- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs»
- Mail Order & Internet/Web Businesses
Top Ten Auction Sites Other than Ebay!
Don't Get Stuck In an Ebay Rut!
There is no denying that you can find and sell just about anything on
Ebay. It is the easiest place to start an online business for yourself
but everyday more and more people are taking their selling and buying
adventures to other sites. If you're reading this you're probably aware
of Ebay's high fees are how easy it is for them to just shut you down.
There are more and more horror stories of Ebay just accusing honest
sellers of breaking their 'rules' and in the blink of an eye your
business is shut down without any legitimate reasons. What's worse is
it is virtually impossible to have a real conversation with anyone at
Ebay or get a 'non-generic' answer to your question or argument of
accusation. So where do you go when you feel like your business has
just been ruined and your life has been turned upside down? There are
plenty of up and coming auction sites and a few of them have the real
potential of being the next big thing.
1. Ebid.net - This site was founded in 1999 and boy has it grown! With 2.4 million auctions, 9500 categories, $0 listing fees, 5 free photos and is available in 18 countries.....it is hot on Ebay's tail of auction sites. Opening a store are free on Ebid AND you can snag your feedback from Ebay. So, if you are like most of us good hardworking powersellers and dread the thought of leaving behind your great feedback and starting from scratch, fear no more....my feedback was imported in about an hour after I emailed and requested it AND a real person responded to my email and answered my question and took care of my need immediately. There's great forums on this site and pretty much from what i can see, all of the sellers are former Ebay sellers. You can also choose to have auctions relisted as many times as you like for free too. The only downside I see is I think there are a lot more sellers then buyers but the site is growing fast and with more awareness I predict this site taking over as the auction number one.
2. Ecrater.com - This site is 100% free! Its extremely easy to build a store and my listings were showing up in number one and two positions in Google searches within a day of start up. So far this site according to my 'views' seems to get me the most audience. It doesn't offer an auction but I just put on all my listings that reasonable offers are considered with my fixed price so they can just email me. And did I mention it's %100 free. No listing fees. No sold fees. Just a great site.
3. Onlineauction.com - Home of the OLA house! Like a store....but it's a house instead. Sellers pay a set fee per week/month/year or life and can list unlimited and sell unlimited and the fee is small! There is a small additional charge to open an OLA house but compared to Ebay's fees you can pretty much open stores and have listings on ten sites for the price of listing and closing fees on Ebay. This site offers classic, fixed price, dutch, absolute and sealed auctions, a little something for everyone. Four free photos are included with each listing as well as free 'relisting' with anything not sold. This site is definitely fun with the OLA house and there's a lot of unique things sold here. Definitely one worth checking out.
4. Ioffer.com - This is a little smaller site and from what I've seen has an average of around 35,000 users online at a time. $0 listing fees and a free store here too and here's another site you can transfer your listings and feedback from Ebay! This small community has a great 'wanted' section too so if there's something you're looking for...post it here! ioffer showed my items on Google search fairly quickly too.
5. Plunderhere.com - This site I would have ranked as my number 2 option if it wasn't for the simple reason I haven't used it as long to give it a fair evaluation but from what I've seen it's right behind ebid.net and definitely a better quality site than Ebay. Again here, you can import your listings from Ebay, ecrater, etsy, ioffer and a handful of other sites. Its free to join and only $2.50 to become a verified seller. I love the layout of this site. Its so easy to use and there's fun auction titles like $10.00 and under etc. Plunderhere.com is definitely one to put on your list of sites to sell and buy!
6. Epier.com - Here again....a free storefront for you! Epier has some really unique stores on it. This site is better for more original sellers that have something different to sell from the rest. If you have something not so popular I think it has a real chance here. It's free so give it a try!
7. Etsy.com -This is a site that will become my number one or at least my number two eventually when I start branching off more into selling other items. This could easily be your number one and only site depending on what you sell. Here is a site dedicated to all things handmade and designed. Awesome search options include search by color, handpicked by members, undiscovered, local, and just listed. If you are a crafty person and are putting in the time to make something...you will sell it here! If you're a buyer or a browser, check out this site! There are some amazing, original and wonderful items on here.
8. Cafepress.com - Now here's your chance to become a designer, have some fun and make some money. Not so good if you have something to sell but if you're looking to 'make' something its perfect. You can design shirts, mousepads, waterbottles...just about anything. Oh and its free! You design it, pick the mark up on the product and when it sells...Cafepress.com gets their price and you get the profit. Try it out! You may discover a talent you never knew you had.
9. Powersellersunite.com - Not an auction site but it is a site you want to check out to unite with other sellers fed up with Ebay. Full of forums and links to helpful sites to build your business anywhere except Ebay! Loads of helpful information here.
10. I dont have a favorite for a number ten site but I do have a handful of other sites. Some of them small but they may be the perfect place for whatever you're selling. Everyone has their own niche and a site that's good for me may not be good for you and vice versa so here's some other sites you may want to check out.... oztion.com, atomicmall.com, yourhighbid.com, hibidder.com, overstock.com, wagglepop.com, bidtopia.com, buy.com, bidville.com, cqout.com, theshopswap.com and delcampe.net.
These sites dont even begin to touch the sites available if your product is books/games/ movies etc! Point being.... don't get stuck in an Ebay rut! There are other options out there and although sales may not be huge on that site as first....compared to paying fees with Ebay, you can use several sites and find the one(s) you love. The more people become aware of other sites the more they will leave Ebay behind. Sellers are fed up with being taken for granted and are all uniting to find better ways to build their future! If everyone spreads the word we will all be making a lot more money, being treated a lot better, and putting those high fees behind. Good luck to you!!!