- HubPages Tutorials and Community
A Wonderful Milestone for Me! 100 Hubs down, so sharing some TIPS | How Much Money Can You Earn From Hubpages?
So, I'm sharing some Tips for New Hubbers
Wow, what a year that was! 100 hubs and I'm still here .... heeew lol. OK, maybe I don't write as fast as many other members here, but this has been a good year for me and man have I learned a lot about Hubpages, Online writing, and just about every topic imaginable! All thanks to the wonderful writers here.
Although my profile actually says that I have been here far longer than a year, I wasn't active for the first 6-8 months. I originally joined Hubpages, but then got caught up with hunting for a new job and moving to South Korea to teach English (a great experience in itself). This then left me completely sidetracked, until one day I was sitting alone in the teachers office with naught to do and I suddenly remembered that article I published on Hubpages.
To my surprise, when I signed in, I discovered that it had actually been drawing readers! I could barely believe my eyes, as at the start I struggled to find anyone to come and read my article. Over the moon about this result, I felt new inspiration and of course made good use of my free office time, getting straight into writing more articles.
Soon I leaned that Hubapages is not just an article platform, but actually a 'cool place' where an amazingly supportive and fun community hangs out. These people (that's you guys, my AWESOME followers and others here) helped me and encouraged me to write more, and so with a lot of learning, this is where I am today ... turning 100 at last (how often do you say that in a lifetime, I'm guessing it won't be twice for me lol).
So, what have I learned that could be useful for new hubbers? As I remember clearly the early days of struggling, I wanted my 100th hub to be helpful to new readers. Now, let me see if I can come up with a few of the things that really helped me to get settled in, make friends and actually start drawing that lovely search engine traffic.
Hence, here are my Top TIPS for New (and not so new) Hubbers:
- It is possible to get noticed! It may take time, but Hubpages will help you to get traffic, followers and support you all the way. Just check out the apprentice program if you really want some serious training, or read others' Hubs for many insights, tricks and tips.
- If you haven't done so already, submit your new URL to search engines (I have a hub on my profile that can help). There are many search engines, but it is important to at least make sure you get indexed by Google and Bing (Yahoo+MSN combined). However, please ensure you have some good content first ;-).
- Don't write only to make money. Although it is possible to make a lot of money here, and many have been referred for this reason, I feel that it is particularly important for new writers to write about what inspires them. The reason for this is that passion shows through in your writing, it is often more interesting and will read better. Just writing for money can often be obvious, almost like cheesy advertisements that scream "I am here only for the cash". This will make it harder for you to get a following. Obviously, once established, you can also venture into more profitable fields of writing, but please continue to write about what you love!
- SHARING is all about team work (yea I know, but it had to be mentioned lol) and being a part of the community works for EVERYONE. This means that by sharing the work of other and leaving comments, you can help others while helping yourself. By doing this, you can get more readers, followers, comments and search engine traffic to your hubs. However, let me please emphasize ... DO NOT SPAM, please make your comments interesting, preferable a few lines, and relevant to each hub that you read. That said, by sharing you are also providing a service to other hubbers, helping them to get readers, while also increasing their hub content via your comments ... yes, this is considered content by search engines and they love it! Sharing with social media also has a huge effect, as I have seen hubbers that have received 100's of views a day for a single share. Combine social media with everyone sharing and we have a powerful tool! Social media and marketing are interlinked with big businesses, so why not on Hubpages?
- Do not follow to get followers! This is a classic new hubber mistake (yes, I did it too originally). You are desperate to gain a following, so you run around Hubpages following people like a little maniac. This doesn't work well in the long run, as not only does it damage your ratings, but hubbers that have been here a while aren't always checking who is following, rather they are concentrating on comments. Instead, try to find people that you are actually interested in! Leave them an insightful comment (or two, or three), then follow them. This can be with or without fan-mail ... it isn't a requirement, but it is nice to receive. Hopefully they will see that you are interested in them and follow you back, if they find you interesting. However, if they do not, do not immediately unfollow them ... after all, they are writing about things you like right? Why would you unfollow? Instead, continue to enjoy the writing and leave comments and I am quite sure as you build friendships, your followers will grow too!
- Writing online is very different to writing in the real world. Hence, consider putting at least two spaces between paragraphs, consider the length of your paragraphs and also use pictures and videos to make hubs interesting. You need to learn a little about keywords, avoid obvious selling and make your articles informative. Using graphics to separate and decorate can work very well, but is something I confess to not having used ... yet.
- Keywords! These are a must for any serious Hubber and are simply the phrases which people use to search for what they want. While it is possible to gain search engine traffic without them, they are a big help to search engines when they are trying to determine what your article is about and also which adverts should be displayed next to your hubs. This then leads to targeted traffic, as people are looking for what the click. For this, the Google keword tool is great! It is a keyword suggestions tool, one of many keyword research tools available, but one of the better ones. Obviously you need to find your own interests, as this shows in your writing, but using popular keywords with low competition can bring massive organic traffic. Believe me, when an article hits first place on a popular traffic keyword, the traffic you receive is MIND BLOWING.
- Summary. Basically write one and include one or two of your keywords! This is something that is often overlooked by new hubbers. The summary is in the small box on the right, the second one down and is also where you enter your tags.
- Participate!! Whether you are into sharing, or not, make sure that you get involved. Get into the questions, answers, hub-hopping, forums and whatever else you enjoy here. You will not only get yourself seen, but you will also have more fun, learn a lot and help others in the process.
- Use referral trackers in your links, especially external social media that you use. These clever little tweaks to the URLs that you share can earn you a lot of extra views! Even when sharing other people's hubs. By using your referral tracker in your social media, you will get a share of impressions (visits) and also a percentage of the traffic from new hubbers that signed up through your tracker!! It doesn't cost them anything, but it surely helps you. Since the change to your NEW URL in September 2011, did you remember to update your trackers on other sites? I didn't until last week! For a guide to URL trackers, this hub by Jimmythejock is useful "How to make good use of URL trackers"
- Backlink. By this, I do not mean spam the web. Instead, leave insightful comments on other hubs and blogs, that also link to your. For those that are not familiar with backlinks, they are simply links on other pages/sites (like social media) that point to your pages/site. On Hubpages, you should not promote yourself in the comments, but instead the link is automatically provided to your profile ... along with your stunning picture of course. However, there are also many social media sites, bookmarking sites and article sites that you can link to your hubs from as well. Just be sure to read their rules, as if you play the game properly, everyone can win from this. Myself and many other hubbers have articles on this, so please look into creating a social media marketing strategy for yourself and your fellow hubbers (yes, post their hub to Dig, Redgage, Pin-it or others and they get a link).
- Try to stay positive. Although some days you may not feel great, complaining, moaning and giving others negative feedback isn't going to help you online. If you must moan (which we all do at times), then try to put a comical or lighthearted spin on it. In comments, if you can see blatant errors or problems, tell the author by all means, but try to be demeaning and also share the parts that are well written, were interesting, or outright awesome! A bit of sugar is said to help the medicine go down and this is also very true with constructive feedback!
- Submit your sitemap to Google! This is an awesome idea and detailed instructions from the writer WhydThatHappen. As it allows you to tell Google to go and check out your site, especially when you have new content and you can see how many pages are already indexed. For new Hubbers, it also allows them to get indexed (included in Google results) much faster. I found that all my articles were indexed (Wooohaaa lol), but the extra information that you get is really interesting! (such as time on site, traffic etc) Check out this hub for full instructions: SEO-Submit Your Sitemap
Now, all those wondering what the hundred dollar note is about, well that is kind of a nice surprise I got a while back on here. As many Hubbers will tell you, it takes time to get noticed and this is even more so with search engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN. However, despite knowing this, in those initial stages, almost every hubber starts to wonder if they will get a cheque (check for the Americans here). I was getting close to this stage, but wasn't quite there ... frustratingly just about $10 away. Then, all of a sudden, Google fell in love with one of my articles. Hand on heart, I can honestly say that my first cheque from Hubpages was over $100! Man I was chuffed to bits with that!! and to say it gave me another boost of inspiration (plus a real nice weekend) is an understatement.
Apart from the writing experience and bonus of the extra income, I have learned an awful lot through being active here. It honestly doesn't seem to matter what you need to know/research, Hubpages now has something for you and it will be an article that is detailed, well written and informative at that. I have learned all sorts here, from cooking and DIY, to SEO and buying websites. There really is something for all interests and the site itself has helped expand my interests. Before joining here, I knew little about the online world, but now have my own websites and am continue to learn more about creating online content, SEO and marketing.
It has been a great journey, where I feel that I have also made some wonderful friends! We may not have met in person, but there are many people here that I feel I know and that I really enjoy 'conversations' with on a regular basis. That is not to mention the friendly banta ;-) in comments, and the amazing advice and support I have had the pleasure to receive this last year.
Thank you all for your efforts and support over the last year and I hope that all of us will continue to support each other into the future!
Thanks for reading!
P.S. If you have any further suggestions that you think would be helpful, please let me know in the comments.
P.P.S If you noticed that I now have less than 100 published hubs, this is because I learned that it is better to have topic focused accounts, rather than all articles under one account (too general and doesn't get as much traffic).
If you would like to join us on Hubpages, learn lots of new things, and also make some money whilst writing about what you like, click here to sign up today … who knows, it may turn into your main income and passion!
Were the tips helpful?
As a new or experienced hubber, did these tips help?
- Hubpages Scam! Or, is it Actually Legit? Read the Hub Pages Review
An honest review of Hubpages.com and concerns about it being a scam website. Many are asking "Is Hubpages a scam?", so I thought an honest review of this site was in order!