Google Adsense vs HP Ads Program
Which Ad Program to Choose?
One big question among many hubbers is whether to choose the Hubpages Ad Program or Google Adsense for their advertising income on Hubpages.
Basically you can turn on either the Hubpages Ad program or the Google Adsense ad program. However, wheichever one you choose you will need to have a Google Adsense Publisher ID. Also, even if you turn on the HP Ad program you will still have a small number of Google Adsense ads running, so there is still a chance of some income from those.
In order to decide which Ad Program to run you may want to compare the two programs. However, it is quite difficult to get accurate figures doing this as income may vary from one month to the other so you may not be comparing like with like. For example if you compared December on Adsense against January on HP Ads then there would likely be a difference anyway just because of the Christmas Ad budgets.
Which Ad Program to Choose?...
Factors in Choosing Between Ad Programs
There are a few things that you may wish to take into account when you try and decide which Ad Program to run:
- How many daily views do you get? If you are only getting a small number of daily views then it might be better to opt for the HP Ad program as the chances of getting a click on one of your ads each day may be low, whereas the HP Ad program will pay based on the number of views, so you will always be earning income on your hubs.
- Which topics do you cover? If you check out your topics and keywords with the Google Keyword Tool then you should be able to see if your topics have a high cost associated with them. If they do, then you may get clicks on adsense that are worth more than the average click and so that may be worth opting for adsense on.
- Do you mind how (and in which currency) you get paid? This may only affect some users but with HP Ads you are paid through PayPal whereas the a lot of adsense users can get paid the money directly into their bank account which might mean that less money is lost in bank/paypal charges.
- Does the frequency of payment matter to you? Hubpages will pay you when your income reaches $50 whereas Adsense has a higher threshold so you may have to wait longer for your money.
- And then there is obviously the fact that you need to work out whether you will earn more with HP Ads than Adsense or vice versa.
Comparing HP Ads and Google Adsense
So, let's say that one month you turn on HP Ads and the next month you turn on Google Adsense (or vice versa). To see really detailed information you will need to have your adsense and your Google analytics account linked and you can do this from the home page of your adsense account. You can only link to one analytics account (i.e. one domain) so if you already have another one linked you won't be able to link to Hubpages.
Once you have Adsense and Analytics linked then you will be able to see some detailed data about how much you are earning from adsense in your Hubpages account, and in particular which hubs are giving you the best income and what the CPM is for all of your hubs.
If you have not set up the link between adsense and analytics then you can check out your earnings on your adsense account. In order to see the Hubpages data you will need to have www.hubpages.com set up as a URL channel. Go to URL Channels and then choose Hubpages and select the relevant dates. You really need to compare data from at least a month to get a good sample.
Interestingly enough I am getting different data showing on my analytics account to that on my adsense account - the adsense data shows approximately 30% more impressions than analytics and so the CPM is much lower on the adsense account.
Anyway, if you take the lowest CPM that is showing on either your adsense or analytics data then you can compare this to your HubPages CPM by going to your earnings page and selecting a months worth of earnings (try to compare to a similar month) - you will find the average CPM for the month at the bottom of the list, shown as 'total' under the CPM for each day.
I have two accounts on HubPages and one of them I have adsense turned on (this one) and the other one I have Hubpages Ads and i feel in this way I can cover my bases. However, that is not to say that I don't keep an eye on both of them and change them when required. From doing this hub I analysed the adsense earnings on this account and I don't believe that it is performing as well as maybe Hubpages Ads would, so I am going to change it back to HP Ads at the beginning of April.
The other account is one with a smaller number of hubs - in fact about 10% of the hubs I have here. I started that account off on HP Ads (and it is still on those) as the number of page views was quite low but recently the views have been going up significantly on that and are now 50-70% of the views on this account! So I will need to reassess that one in the coming months but will leave it at least for a few months so that I can get payment on that account.
One particular thing I have found with adsense is that my earnings increase at the end of the month - sometimes significantly. I guess this is because when advertisers have a budget for the month (as you do when you advertise with Google) if they have not used up that budget nearing the end of the month then they can bid higher on their respective keywords to do so. In which case I would say do not switch from adsense before the end of the month, instead if you are switching, switch from adsense right at the beginning of the month.