hold Them. Items grouped together will create interest.
- Group Similar Items Together To Create Impact You will draw more attention to your display
- Make Sure That All Display Items Look Clean And Are Well Maintained
- Make Good Lighting A Top Priority- Find a spotlight to focus on your "wow " items. Or use a flood light to highlight a whole wall. Make sure that the lighting you use is not too hot or that it shines in anyone's eyes
- Make Sure That All Items Are Priced And The Price Is Visible
- Be Colorful- Use a backdrop that contrasts or compliments your display
- Chose backdrops that compliment your products. Use your theme colors if possible
Use an area rug over the grass in a coordinating color ! Your booth will look very professional and will draw more people in ! Remnants and area rugs look very nice.
Lighting For Your Display
Indoor or outdoors, it is important to have adequate lighting on your display. Find a spotlight to focus on your Wow items ! Or use a floodlight to focus on a complete wall. Make sure that lights don't get too hot or shine in your customers eyes.
More Vertical Ideas For Craft Fair Displays
You need to utilize the space that you have by going vertical. It is pleasing to the eye and will help sell faster. Remember that your booth is your storefront. Make it the best possible display of your goods that you can
Whenever you go vertical, make sure that your display pieces are secured. Don't take a chance that your display will fall.
- Think Vertical Never put everything flat on your table. It is important to utilize your space. Create upright displays using peg board or message boards that you have hinged . These can be covered with the material of your choice. Remember, you only have about two minutes to catch someone's eye or they move on
- Make sure to price everything Make sure that you clearly price all your items. use tags or large clear signage that people can read. More than likely they will not buy is they have to ask you the price
- Wear Your Products Whenever Possible It shows pride in your work and it's another way to display your goods
- If You Have A Facebook Page Or Website, create a brochure or one page hand out. Include pictures and items that you would like to feature. Make sure to give the location of your onsite blogs, facebook pages, and websites. Give one of these handouts to each customer that talks to you or purchases. Have a rack with these available for people to take with them
- Keep It Simple, But Keep It Lovely Your display area should be uncluttered, but have an ambience that draws people to it. Lighter colors that frame your logo nicely will add a touch that will be attractive and appealing. Too many items jamed together will only confuse people and they will walk away
- Have A Demonstration Or A Handout If you are selling products like craft supplies, it is important to have a demo of what they can do. Make up little cards or have something to give away. make sure that your information is clearly shown. Show the benefits of what you make and you will make more money
- Neatness counts. Cover all display tables with tablecloths. Your extra inventory can be hidden underneath, That makes it easy to replace goods when needed
- Add A Garland Or a Banner To The Front Of Your Booth. It will attract a lot of attention.
Do A Pre-Show Set Up
Before you set out with your goods, do a complete set up of your items. Take a picture of your set up to make it easier when you are actually at the show. Your setup will go a lot faster
Make Sure That Everything Is Clearly Marked
It is super important that all your items are clearly marked either by sign or tag. Having to stop and answer customer questions will cost you sales. Make sure to use tags that can be removed....not those gummy backed tags. Customers don't like to have to remove them.
Vendor Booth Tips
Never Sit At Your Booth Reading A Book If traffic is slow, it's very tempting to pick up your book or kindle. It will be a complete turn off for customers to see you as being bored. Better to have some sewing or project in your hands that woulf engage them in conversation
Weatherproofing Your Booth
It's important to consider the weather, especially if you are doing an outdoor booth. The first thing to consider is weighting your tent down. Make sure to add weights is all four corners of your tent. They can be something like a brick or a rock. You could paint them in your theme colors.
You will also need to weight your table cloths so that they don't constantly blow around.
Magnetic Board craft displays are perfect for all kinds of small items or products that you want to highlight
Hit The Thrift Stores For Display Materials Think out of the box when it comes to display materials. Anything vintage or themed to your display will add lots of interest and more display area. Think about racks, clothes racks, boxes, and suitcases
Be Prepared To Accept Credit Cards
You will make more and bigger sales by being able to do it
Help For Your Craft Fair-Do's and Don'ts
There are going to be times when you need an extra pair of hands for your craft fair. Either for set up, breakdown, lunch and potty breaks. No matter if you are paying someone or not, your "help" should be handling your craft area as if it were their own.
- Make sure that they are not using their phone or texting at any time while you are away. This is a big no-no. People will perceive that they have no interest in serving them and will walk past your area
- Make sure they smile at people and are friendly. They need to be visible, say hello and smile to everyone. Even if someone walks by your booth, you never know when they will come back or refer someone to you
- They need to know some specifics on the items that you are selling
- If they can't answer question, they need to let the customer know when you will be back and /or give them your business card
- Take turns with restroom breaks and lunches. That way your booth is always covered
- Make sure that your "help" is familiar with your products. If they have to ask your help, it will distract from potential sales
Free Craft Fair Resources
- Free Craft Fair Check List
Craft Fair Checklist: Guides & Displays for Your Best Sales Ever! | See more about Craft Fairs, Crafts and Display.
- Craft fair table cover
This is a must have for any craft fair. Table covers are easy to make and make your booth look amazing! :D I finally broke down and bought a table in...
Consider making kits of your handmade items to get more sales