- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Getting Traffic for Your Articles
Top 10 Benefits of Social Bookmarking
sites are the place where we save links of web pages, blogs, hubpages, articles, video or any other information that we want to share online.There are hundreds of social bookmarking sites and their Social Bookmarking benefits on the internet. I am going to only mention top 10 benefits of these most popular sites like Digg and Delicious. But once you become familiar with these, it is easy to learn the rest because the same principles apply. You’ll find certain features and benefits in common among the larger and more established sites.
Following are the top 10 benefits of social book marking sites:
1. You have an option allowing the bookmarking site to pull your current bookmarks from your computer and transfer them to their site. This makes it easy to get your favorite sites online without a lot of tedious catch up work.
2.You can set it up so the site sends you a notification for specific tags to let you know when someone on the network creates a bookmark using that same tag. This keeps you completely current on any tag you’re interested in.
3. Other users around the globe can see your bookmarks online and making your site hyper‐visible.
4. You can access your bookmarks and all the features of your bookmarking account from any computer that has internet access, giving you complete portability and security—you never have to worry about losing information you have bookmarked.
5. It is a social bookmarking because you can interact with other users to share bookmarks, send messages and comment on content. Therefore, you become part of a trusted community of people sharing similar interests, leading you to more applicable content than search engines are capable of because search engines lack the human element. More importantly, from a marketing perspective, your site is viewed by this community as a trusted resource.
6. At one time, all social bookmarking sites gave you one way links which the search engines recognized and which helped you build Google Page Rank. But some of the social bookmarking sites today instruct Google not to follow the links leading away from their site. Any link created on these sites is called a nofollow link. Because a few of the larger bookmarking sites have done this, it has dissuaded some less informed online marketers from wanting to enter into social bookmarking. But this attitude is misguided.
7. is still an amazing resource for building links and Page Rank. For starters, many high‐ranking social bookmarking sites do not use nofollow links, so your links are counted. Also, there are experts who believe Google may weigh the nofollow links in one form or another in their search algorithm. Their reasoning is that even though Google doesn’t follow the links, your webpage address still shows up as part of the link text and this could be beneficial. Social bookmarking
8. On top of this—and many would argue more importantly—you build links and Page Rank indirectly by building popularity for your site within the social bookmarking communities. As you provide useful, relevant content, many website and blog owners will want to link to your site from theirs as a service to their visitors. There is also rumor on the street that the search engine giants may begin factoring social bookmarking link popularity into their search algorithms. Any way you look at it, it is clear that social bookmarking is a critical part of your link building strategy.
9. Following are some of the most popular social bookmarking sites used today. You may recognize the name of a few, but it’s possible that you never knew they fell into the category of social bookmarking sites.
10. Some of these sites, like Digg, allow individuals to submit content and then have it voted on by other members or users. Others, like Delicious, are much more simple and straight forward in their approach to social bookmarking. Still, once you know the principles behind social bookmarking and become familiar with a couple of social bookmarking sites, you will be able to make your way around any social bookmarking site.