- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Making Money on HubPages
How to Make Money Writing with HubPages
Imagine making money from writing about things that interest you. Having a financially beneficial way to make the most of your free time while sharing your passions with others doesn't sound to bad, does it?
Well my friends, I have good news. You can do exactly that. You can make money writing about whatever you want by signing up to write for HubPages.
Yes, making money from writing hubs online could be the greatest thing that you have stumbled upon up to date. Of course, it takes a lot of time and work to start making money from your writing, but it is certainly possible. The greatest thing about writing on HubPages is that you receive pay based on the number of article views. Therefore, although you may not make a lot of money right after publishing your article, you can continue to make money from it for the rest of your life! Every time someone views your article you make a bit of money.
Here I will share with you how to make money on HubPages, how to write content that will attract readers, and what you need to do to market your articles to gain a large number of followers and page views.
How Much Money Can You Make with HubPages?
There are five ways that you can make money with HubPages. I will go over how each one of them works and how much you can expect to make. I seem to be making about 1 cent for every 3 page views that I receive. In other words, for every 300 views I end up with $1.
HubPages Ad Program: This is where I make about 1 cent for every 3 views. This seems to be the most consistent way to make money. I simply get my article read by a lot of people and I make a bit of money. Furthermore, as your profile gains more traction and your articles are read on a regular basis, HubPages will begin paying you for every article that you publish (on top of the revenue-sharing) - up to $8 each.
Google Adsense: Although I get paid a lot more when someone clicks on a Google advertisement (sometimes up to $4.00 for one click), I do not make nearly as much from this service because people actually have to click on the advertisement. If you focus on writing about topics or issues that would associate well with the ads that are being placed on the page, then you will have potential to make a significant amount of money. However, this is rather difficult to plan and predict. Therefore, I don’t place Adsense into my planned financial gains and am simply excited when I discover that I have made a few extra dollars from people clicking the ads on my pages.
Amazon And Ebay Sales: This is one that takes even more specified articles. If you are writing an article about how to have a great relationship, you probably won’t make a lot of money from having Amazon ads on your article. However, if you are doing a book review or discussing some other item, you might be able to make a bit of money from Amazon or Ebay. Again, I would not bank on this as the amount earned is very minimal.
YouTube Videos: Last I read, you need to have a video with over 40,000 views before you can start making money with YouTube videos. However, if you get into the program, by writing quality articles on HubPages and embedding your YouTube videos into them, you could essentially start making twice the amount of money you would make if you only wrote articles or created videos.
What Makes Something Worth Your Time to Read?
How to Write What People Want to Read
An important thing to ponder before you start writing is your reason for writing. Are you writing for fun, for money, or a combination of the both?
If you are writing purely for your own enjoyment, then you can write about whatever comes to mind and don't have to worry about the content as much as if you are writing for money. If you are writing to make money, then it is important to write quality articles that will keep people coming back to read more.
There are several things to keep in mind if you want to write articles that people will WANT to read:
- Write about worthwhile content: Incorporate lessons that everyone can learn into your writing. Although some people read articles just for the fun of it, most people want to gain something from it - even if it is just a laugh. Even if you are writing about your own personal experiences, try to find some way to make it entertaining or educational to those who will be reading it.
- Check your grammar and spelling: If it doesn't make sense or is hard to follow, people aren't going to be interested in reading it. Don't harm yourself by writing poor quality articles.
- Be consistent with the topics you cover: It is beneficial to write about related topics in order to gain a committed gathering of followers who are interested in what you talk about. If you give a new recipe every day, people will want to keep coming back. However, if you provide a recipe one day, and a mechanic tip the next, that will limit your number of committed readers. However, if you write multiple articles on cooking and on auto-mechanics then essentially you will gain two different types of readers. Ultimately, if you write frequently, your writing will begin falling into specific topics.
Once you've started writing a few articles and believe that you have content people will be interested in reading, it is time to get people to read it. There are a variety of things you can do to promote your articles and gain a steady stream of views.
- Interact on HubPages: People will read your articles if you post consistently, follow them, and comment on their questions, hubs, and forums. If you read other people's content, they will respect you by reading yours. You can learn more about my first experiences with gaining a lot of followers and money, but getting into a bit of trouble, by reading My Hubscore is 1.
- Share on your social networks: Facebook, Twitter and Google+ are all places where people go to find out where their friends are doing and what people are looking for now. If you have an entertaining article title and post it onto your social networks, not only will people read it, but they may even share it with their friends - causing a viral effect where many people visit your article.
- Post it around the internet: There are a plethora of forums and websites discussing nearly every topic imaginable. If you find some of them and post links to your articles there, you may continue to gain viewers from those sites.
- Get a search ranking on Google: If your article ends up being at or near the top of a Google search, then you are golden! People will continue to read it as they search for the stated topic daily. This is a great way to get steady and consistent readership. In fact, if you Google search "A Flawless Way to Meet Women" this article that I wrote comes up at the top of the list. Of course, that specific search isn't used a lot, but it does help me continually gain readers.
- Link to your articles in other articles: If people enjoy your reading, they will want to read more. Therefore, incorporate your articles together and easily link one to the other. If people like the topic and want to learn more, they will keep viewing your other related articles.
What does not look professional, however, is to link to your own articles like this:
It is much better to incorporate them into the content of your text as I have done above.
How Would You Rate HubPages as a Money Making Opportunity?
Having Fun and Making Money
I've realized for me to make $1000/month, I would need to receive about 10,000 article views per day (how things are currently going). That seems like a lot and I am not sure if that will happen any time soon. However, writing is something that can be a lot of fun and even if I don't end up rich from all this writing, I will certainly enjoy myself.
Currently, I am receiving between 300-500 article views a day and I am making about $100/month (about half of which is from the Apprenticeship Program). However, if I were to stop writing right now, I would still make about $40-$50 a month off of my 85 articles written to date.
If writing is something you love, and you can make a little bit of money doing it, I think that writing articles on HubPages is definitely something you should consider doing.