How to shop on Amazon from Nigeria
When it comes to online shopping, one of the most famous destinations is Amazon.com - the world largest online store. You can find a lot of products listed on this website from mobile phones to computers, kitchenware to fashion accessories and so on. The list is almost endless and they are a lot of new products as well as used ones with prices constantly changing.
Frequent shoppers who shop on Amazon know that there are times when one can find the best deals and times when it just gets competitive so it's always best to take the opportunities when you can.
Shipping restrictions with Amazon
One of the problems which international shoppers face when shopping on Amazon is one the issue of shipping. This is mostly common in cases where there is no local Amazon store or shipping coverage. Amazon does also place shipping restrictions to certain countries such as Nigeria and may only ship certain items like books and dvds to such regions.
Residents in Nigeria fall into these category of international shoppers that have to face a lot of shipping restrictions and it would be a hard bet to be able to shop on Amazon and get it shipped to Nigeria. What then is the solution? How would Nigerians be able to shop on Amazon for any product they want? You just have to be honest about it. Get a service that allows youu to do just that.
Amazon offers shipping to Nigeria but..
Does Amazon really offer any direct shipping to Nigeria? Well, yes they do but only for certain unrestricted items like books, dvds and vcds. For most other stuff being sold on Amazon, you can't get it shipped to Nigeria so you've got to find an alternative way of getting it.
What does it really take to shop at the Amazon webstore?
Well, basically, what one needs are an email address, a credit card, internet connection and a shipping address. For some time in the past, there were no credit or debit cards in Nigeria but lately, these credit cards have become commonplace and you can find Visa and Mastercard brands being offered by a lot of Nigerians and denominated in US dollars or the naira. Now, more and more Nigerians are used to using debit cards online but the issue of getting it shipped to Nigeria from Amazon still remains a problem.
How to shop on Amazon
Here is basically how it works and I've been using it.
- Get a US shipping service using your Nigerian address and bank issued credit card. This gives you a US shipping address
- Sign up for a free Amazon shopping account using your Nigerian credit card and billing address
- Use your US shipping address as your default shipping address
- Shop for any items you want and pay with your card
- Track the items when it is shipped
- Get an email notification from your US shipping address when they receive it
How to ship to Nigeria after shopping
Now that your goods have arrived, the next step is to ship it to Nigeria since it is still in the USA. Here is what you do:
- Order for the goods to be shipped after estimating the costs
- Your credit card gets debited for the shipping costs via a courier service
- Check your account to get the tracking details
- Track your goods until they get to Nigeria. Takes about 5 working days for Lagos.
- Collect your goods with proper identification
It is that easy. The only issue with shopping on Amazon and getting it shipped to Nigeria using a mail forwarding service like this is that you also have to pay for shipping costs which can be as much as $50 per kg.
Tips to reduce your shipping costs
- Ship items which have little weight
- Buy more items and ship in bulk to share costs
- Ship items that are not too wide