The Benefits of Updating Articles And Key Points to Consider
Revising Older Articles
Changing With the Times By Updating Hubs
Revising older articles is an important step to the success and life of the hub. Bringing content up-to-date will help to increase your traffic.
Every article that we create will need to be updated at some point. Take recipe hubs for example. All recipes that were created before the recipe capsule was introduced should be updated. Amazon capsules also now have a new rule. Have you made those changes?
As changes occur within the Hub Page tool (create a new hub), some editing may be necessary on certain pieces that have been published. Blogging tools also change. Be aware of this and bring the content up-to-date.
I recently found myself making changes on a hub I wrote about using tags. Hub Pages no longer use these anymore. So a good part of the information I included in that hub is now obsolete.
Revising older content and adding your own photos will breathe new life into your existing article. You may also see an increase in your traffic and who doesn't appreciate that?.
5 Tips For Editing Your Articles
Here are 6 Tips to help you begin revising aging hubs:
- You've come a long way baby. You've learned some important points about writing along with helpful Hub Page rules for creating successful content. You are constantly evolving as a writer. So now is the time to update your earlier writings to reflect this self-growth.
- Changing the titles so that they are more Search Engine friendly will pay off immediately. Search Engines like regularly updated posts and you might see your traffic rising.
- Change the presentation and make sure it's interesting and easy to read with no misspelled words.
- Breathe new life into older articles by refreshing the content. This is one of the most important changes you can make. Update facts as needed.
- Revise errors and inaccuracies. Add new information and delete anything that is no longer applicable.
- Concentrate on one article at a time. Trying to revise too many at the same time will only cause confusion.
- Make sure your photos are original whenever possible. When using other photos stick to Creative Common photos and those within the public domain. Remember to give credit to the photographer.
Writing Tip: Allow Your Uniqueness to Shine Through
Share Your Passion With Your Reader
Now that you have decided to update your older pieces and refresh your newer ones I'd like to share some thoughts and ideas on how to go about this.
- The first and most important step is to really get excited about the outcome of what you are about to write. And write about a subject you know. The more research you do the more ideas you will come up with.
- Being a passionate writer can be felt by the reader. So find your passion and then write about it. Don't hold back. Write with confidence.
- An upbeat attitude will contribute significantly to the changes you make. And keep your content unique. Make it different by revealing your own personality.
Your content has already been written and formed into paragraphs. That's the hardest part. Now all you have to do is make a few changes to the content, add relative photos, check all links and keywords and republish your masterpiece. Be sure to proofread for misspelled words.
Six Ways to Breathe New Life Into Aging Hubs
Regardless of how hard you work on your material, there are always areas that can be improved.
One important key to driving more traffic to your article is to keep the content fresh. Update and revise every single piece often.
Here are six tips that will help you to give new life to tired aging content:
- Check your spelling. Nothing says unprofessional like a misspelled word. Back up your credibility with proper spelling and grammar.
- Structure. A good presentation will keep your readers interested especially in long posts. You don't want people struggling to read through your hub. You risk losing them. Keep each paragraph packed with interest and even a surprise now and then. Avoid being too predictable as you write.
- Add value by using your own thoughts. This can encourage your readers to comment because they like sharing their thoughts too and will be more inclined to do so.
- Have a goal in mind as you are writing. Avoid going on and on aimlessly without a driven purpose. And remember that vocabulary does matter. But keep it simple and straight forward. The reader doesn't want to take the time to look up the meaning of the words.
- Link it up. Whether the link is external or internal, use relevant and helpful links. And make it a point to check all links on your hubs to make sure they are working. Check out the new rule for linking.
- The title is perhaps the most crucial part of your hub. Think about the following 7 pointers below as you re-write your title.
The Role of the Title
- You want the title to capture the reader's attention.
- The title is the first impression of your content
- Does your title tell the reader what he will learn?
- Be concise and to the point. Search engines only show the first few words of your title so avoid using too many words. Try to keep the title under 65 characters.
- Use appropriate keywords. Visit googles keyword tool to find the best keywords.
- You are the authority on the topic you are writing. Be confident in writing your title.
- Create a title that is inviting and intriguing.
Your title acts as a description of your content in RSS and search results. A headline that is descriptive and informative has more chances of being read than those that are vague and confusing.
Sharing Your Articles With Social Media
Sharing your hubs with other social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+ will help increase your traffic. Yes, it's time-consuming but well worth it.
Do you know that Twitter now has over 465 million accounts and Facebook over 850 million? Google+ has almost 100 million accounts. Share your best work. And keep revising those that need it so you can share those too.
Always make a positive and memorable impression when you share. Be professional and helpful as this is how your followers will grow and you'll continue to drive more traffic back to your hubs. Create an eye-catching opening line. Plant a desire within the reader to "read on." Many articles are skipped over after the introduction, so keep your readers attention with good writing and rich useful content.
Ask yourself what would be interesting and motivating enough to continue reading through the entire article.
8 Key Points To Consider When Writing An Article
Put yourself in your reader's shoes. Consider the 8 following points:
- Why would anyone want to read my article?
- Is it useful and helpful? That's the question I ask myself when I begin writing new content.
- I try to put myself in the place of the reader. If you want to keep your readers from straying, you absolutely must keep your content interesting and well written.
- You might ask yourself this question as you are creating or editing. "Is my hub scannable to the reader?"
- Most people read by scanning the page for specific words and other clues such as lists, images, headings, and even space.
- Another thing to think about as you are reviewing and re-writing the content is the length.
Readers have a short attention span, so if your hub is too long, consider breaking it up into more than one hub. Write 2 or even 3 different pieces, elaborating on each one.
- Keep each paragraph short. That makes it easier to read and helps keep the interest of the reader.
On the other hand, an article which contains 1,000 or more words, presented well with photos and other interesting capsules will do well.
- Adding appropriate images will make your hub more appealing. The reader's eye will go directly to the image first. From that point, the reader looks at the text.
Images also give the eyes a place to rest. And don't forget to add charts, maps, and diagrams to help clarify key points.
Summing It Up
Let's briefly review the points for updating older articles:
- Look at your present title. If it's weak create a strong, short title and slip in a keyword or two.
- Rewrite your opening line if needed. Give your readers a reason for spending time at your hub.
- Rewrite and update content to keep it interesting and to keep your readers attention.
- Check all grammar and spelling.
- All links should be relevant and working.
- Update images. Use your own if possible.
- Hows the format? Keep it interesting and professional.
- Make sure to use the google keyword tool - but be careful of "stuffing" keywords as you could be penalized for spamming.
- Use "share" when your hub is completed. Don't just hit publish thinking that people will be flocking to read your updated masterpiece.
I'd like to add how beneficial it is to take some time and pay a visit to The Learning Center. Each time I go there I take away something new and helpful.
Thank you for being here. I invite you to share some of your thoughts on editing and updating your hubs in the comment section below.
More Information on Improving Your Hubs
- Keeping Your Hubpage Followers
Hubpage followers can become an important asset to you. It just might be time to re-establish connections with your followers and remember why you needed them in the first place. Find out how to make sure you keep them.
- Commenting on Hubs - Some Handy Suggestions
Comments on hubs are a powerful source of feedback for the writer. Here are a few suggestions on how to improve the way you leave comments.
Do You Update Hubs?
How often do you update your aging content?
© 2012 Audrey Hunt