ISAW!Favorite Street Food in the Philippines...
Have you tried eating chicken intestine?. In the Philippines, chicken intestine is favorite food by many. We call it ISAW. A street food from the Philippines, made from barbecued chicken intestines.
Ofcourse this isaw is being cleaned, turned inside out, and cleanes several times to eliminate watse and odor before being boiled and grilled on sticks.
Isaw is very popular in the Philippines. It is affordable, you can buy it for only 3.00 PhP.
It is grilled over charcoal and usually marinated with a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper, catsup and cooking oil.
You may not appreaciate its appearance simply just by looking at it. But try to taste it, i guarantee, you might ask for more. it's really delicious and tasty. Infact it is one of the favorites "pulutan" of alcohol drinkers. It's best with beer.
Way back in college, my classmates and I would usually go at the "isawan" (Isaw stall) in front of our university and enjoyed eating isaw. It is best eaten when being soaked with spicy vinegar while still hot. It is student pocket friendly because it's very affordable.
Just in case you want to try preparing it youself and want to share it with your friends heres how to do it:
>1/2 cup vinegar
>2 tbsp whole pepper corn
>2 tbsp salt
>4 to 6 pieces dried bay leaves
>4 cups of water
How to cook:
1. Pour the water in a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
2. Put-in the salt, whole pepper corn, and dried bay leaves
3. Add the large intestines then simmer for a few minutes
4. Add vinegar then simmer until the intestines are tender (about 30 minutes). Set aside until the temperature goes down.
5. Cut the intestines crosswise (about 1 inch in length)
6. Skewer the intestine (about 3 to 4 pieces per skewer)
7. Grill the intestine while basting with the mixture of cooking oil, banana catsup, and soy sauce
8. Serve with vinegar and chili.