Learning to Sell Wholesale
Having worked in the retail/wholesale field as a producer and sales rep and having written three eGuides to help producers sell their products to retailers, I can highly recommend Meryl Hooker and Rob Fortier. Their co-authored book on Pushing the Envelope is a industry classic!
Authors, Meryl Hooker is a fellow sales rep and speaker/consultant; Her business partner and co-author is Rob Fortier, a greeting card manufacturer. Both of them bring a balanced view of working with sales reps.
Some of the point you will learn in this book:
- How to get your greeting card line ready for reps
- Tips on searching for reps
- What you can expect from reps, and what they expect from you
- How to deal with rep territories and pay commission
- Tools and tricks to keep your relationships with reps on-track
- Industry lingo that sales reps and retailers will expect you to know
- How to grown your line and keep reps interested in your products
Meryl and Rob go into great detail to help producers know the right way to set up their business to make it 'rep ready'. I loved their special tips included in the text with their personal viewpoint on the particular point. And as a sales rep myself, I can attest that their tips and advice are right on!!
Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. They had me laughing and crying over the some of the same stories I had dealt with myself as a roady sales rep.
Even thought the book is written from the perspective of the greeting card industry, the down-to-earth tips can be applied to any gift or retail industry!
As a companion to Pushing the Envelope, I also recommend a second book by Meryl Hooker and Rob Fortier:
Written in the same entertaining style of Meryl and Rob, this book guides producers through the Trade Show exhibiting process.
Topics addressed in the book include::
- Pre-show planning: Budgeting and booth planning
- During the show: Booth etiquette and talking with buyers
- After the show
For more information on learning to sell wholesale, check out Selling Wholesale to Gift and Retail Shops