The Benefits of Writing for Hubpages
Benefits of Writing for Hubpages
I'm celebrating 5 years as a writer for Hub Pages. As I reflect on my time here my thoughts turn to the personal growth that has come to me.
When I first began writing here I had no idea how much my life would change. Little did I know that the journey I was about to take would lead me on a path to self discovery. I believe that every writer can learn more about himself through writing than any other medium.
One of the most helpful benefits of writing for hub pages was learning to overcome the fear of being wrong. As a seasoned writer I have learned to build a thick skin. I know that no matter what we write about, if it comes from a foundation of truth there is nothing to fear. Writing is a noble thing to do.
You, the writer have an endless reservoir of words to serve you. These words are sacred and deserve respect.
Although writing is it's own reward, there are benefits and other advantages available that make writing a worthwhile experience.
It might be a good thing to take a minute or two and reflect on some of these benefits. Richard Branson has said that his most essential possession is his standard-size school notebook which he uses for regular writing.
10+ Reasons I Love Being a Writer For Hubpages
Self Discipline As I work hard to create each hub, I find myself growing on a higher level of self-discipline. This happens to most of us as we work continuously at becoming a better writer. I've learned to step outside of my comfort zone and write about areas and interests that I believe in and the importance of providing information to others.
- Therapy ~ Writing is therapeutic. For me, it has been a wonderful outlet. My mind is focused on the present instead of the past. Also, I have come to know myself on a more truthful level through writing. I call it "A journey of self- discovery."
- Friends ~ I have been fortunate to find these "crown jewels" right here on hubpages. Yes, each friend is a jewel - supportive, caring, kind and loyal. I treasure my hub family.
- Support - I have never felt that I was alone and in-the-dark regarding rules and how-to's. With an array of people ready to help as well as The Help Center which is always available, I have managed to find answers to my questions and comfort my frustrations..
- Income - Yes, it's possible to earn a monthly income as a writer for Hubpages. It takes dedication, knowledge, some talent and spending a few hours each day honing your skills and participating in activities. But - it will happen.
- Setting your own hours. I can write at 3:00 am or 3:00 pm and have done both.
- Flexibility - You can write your hubs at home, at a park, the beach or coffee house.
- Showing up for work in your pj's. Do I need to say more?
- Personal Freedom - I report to no one but myself.
- Opens lines of communication - This is accomplished with people I never see and will never meet face to face.
And my favorite benefit - Writing allows me to leave behind a body of work for other individuals to learn from long after I'm no longer here on this earth.
Writing Makes You Happier
More than once I've sat down at my desk to write when I'm feeling down in the dumps. By the time I'm well into my article my mood changes from sad to happiness. This is especially true with expressive articles. Expressive writing is known to improve mood and reduce stress.
Writing regularly also keeps you sharper as you age. And for me, writing leads to learning. The research for the subject at hand \and using the thesaurus constantly improves my mind and opens new interests which I happily explore.
My Favorite Things To Do On Hubpages
There is so much available to do here, besides writing hubs. One of my favorite past times is to read profiles. I feel a more personal connection with my fellow writers as I learn more about them. I particularly like profiles which give some personal history.
Hopping hubs not only helps hubpages, it's a fun thing for me to do. And I apply the reasons for rating to my own writing as well. By evaluating the entire hub, it soon becomes clear to me which articles are well researched and which are thrown quickly together. I vow never to be found in the latter category.
I also enjoy participating in forums. It's a good way to find answers to questions you may have.
Welcoming newbies. While I try to keep up on who is new, this is something I want to do more regularly. Lending my support with a quick " Hi, I'm glad to find you here on Hupages" just takes a minute of my time and may make a difference to a brand new writer. I still remember how this helped me when I first joined up 4 years ago. I think new members appreciate hearing from seasoned writers offering advice and support.
Why Do You Write For Hubpages?
Please select from the following:
Ready for More Opprtunities
With each new day, comes a new opportunity to grow beyond what I thought possible. I celebrate this new opportunity with passion and with a grateful heart. There is always a writing challenge going on inside of me.
I discover that I have a need to say something, to explore an idea or share my own knowledge about my chosen field. Perhaps I am motivated to write because I just read a hub by another writer. Every writer should read everyday, whether it be a poem, an article or a short story.
Do I still have the same desire, dedication and determination to succeed on hubpages that I had in the beginning? I have carefully evaluated all the time, sacrifice and even some of my own frustrations. I can joyously say, yes. In fact, I have an even greater desire and a heightened dedication to succeed on hubpages.
"Write your first draft with your heart. Rewrite with your head" - Mike Rich
You, as a writer, may not be celebrating your finished work or even a part of it. Perhaps you will begin to honor both your writing and yourself with a simple celebration. It is well deserved.
I will continue Celebrating Life on Hubpages as I continue on my journey of discovery. To write is to make my heart sing.