jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

The more traffic I have, the lower my CPM...Why?

1. eddiecarrara profile image96
    eddiecarraraposted 6 years ago

The more traffic I have, the lower my CPM...Why?

I lost all my traffic on the last Panda update but it's back and it has doubled, that's the good news.  My CPM use to be around $13, now that my traffic has doubled it's down to $5.  Can anyone explain this to me? Is it because the ads that are running now are a lower paying ad? My problem is, the more impressions I have the lower the CPM drops. It's like I being penalized for more traffic.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 6 years ago

CPM is simply what advertisers are willing to pay. Then it applies to per 1000 views.

3. Shake it up profile image50
    Shake it upposted 6 years ago

There are a number of possible reasons for this.

For example, the last quarter of the year is the biggest selling season, and so it's likely advertisers have increased their ad budgets and what they're willing to pay.

Secondly, it depends upon what particular hubs are getting a traffic boost. Some topics attract a lot more visitors, but aren't conducive to big advertising dollars. So if you get a bump in traffic on those, it could drive your CPM down.

Having said that, there have been times I've noticed where the CPM drops so much it appears to be a little unrealistic for those who work hard to make a little extra money. The worst I've seen has been when CPM has dropped from between the 2 to 3 range (for the overall group of hubs).

It would be nice to have Hubpages management explain, beyond the couple of things mentioned above, why it can drop that low.

4. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 6 years ago

The most likely answer is that your CPM is lower due to dilution.  Most often, it's NOT due to ads paying less but the fact that you are getting much more traffic but not an increase in advertisement interaction (ad clicks) from those new visitors.