How to Increase and Maintain Page Views Traffic using Evergreen Articles
As online writers, hubbers or bloggers we get discouraged when we log-into our sites or accounts only to find traffic is dropping. In Hubpages, that little blue arrow indicator pointing downward in “My account” will not make you smile and for some, they might really get stressed by the mere sight of traffic dropping.
How to increase traffic and maintain it never to fall is one of the desired goals in online writing. While sometimes this can be a daunting task due to the fact that traffic may fluctuate on different factors, it is possible to keep traffic to your online work ever rising and maintaining it at required levels. In this article, I will discuss how you can increase and maintain traffic by writing evergreen articles.
What is an evergreen article?
In online writing, an evergreen article, also called “Pillar”, “Cornerstone” or “Flagship” article, is an article that will always drive loads of traffic to your site. An evergreen article remains relevant to readers in its life time, in other words, it stays bloom all year long.
It provides timeless information to a wider audience. That means in its life time, there is a possibility that other sites will backlink to it to provide all year traffic as its relevancy is not time dependent.
An evergreen article is different from a “Spike” article in that, while a spike article draws transient spikey sort of traffic for a short time and then dries out, an evergreen article keeps on attracting both new and return visitors hence constantly and increasingly driving traffic to your site, and that is the desire of every online writer or blogger.
How to increase traffic using Evergreen articles
A good evergreen article has a ripple effect in that, because other sites may backlink and trackback to it, it will rank higher in search engines and probably show up on the first page of searches thus directing new readers to your site long after it was published.
You might have evergreen articles on your site already but the truth is that many articles that you may dedicate all your time and effort in writing may not turn out to be evergreen.
The trick to increasing and maintaining traffic with evergreen articles is to identify the ones you have, their characteristics and then write more of that nature. The more evergreen articles you have on your site the more lasting traffic.
So, how can you identify an evergreen article?
Look for these common characteristics:
- It has relevant information all year round which is not time dependent.
- It brings new and return visitors and continues to do so in its life time.
- It attract attention of major search engines and draws traffic from them
- It has significant backlinks from other sites
How to write an evergreen article
Simply, there are no guidelines for writing an evergreen article. Look at your site and you will be surprised that some of the articles that you spent a lot of time on keyword research and writing them passionately might not be attracting the desired traffic. Some other articles that you wrote with little effort are drawing loads of traffic every day and occasionally hitting the first pages of major search engines.
The key to writing evergreen articles is to use some of the characteristics of timeless writing. Think of what readers want to search for and read all the time. Pick from all year round topics that remains relevant and useful to readers. Here are such topics:
- If you have different perspective of looking at things, you can write about those theories and arguments that draw out fresh and unique thoughts to readers. Managers, politicians, academicians, activists and whole lot of readers in this category are always looking for such information. Here is an example from billybuc.
- Many readers are searching over the internet on ways to solve problems and they want to solve these problems with minimal costs. Write about “How to” and DIY (Do It Yourself) articles as they make good evergreen articles. Here is an example. Don’t forget to update such articles though when new information comes up.
- Another popular way of writing evergreen articles is to write resource articles such as e-books, e-courses or just series of interlinked articles that provides timeless information such as this one. By doing so, you will not only increase traffic but you will also boast your site by making sure visitors stay longer on your site. If you own the site, you can extend the usefulness of such resources by including downloading options such as PDF or .Zip formats.
- List articles is another category that makes very good evergreen articles. List articles are very popular with internet readers who are looking for brief and straight forward information. They are short articles that explain in list form the options of accomplishing or solving a certain problem. These type of articles such as this one or this one are all over the internet; “Top 10 ways to…”, “Different ways on how to..”, “50 ways to…”, “5 tips on how to..”. You can also combine a list article and a "How to.." article in one. This particular article by its nature is a mix of list article and "How to.." article.
While there are many ways in which a writer can draw topics about evergreen articles, it is very difficult to have all evergreen articles and content on a website. The key is to have evergreen articles and have a lot of them to increase page views traffic through new and return visits.
- Hitting 100,000 views inside 8 months on Hubpages: S...
Hubpages platform help online writers to publish articles online and also earn through web content. Here are my stats, earnings and more on reaching 100,000 views on Hubpages.
- You can earn by writing articles on Hubpages: My first Hubpages payout
Hubpages is a robust platform that helps writers to write articles and publish them online. What is even better about Hubpages is that you can earn by writing what you like. Here is my first ever Hubpages payout.
- How to increase page views using Delicious.com
We all need more page views to boast our earnings on Hubpages. While there are many ways in which we can do this, I will specifically discuss Delicious.com. This is a social bookmarking service where users can store, share and discover web bookmarks.
- Chime.in overview and how to use Chime.in to increase page views
Chime.in is a social website which was launched in October 2011 by UberMedia. In this article, I will discuss Chime.in, which can be used to share hub links or other contents to increase page views.
Want to make money online?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Danson Wachira