- Business and Employment»
- Business Management & Leadership
Sample Project Plan for Deploying Nation-wide Data Network Infrastructure
This is a sample project plan that may help IT infrastructure designer to design a country-wise data network connectivity establishment.To get a quick glimpse on how to build and implement a data network (WAN), just go through the following sample project plan that I prepared as a baseline for one of my projects.
Project name: Countrywide Government Data Network Establishment
Objectives of the Project:
Objective of the assignment is to assist the government in developing the network solutions for the data connectivity of all the major cities, towns and all the governmental organization including all the ministries with high speed data connectivity.
The entire project can be divided into the following phases.
- Analyze the existing LAN/WAN infrastructure.
- Prepare a proposal for the optimization / reorganization and development of the network infrastructures.
- Making the initial deployment plan including costing, duration and resources and
outline a preliminary list of network equipment essential for data network establishment.
- Prepare a training plan for IT staff for the network deployment and maintenance.
- Network deployment stages.
- Network monitoring and auditing cell.
- Documentation of the network and final handover to Government.
The table below sets out the draft project plan, including project phases
Analyze the existing LAN/WAN infrastructure
Phase A completion time
Prepare a proposal for the optimization / reorganization and development of the network infrastructures.
Phase B starts after the ending of phase A
Making the initial deployment plan including costing, duration and resources and outline a preliminary list of network equipments essential for network establishment;
Phase C starts after the end of Phase B or Phase A or can run simultaneously with phase B
Prepare a training plan for IT staff for the network deployment and maintenance
After finishing the phase C Phase D starts
Network deployment stages.
Phase E starts after the phase D
Establishment of network monitoring and auditing cell and feed back report for further improvement.
Phase F can be kept monitoring and auditing while deployment phase E going on by a audit team on site
Final auditing report will be sumitted after the phase F and before the starting of phase G
Time table six is reserved for the fixing the problems found in auditing.
Documentation of the network and final handover to Government.
This phase starts after the phase F
Analyze the existing LAN/WAN infrastructure of all the cities, town , governmental organizations and ministries
- Analyze existing LAN/WAN infrastructure report, prepared by Information-Analytical Department of the government and examine the government’s requirements.
- Preparing solution for urgent temporary merging of existing LAN/WANs to meet the government’s requirements.
- Prepare a final assessment report based on the analysis of the existing network.
Prepare a proposal for the optimization / reorganization and development of the data infrastructure:
- Analyze the market of local communications (lines) owners/providers and
- Propose a viable solution for communications link setup across the country.
- Calculating the estimated cost of the network optimization / reorganization and deployment.
- Outline a preliminary list of network equipments essential for network establishment; Submitting a complete project plan to Government for approval
Designing a countrywide network infrastructure.
- Analyze available options for the establishment and improvement of the existing data connectivity from the capital to the all the major cities and towns considering various communication channels.
- Analyze the possibility of reactivating existing fiber optic lines of the government agencies for use and prepare a cost estimate and time-frame for reactivation.
- Design network connectivity solutions based on the Government requirements;
- Drafting system requirements and technical specifications for the establishment of physical network connections;
- Calculating estimated the total cost of initial setup and annual service charges of the network connections;
- Outline a preliminary list of network equipments essential for network establishment.
- Project implementation risk assessment and management plan.
- Assist Government in evaluating of tender proposals.
Prepare training plan for IT staff for deployment and maintenance:
- Plan a short term local training for IT specialists on network installation/support, calculate estimated cost of trainings.
- Communicate with the Head hunting firms for the required experts and consultants.
Network Deployment Stages
Network deployment would be done in four stages.The entire country will be divided into four zones-East,West, North, South. At the first stage all the small towns in each zone will be connected to a high speed backbone(20G) that will be connected to the major cities of the corresponding zones. The requirements for the high speed secure data connectivity from the major cities to the capitol will be implemented under the second stage of deployment. At the third stage data connectivity redundancy among all the major cities, town and cities to the capital will be implemented.In final stage network performance monitoring, measurement and documentation of the network will be performed before the final handover to government personals.
For each city data network establishment there will be a team leader under whom capital to the major cities data link and the city network establishment team will work. These team leaders willundertake the responsibility of the deployment of the first three stages step by step. At the final stage of this project team leaders will work with the network performance measurement & auditing team for final handover of the network.
Based on the government’s volume of connectivity and redundancy of the system all the three
implementation phase duration, cost and resource of the project would be estimated.
Establishing Network monitoring, auditing cell.
As per requirements Network operation center will be established which includes the following responsibilities:
- A central network monitoring system capable of fault management, configuration Management, alerting, monitoring critical servers and data links, system log monitoring etc.
- Network performance report generation and evaluation.
- Network monitoring parameters and responses as per key performance parameter changes.
- Disaster recovery, business continuity and database backup solution plan.
- Monitoring and evaluation report of physical security and information security.
- Logical structure of the Network monitoring cell.
- Audit report of information security and management.
Introduction to Project Planning
Documentation of the network and final handover to Government.
- Making the physical layout of the entire network.
- Asset list of the network equipments.
- Labeling and database of the each part of the communication equipments’ links.
- List of space parts.
- A database of the communication ports linking every offices of the government.
- Handover of all the documents to Government.
Questions to be clarified by the government before the network Assessmet stage:
- How each town, cities ,regional headquarters and organizations will remain connected to Internet. Options can range from local ISP,wireless modem (mobile operators), WiMAX etc.
- Minimum data bandwidth requirement in each office and per user basis minimum bandwidth requirements.
- What are the information security requirements of each level of governmental office.
- Identify the major sites where redundant links need to be deployed of reliability of communications.
- Number of Network operation centers. It can be a central operation center or can have a number of regional operation center or a combination of both.
- What are the requirements for backup of database.
- What are the requirements of physical security of the data equipments.
- Remote maintenance and alarm system requirements of the network.
- Requirements of the Intrusion detection and prevention system.
- Requirements for the network disaster management and recovery plan.
- Who will provide the power solutions, third party software, experts, and equipment supply.
- How the equipments will be supplied and managed and who will be responsible to provide the WAN links.
13. Requirements and specifications for the establishment of WAN connections.
14. What are the requirements for power backup plan.
To implement a similar project you need a strong project team, the next step is to build your project team.The number of project members will depend on the estimated project duration and how committed you are to finish the project before the projected time-line of the project plan.This is sample project plan is just to give a head start to the beginners looking for a reference to develop their project plan.Just add more specific information to each phase of this sample plan such as communication hardware requirements,total number of networking equipments including model numbers, total length of optical cables to deploy etc.