- HubPages Tutorials and Community
13 SEO Rules To Live By
A Complete Guide Of SEO For Lensmasters
As lens masters we write at Squidoo because we are passionate ! We write about what we know and love ! Best of all we get to share our love and passion with the internet universe. And the universe of internet is all about sharing good content, idea, and opinions with those we seek that knowledge. The side effect of that sharing are the sales that we make from the products and services that relate to the information that we share. The most important thing that we do as lens masters id to offer quality content. And doing the best that we can on the content side of our lenses means that we receive high Search Engine placement in the major listings of places like Google, Yahoo and Bing.
What Is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a web site in search engine results. It is the process of getting people or traffic from the listings of the search engines.
How Squidoo Stats Help You
Getting Started With SEO
Since SEO is basically a measure of popularity, the best place to start with your SEO project is to look at the stats page for each of your lenses. This is a huge tool that Squidoo provides to us.
The Summary The information on the summary page tells you your lens rank within Squidoo and how many visits that you had that month. As you work to improve your content and popularity. This report will help you see how successful your efforts are. Of course, some seasonal lenses will rise and fall with the season
The Traffic Page Love this page for all the information that it gives. You will see how many hits you got and which search engine sent them. You will also see what keywords were used to generate your traffic. You will also see how many of your links were clicked on. On the top of the page you will see how many likes you received and when you last updated your lens
You should be reviewing your stats as least monthly and more often on newer lenses
When your website has a high placement in the search engines, you will have more traffic and with more traffic, comes the opportunity for more profit. Our goal is to help you achieve that placement. Let's get going !
13 SEO Keyword Rules To Live By - SEO is an ongoing project for every Squidoo Lensmaster
You are never really finished with your SEO project amnd the wisest thing to do is to set aside time each week to work on your lenses. The more you work on them , the higher your ranking and the more opportunity for you to make that sale !Here are 13 rules that everywebmaster/lensmaster should live by. Apply them and I guarantee that you will get results.
- Place your keywords in your title tag. It should be 5-6 words that are the most imporant words to your title, Select them carefully and relate them back to your title.
- Keywords in Your Anchor Text-Anchor text is defines as the relevant descriptive text or information about the content of a link's destination.It may or may not be related to the actual URL. This is often misunderstood by webmasters. Too many of us use the term click here as our link rather than linking in the actual work or phrase that we are relating to. When we actually relate our links to the phrase or word that connects us to the other site, this is regarded like a vote to our keyords in our favor and is highly regarded by the search engines.
- Keywords In Headings-This counts a lot towards your ranking. This is your The best way to accomplish this is top break down your content into sections rather than going too long on one article. Squidoo modules make it very easy to accomplish this. Most of your readers and those who visit your website want small bites of information rather than long book sof it. The H size refers to the font setting in your titles
Please note : for lensmasters-using your section subtitles makes important use of this rule! Make it relevent to the title and the content of the section
- Place Keywords At The Beginning of Every Document The location of your keywords and your content does count. So make sure that before you place any ads or links, that your content relects the message that you are trying to get across first.
- Keyswords In Your Graphicsthe search engine programs(spiders)cannot read your images, but they do read the descrition of the images, so make sure that you realte your image descriptions to your keywords. Those descriptions are refrred to as tags
- B>Make sure that your inbound links have relationship to your keywords. If possible, make sure that the link has one or more of your keywords within the link.
- Add Higher Ranking Inbound Links Whenever PossibleThe higher ranked links will also help your ranking to increase providing, of course that they are related to your content and keywords.Adding .edu and .gov links are always helpful.Have the google toolbar in your browser is a quick way to determine other site ranks.
- Add links from similar sitesWhen you add links from similar sites that offer more information, you add value and reputation to your own site. It would seem against the grain to offer a link to competitive sites, but in essence the search engines see that as value to the people looking for the information.
- Good Metattags These were once considered more important tahn they are now, but the rule still says that your keywords should appear in your and your The tags should be relevant to both your content and your keywords.
- Always Aim For Unique Contant The topic may be the same, but you should always look for a new slant or prospective to your content. The serach engines are looking for contenbt that is accurate, rich in information and will help the internet population. Having unique cinbtent will boost your ranking right away
- Change Your Content Often The search engines will push your ranking with every chage that you make. naturally, you can't besilly about it. Your changes must be content rich and have relevant information. Squidoo is so sweet about reminding us when our lenses are going stale.
- Make Sure That Your Site Is Accessible This pertains more to websites and blogs, but can also pertain to your lens links as well.If there are broken links, pass protected pages, or 404 errors, the serach engines will get frustrated trying to go through your pages and your rank will lower or not be indexed at all.
- Create A Sitemap> Not really appropriate to lenses, but it sure makes a difference in websites and even blogs.The search engines love it and it does not matter if it is just an html sitemap or the special google sitemap.
SEO Made Easy
Here are some great videos to help you learn SEO the easy way
SEO For Beginners - How To Get Started With Your SEO Campaign
Like every other business venture you start, you have to set goals, both long and short term to make your business profitable. So if you are serious about creating quality lenses and making them rank well so that you get more traffic and more sales, then you have to start here. Understanding the process, will help you take the steps you need to be successful.
Search Engine Facts &Tips - Get Better Rank Using SearchEngines
Here are the facts that you need to consider as you either start your website or blog or manage one that you curently have. Taking all this into consideration will help you decide what your next step should be.These came from a 2010 study by comScore. The tips we have collected from the very best sources on SEO.
- Google Sites led the U.S. core search market in April with 64.4 percent of the searches conducted, followed by Yahoo! Sites (up 0.8 percentage points to 17.7 percent), and Microsoft Sites (up 0.1 percentage points to 11.8 percent).
- Americans conducted 15.5 billion searches in April, up slightly from March. Google Sites accounted for 10 billion searches, followed by Yahoo! Sites (2.8 billion), Microsoft Sites (1.8 billion), Ask Network (574 million) and AOL LLC (371 million).
- In the April analysis of the top properties where search activity is observed, Google Sites led the search market with 14.0 billion search queries, followed by Yahoo! Sites with 2.8 billion queries and Microsoft Sites with 1.9 billion. Amazon Sites experienced sizeable growth during the month with an 8-percent increase to 245 million searches, rounding off the top 10 ranking
- According to an AOL study, the first ten results received 89.71% of all click-through traffic, the next 10 results (normally listed on the second page of results) received 4.37%, the third page - 2.42%, and the fifth - 1.07%. All other pages of results received less than 1% of total search traffic clicks.
- Never submit your website or blog to a search engine that has been banned (grey barred )by Google.It is pointless and actually may harm you
- When you are sublitting to paid or free directories, check the revie period.Free directories often have month long waiting periods .To get the most value out of your initial submission, check the terms, and opt for those that promise shorter reviiew periods.
SEO Tool Of The Week - Get Your SEO groove on
If you are new to search engine optimization, or need to rethink the process, I found a free guide that will really help.There are 10 free chapters that will get you started to mazimizing your website ! As you inprove in rank, you will get more visitirs and links that you ever thought possible. If you are a squidoo lensmaster, these basics will help you too.You can also load it as a PDF. There is not one person who should not at least read through it.
- Beginners Guide To SEO
This guide is designed to describe all areas of SEO - from discovery of the terms and phrases that will generate traffic, to making a site search engine friendly, to building the links and marketing the unique value of the site/organization's offerin
Top SEO Tip
Be sure that the title of your lens relates to your content When you create your lens, the title is permanent, so be sure that your main keyword is reflected in your title
More SEO Tips
- Create Internal Links
The more relevant words point to a page, the more likely that page is to appear in search results when users run a query with those terms.
- Spiders can only search text, not text in your images -- which is why you need to make the words associated with your images as descriptive as possible.Start with your image names: adding an "ALT" tag allows you to include a keyword-rich description for every image on your site
- Make sure your site is easy to use. This can influence your link building ability and popularity and, thus, your ranking.
- Links (especially deep links) from a high PageRank site are golden. High PR indicates high trust, so the back links will carry more weight.
Free SEO Tools
Website Rules To Improve Your Ranking - How to keep your webvisitors coming back
There are some rules that will improve your rankings in the major search engines. Follow them and your webisite will rise to the top of the heap
- The Width of your webpage should never exceed the width of a computer screen No one wants to scroll around. It takes too much time.
- Font size-Use larger font sizesSome visitors may have poor eyesight. Some people can't stand reading tiny print
- The text color should contrast with the background colorMake your information easy to read
- Never use white font on a dark background. It looks grest, but when someone wants to print out your page to refer to or show someone,it won't print. When printed, the background will not print and you will have white text on white paper.
- The images that you use should be relevent to the text They should visually help convey the message of your text
- Limit your image size No onw wants to wait for your images to load. They will cause the page to display showly and your visitors will leave. Be careful in the application or display of viseos, audio and flash annimations
- Be sure you have a unique, keyword focused Title tag on every page of your site
- Give each page a focus on a single keyword phrase. Don’t try to optimize the page for several keywords at once.
Learn More On Search Engine Optimization
- Art Of keyword Selection
However, there are many considerations that go into picking a good keyword set. It's not as simple as picking the highest volume keywords and building a page for each one. Here are some key things to consider:
- 10 Bad SEO Ideas
All The mistaked you should not make in SEO
- !0 Sure Fire SEO Tips For Direct Sellers
Garanteed to increase your profit line, check out these tips
- Complete Serach Engine Guide
A must read tool to understand why SEO is important
Top SEO Tip
Fresh content can help improve your rankings. Add new, useful content to your pages on a regular basis. Content freshness adds relevancy to your site in the eyes of the search engines.
Popular Search Engine Rules - What They Have To Say
It's hard to know what the major seacrch engines are thinking, much less what thier rules are. Here are a few basics for you to consider as you are working on your projects.
- Yahoo What does Yahoo think about? Well according to what we have found:
-The number of other sites linking to it
-The content of the pages
-The updates made to indicies
-The testing of new product versions
-The discovery of additional sites
-Changes to the search algorithm - and other factors
- Bing The relatively newer, but very popular search engine
-In the visible page text, include words users might choose as search query terms to find the information on your site.
-Limit all pages to a reasonable size. We recommend one topic per page. An HTML page with no pictures should be under 150 kb.
-Make sure that each page is accessible by at least one static text link.
-Don't put the text that you want indexed inside images. For example, if you want your company name or address to be indexed, make sure it is not displayed inside a company logo.
- GoogleThe king of the search engines
-Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines. Don't deceive your users or present different content to search engines than you -display to users, which is commonly referred to as cloaking.
-Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
-Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content. Make sure that yourelements and ALT attributes are descriptive and accurate.
-Keep the links on a given page to a reasonable number (fewer than 100).
Squidoo SEO Tools - Your Lens Ranking Made Easy
There are a few Squidoo tools that you should be utilizing to rank each of your lenses higher. Remember, the more traffic to your lens, the more money that you stand to make from your efforts
- The Health ToolLocated at the top of your lens dashboard, this tool is invaluable to each lens that you create. It is listed at the top and says "Health" It is the one thing that every lensmaster must use if their lens is to be taken seriously.Each section of your lens that effects it's ranking is broken down. You don't have to know a thing about search engine optimization to get where you want to be. Squidoo has it down to a science.All you have to do is to use the sections till you see the green checkmark. In essence it is checking all if the things that the search engines look for. If you have not applied this tool to your lenses, now is the time to get started.
- Your StatsYou should be checking your stats at least weekly. Your stats will tell you where your hits are coming form and what keywords drove then to your lens. If your keywords are not working or if you are not getting enough hits, then it is time to make adjustments
- Your Daily DigestTells you all the pertent facts you need to know about your lenses. You need to look at what is getting traffic and what is not. It will tell you which lens needs work and which lens needs updating. A great tool !
- The LensrollWhen you add lenses to other lenses that have similar types of content, you are adding a valuable link to your site
- Featured Lenses When you need to break content into several lenses that are related, why not link them together through the featured lens module. This is an a link that will definately increase your rank and get you alot more traffic.
SEO Bottom Line
The bottom line in SEO is Text, Links, Popularity and Reputation.
If You Are A Serious Lensamaster - These Are The Tools You Need
Taking it to the next step, is really not that difficult. It is putting into action what you have learned. Devoting time and energy to your goals is important. Here are the tools that can really make a difference
SEO Top Tip
If your site content doesn’t change often, your site needs a blog because search spiders like fresh text. Blog at least three time a week with good, fresh content to feed those little crawlers
SEO Top Tip
Use captions with your images. As with newspaper photos, place keyword rich captions with your images.Use the words “image” or “picture” in your photo ALT descriptions and captions. A lot of searches are for a keyword plus one of those words.
We always want to hear your thoughts, ideas and tips. So please let us know how you feel, And hey, if you like our work, why not ward us a star or two.