This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Do you automatically try to appear busy when the boss is around?

1. rutley profile image73
    rutleyposted 5 years ago

Do you automatically try to appear busy when the boss is around?

It also could pertain to your spouse.

2. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Well Rutley....I'm retired, so this question doesn't actually apply to me.  However, I wanted to share with you that before I retired, I WAS the Boss....and I can tell you quite honestly that I "was around," all the time.  My staff really didn't have an opportunity to take it easy or have down time, except for their allowed breaks and lunch time.....So, no one had to "try" to appear busy.  They were all, genuinely busy.  I might add that they were all quite happy too.  My team all got along and worked beautifully together.  In addition they were paid well and had great benefits.
    And I believe herein lies the solution to poorly-performing employees......
    If you want excellent performance from your employees.....be fair, honest and pay people what they are worth.  Run a tight ship with rules and regs.....clear cut responsibilities and TRAIN them well from Day one.  Offer incentives and be professional at all times.  Keep a clear, bold line drawn between Boss and staff or management and employees.......That defining line has to be drawn for a successful outcome.

rutleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that!  Great information, and thanks for always answering my questions no matter how goofy they are!

2. fpherj48 profile image78
      fpherj48posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Questions are never "goofy."   A little different, perhaps or maybe unusual.....but everyone should learn to ASK, if there is something they have a need or desire to know.  The result would be fewer DUMB mistakes!!   I like your questions.

3. Amy Becherer profile image74
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

Before the recession, which resulted in company layoffs, including mine, I handled a fast-paced, multi-tasking position as receptionist/administrative assistant.  I was busy all day everyday, with no time to watch the clock or even take but a brief break.  I answered and directed all incoming calls on the busy, 8-line  switchboard, "buzzed in" and greeted all guests, clients and vendors, did all the typing (letters, proposals and change orders), prepared all outgoing mail, distributed all incoming mail, handled myriad data entry, including purchase orders, and ordered office supplies plus special projects as necessary.  The hours flew with no time to waste.  I had no time to pretend I was working, as I had too many responsibilities to fulfill every day.  I was a vital part of the team and took great pride in the excellent care I gave to my job.  I made the job my own by initiating new responsibilities to make the office run efficiently and implemented organizational skills to streamline the team effort so each day proved as productive as possible.

rutleyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Amy.  My job is exactly as yours.

working