10 Professional Goals to Boost Your Career!
It is no secret that the economy is stagnant. Not only is getting a job tough - but keeping one is more difficult due to enormous competition. The business world going into 2012 is cut throat. There are more people with higher education saturating the market than ever and they are also being forced to take jobs that pay less or have less benefits to offer.
2012 isn't the year to mess up! I researched all the top news stories and found the best tips from CBS, MSN, Harvard, and Forbes to name a few - to bring you the top 10 professional goals to boost your job!
- Wear more lipstick! According to Forbes, the ladies appear more "likable, trustworthy and competent."
- According to Jobsite Insider, "talk about your achievements!"
- "Increase your responsibility," is another key goal to getting a promotion.
I was really tired of the experts. With 20 years of work experience behind me I think I can give you advice much better than this! So here are a list of my top 10 Professional Goals to Boost Your Career.
If you live in Texas...
- Dress Codes for the state of Texas - How to dress like a Texan
Dress Codes for the state of Texas - How to dress like a Texan. Beware of the photo of Leslie of Austin, Tx - He's a real shocker...
Learn Something New!
- HOW TO GET THE IP ADDRESS FROM AN EMAIL
I have been concerned by Emails sent to my friends here at HP. And they suggested a tutorial on how to find the IP address of the sender. IP addresses were assigned to any device connected to the Net. ARPANET, way back in 1969, wanted to link all the
Set A Goal and Stick With It!
- Bring It: P90X Day 90
P90X, created by Tony Horton, is a 90 day journey. After 90 days you will see a complete transformation. Are you ready for the 90 day results from my personal journey?
That's right...moving on up!
Don't forget to help your coworker's out!
- Creating Business Cards How To Make Your Own In Microsoft Word
How to create business cards using Microsoft Word with easy to follow instructions.
- 100 Greatest Supporters Of Sunshine's HubPages
100 hubs on HubPages! Who would have thought I would come this far? Not me, but I did! Thank you to all of my followers and fans for your support.
- Go to work early or at least on time every single day. If you are late frequently set a goal to leave earlier every day. If you set a goal to arrive 15 minutes early you are sure to always arrive on time. No one wants to hear about your dramatic excuses everyday that get wilder and more elaborate.
- Resolve to not participate in office gossip. This can be very difficult so some of us have to make it a goal not to get sucked into all that exciting drama! Don't! The managers know who is doing this and they don't like it one bit! Loose lips sink ships - you won't get promoted if you are disruptive with the drama. It's very annoying to people that do have work to do.
- Dress appropriately in a professional environment. According to many of the experts the key to being noticed is to dress for success. If you work in a professional environment look like a professional. Ladies - no matter how hot you look on the dance floor - don't be tempted to wear those mini skirts to work. Body language experts say you won't get that promotion. Apparently the professional men would like the ladies to leave something to be desired. If you work in a casual environment and everyone wears jeans - wear nice, clean clothes but don't wear anything with holes or stains - anyone can look neat and clean.
- Add a new skill to your resume. Learn how to do something new related to your job. If you work in one specific department ask to cross train for another department. If downsizing occurs you are much less likely to lose your position than the person who only has one skill.
- Take a class at a local community college to learn a second language. Learning a second language can be fun and will not only help you in your profession but in your personal life as well. Many times you can attend an evening class one night each week and the price is very affordable. Which ever language you choose will expose you to a new culture.
- Learn sign language! I have always wanted to take a class to learn sign language. Not only would it allow me to communicate with another group of people but it could be very helpful especially if your job is dealing with the public. Medical professionals could be life savers if they were knowledgeable about this and they had a patient that only knew sign language. This would definitely make your value go up.
- Apply for a better job! If you are happy with your current status then this doesn't apply. If you have been at the same job and it is stagnant or there are no more rooms for advancement - apply for another job that appeals to you. Don't quit your current job until you have secured another job but take your time and read the help wanted ad's in your local paper every day and apply for any jobs that sound exciting and meet your needs. The perfect job will come along and there isn't any sense in working at a job you do not enjoy. Life is to short - love what you do or keep looking.
- No matter how much it hurts - kiss your bosses butt every now and then. No one likes to do this but if you want to achieve success at your work place getting along with your boss is necessary no matter how wrong you think they are. You don't have to like them - just get along with them as best you can. Lets face it - if the boss hates you - you probably aren't going to be getting any promotions, now are you? So if you do want a power boost - leave the lipstick at home and pucker up!
- Get another degree! There are many large corporations, health care facilities and companies that offer tuition reimbursement in the benefit package. Education is not just a great professional goal but can serve as another personal goal that will open more doors for you. If you are tired of your current field of work or there is little opportunity in your current field - go back to school! This will not only allow you to meet new people with common interests but will also broaden your mind and open you up for more opportunities. If you don't have this benefit, student loans are also an avenue you could pursue. Call your local college and ask how easy it is to get back to class!
- Cooperate with your coworkers. Make it a goal to try to help your coworkers if you see that they need assistance. When the work place runs smoother it increases productivity, moral and makes everyone happy. Be pleasant to work with and offer to help if you can. Don't be afraid to take one for the team every now and then. Everyone loves a person who they know they can count on in their moment of need and they will be more than happy to help you out when you need it too!
There are many ways that you could add a little power booster to your career. If you go to work and learn to enjoy the job as much as you can you will be sure to be recognized and rewarded! You don't have to wear more lipstick or date the boss to get a promotion...just work hard, be pleasant and enjoy your job and if you don't - maybe it is time to move on!
More great goal setting ideas!
- 10 New Year’s Resolutions for LETTING GO & MOVING ON
Life is too short to hold on to things that are hurtful and unproductive. Letting go and moving on may be exactly what you need to create a fulfilling, happy life. It is definitely my New Year's resolution for the coming year!
- Setting SMART Goals
- How to Achieve Goals the Fun Way!
Creative and fun ways to work toward achieving your goals. Learn different ways to track your progress and how to share a goal with others!
- How to Set Goals You Will Actually Achieve By Releasing The Blocks That Hold You Back