Job search in Canada
Are you looking for job in Canada?
Are you new in Canada and looking for a job in this country? Are you prepared for it and how much do you know about Canadian job market? Below there is simple test to check your knowledge about it and some useful links you will need in your search for a job.
Job search skills test
- Mark 3 occupational areas that are predicted to have the greatest growth over the next five years.
- government service
Check answers below
- Correct answers are a) d) e). Due to the aging baby-boomers, the booming industries in the next 5 years will be in health and entertainment, including travel. Due to the continued construction boom in Toronto , all of the skilled trades are in high demand.
- b) At present there are approximately 8000 different occupations listed in the National Occupation Classification book (NOC). The number of occupations is constantly changing with advances in technology and new trends in the labour market.
- c) The average person will changes careers at least 5 times during his or her career span. It is important to do career planning to assist you in this process.
- a) Direct contact with employers is the most common way that people find work. Networking and personal contacts are the second most frequent way. 70-80% of jobs are not advertized. This mean that job seekers must find other ways besides the use of the job banks and ads in order to find open positions.
- b) The employer forms an impression of the applicant within the few minutes. 90% of applicants forget to smile. How you present yourself (dress, posture, handshake) is crucial in the interview in order to make a positive first impression.
- a) c) e) According to the Conference Board of Canada, employers consider the most important attribute to be a positive attitude. Other important factors are dependability and ability to get along with others and use initiative as a team player. Flexibility can be very important in certain jobs and commitment to getting the job/project done is more important than commitment to the employer.
- a) The shorter and more power-packed the resume, the greater the likelihood that it will be read! A winning resume is usually not more that 2 pages.
- c) It takes the average job seeker up to 4 months to find a job in a good economy and can take up to 6 months in a recession.
Job search agencies in Canada
It is just short list of employment agencies in Canada, but it will help you to get started.
Government website offering the different options available on the site for employers as well as job seekers.
This tool will help you identify the name of your occupation in Canada and provide you with a detailed labour market information report (containing job duties, skill requirements, wage rates, etc.) for a chosen location in Canada.
Brainhunter has been a recognized leader in contract and permanent staffing, project-based-ISO certified teams, and outsourcing solutions.
IMS Group specializes in contingency recruitment services in the fields of Information Technology, Life Sciences, Engineering, and Finance and Accounting.
Workopolis is the authoritative source for finding jobs in Canada. Search for job opportunities in all fields. Start planning your career and post your resume.
Use Monster's resources to create a killer resume, search for jobs, prepare for interviews, and launch your career.
Randstad Canada is the Canadian leader for staffing, recruitment and HR Services.
The 500 is one of Canada's leading organizations providing full-time and temporary staffing solutions to companies across Canada. Established in 1953, The 500 is well positioned to assist both the job seeker and client organization in two distinct ar
Whether you're an employee looking for an IT job, or an employer looking for IT staffing, recruiting, or consulting services, Modis can help.
altis Human Resources - Employment & Staffing services with jobs in the GTA, Western Canada and Ottawa-Gatineau
Job postings, professional career and consulting services specializing in information technology. Includes updated database of candidates and job opportunities, job search resources, tips and articles.