10,000 Views, 100 Followers and 50 Hubs
What It Feels Like to Publish My 50th Hub
This is my 50th hub! Congratulations to me! Coincidentally, I have published my 50th hub around the same time that I have received my 10,000 view and my 100th follower. So, I am celebrating three achievements and what great achievements they are. I am proud of my hubs and ecstatic for having my followers and my viewers. Without them there would be no purpose or reason to write hubs. Thanks to all.
Unlike some Hubpages' members, I am slow to write and slow to publish. I write in spurts non-stop for days at at time and then stop writing for months only to come back to the computer and write as if there were no tomorrow. So, it has taken me two years to accomplish what some hubbers accomplish in months. I am not complaining. I have learned a few things by taking my sweet time. I have learned to be an expert on capsules, I have learned to use keyword research to my advantage, I write niche articles and I promote them through social networks and by building backlinks. By taking my time writing hubs, I have absorbed what works well for others and incorporated it into my own writing. The end result is a high quality hub that is well researched and executed. I become an expert on a particular subject in a short time and relay what I learn to the reader. Basically, I learn something new everyday. This, for me, is the best part of being a writer for Hubpages. I learn something new, become an expert on a topic, write a hub and share what I have learned with an audience that spans the globe. Besides the monetary perks that Hubpages offers to a writer, this is my favorite part of writing. I meet new people and share information with them. It is very rewarding.
How I Use Google Adwords Keywords Tool to Find a Niche for My Hubs
There is a lot of advice out there about using Google Keywords to research a topic and develop a niche. I have been writing and researching online for years. I have been a writer for Associated Content now Yahoo Voices for three times longer than my stint here at Hubpages. I have read a lot of articles about developing a niche. I have studied online and attended seminars about SEO, niche marketing, article marketing, and making an online income. I have spent years weeding through those only out to scam or make a fast buck. Niche marketing is not confusing and does not have to be difficult. Here are a few tips I have learned over the years that will help you to use niche marketing quickly and effectively when writing an article.
- Choose a topic and then break it down into subtopics using Google Adwords Keywords Tool. For instance, I might want to write about coffee, the keyword "coffee" results in several different search terms when I use the Keywords Tool to break down the phrase. The results are widely different. We get coffee beans, green coffee, coffee grinder, best coffee, coffee roasters, wholesale, roasted coffee, coffee machine, cup of coffee and coffee pot as search term results.
- Choose a subtopic and break it down further by using the Keywords Tool. "Coffee roasters" breaks into coffee roaster, home coffee roaster, commercial coffee roasters, home coffee roasters, best coffee roasters, gourmet coffee roasters, specialty coffee roasters, and top coffee roasters.
- Choose a subtopic from the break down and quickly analyze the word or phrase by using the results listed under columns for "Competition" and "Local Monthly Searches" in the Keywords Tools results page. You are looking for low to medium competition results and between 1,000 to 2,000 for a local monthly searches score.
- Use the result and incorporate the search term into your hub's title. The phrase "top coffee roasters" resulted in a medium competition score and a 1,600 local monthly searches score. Top coffee roasters becomes part of my hub title and I use the keyword throughout the body of the article.
- You can take niche marketing further by breaking down your topic again by using the "show more like this" feature on Google Adwords Keywords Tool. I may break down a search term again if my competition and local monthly searches are still too high to be considered a niche or to use the search term as a title for a capsule in my hub.
That is how I develop a niche for writing online. I do not try to analyze it any further than that. If I write a quality hub using my keywords, strive for 800 to 1,500 words, and incorporate quality photos and/or videos or an interactive vote or chart capsule, then I have optimized my hub for Google's search engines and the hub will get readers without any other help on my part. A hub written this way will eventually get indexed into the search engines and will take on a decent rank in the search engines to boot. I do not stop there, however, and use social bookmarks and back links to promote my hubs. This is probably why I do not write as fast as some other Hubpages writers do because I actively promote a new hub as soon as it is written and I continue to promote hubs well after they are written in order to keep the traffic steady.
Social Bookmarks and Back Link Builders That Have Been Effective for Me
LinkedIn works for business contacts. I have met a lot of people here that I have worked with or gone to college with and would not have found on Facebook.
Zurker is currently in beta testing. It is a cool site and can be used like Facebook. I am new here but finding my way around and finding Zurker useful for back links.
I do not think I have to say anything here. I like that most social networking sites will automatically link to Facebook but you have to be careful with this feature because your friends will get sick of repeated posts.
Instantly connect to what's most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news. Twitter, like facebook, is a given!
Pinterest is fun because it is like a cork board. I can hang pictures of fantastic recipes, fashions, pets, travel destinations, art and tons more. Then people share their pins and share my pins. I get some great traffic from this site.
Follow the world's creators. Tumblr is fun because I can just add a photo and link it to my articles and sites. It is a really creative venue with a lot of artistic members.
Digg it at Digg. Easy to use and submit. I like the diverse subject matter from followers and viewing popular stories.
Keep, share, and discover the best of the Web using Delicious, the world's leading social bookmarking service. Delicious is awesome because you can create stacks based on interests and followers can stay on top of your writing and links by subject.
Reddit is the easiest bookmark page to use. Post your link, choose a category and make a comment. It is simple, simple, simple. Hassle free. I always submit to Reddit.com.
I post my "likes" here...which happen to be all of my articles and some from others that really pique my interest. Your bookmarks are displayed nicely with a full page view and it is easy to add followers and meet people here.
I like Google + a lot! It is easier to use than Facebook and I can add people to my circles who share common interests. They do not have to be "friends". I have met many people who share my business interests and who I market to. All with ease!
Other Sites for Making Money Online
If you are creative, you will like Etsy. I sell vintage items, ACEO, paintings and jewelry here. This is a hobby for me, it breaks the routine of writing.
Similar to Hubpages in format but articles must be approved before they are published and only two backlinks are allowed in the Author's Signature box. No links allowed in articles. Payment is based on views, Google Adsense and Chikita.
- Yahoo! Contributor Network
Yahoo Contributor offers assignments that you can chooses to write about. I like that you can choose how you get paid either by views or upfront payments.
- Lensmaster Page at Squidoo
I like Squidoo. I am an eclectic writer and Squidoo offers formats for fun. I can be goofy here and have other avenues for income that are not offered at some sites.
Hub, Hub and Away!
How Many Hubs Have You Published?
- Online Jobs for Teenagers - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Teenagers can earn some extra money buy working from home online. This guide offers a couple of suggestions that can help a teenager earn spending money easily.
- The Best Paid Survey Sites Are Easy to Find - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
The best paid survey sites are easy to find if you know where to look. Many times the sites that are found at the top listing of a search engine pay for their listing to be there. Read More...
- The Women Men Adore Review
Relationships are complicated enough without bad advice taken from a friend mucking it up. Learn how to turn dating and your relationship into a fairy tale romance with insightful dating and relationship tips.