- HubPages Tutorials and Community
To Increase Traffic to Your Website, You Must Correctly Link Your Work
Links Are Important
Links are the Superhighway of the Internet
For all the writing about why you need to have a link, it's important to know that you need some so that readers can move nicely between your sites. There are many benefits to linking: increased traffic to hubs of yours, and of course money, you can make more money when you put some links between your hubs. Now for the how.
First the link inside a text of an online article:
1) Choose the text you want to make the link for and highlight it.
2) Once highlighted, two button on the text capsule will "light up" One looks like a chain link, and the other looks like a broken chain link. Otherwise, it can say "link"
3) Click on the chain link one. A pop-up will appear.
4) Once in the pop-up either type in your site you want to link to or pick on of your hubs. This will add a site under the heading "URL" and then click on the insert button on the left. If it's not the site you want click on cancel.
A link is now created in your text, and you have a place for your reader to go.
Here is the why and when: I am a writer, and while I once found text links to be not as good, it was partly because I thought most people won't find it,, and second because it does take a bit more skill with keywords most have. There is some SEO and keywords involved, because links are important to Google and other search engines. Also since you only have two links to any of your hubs and blogs or websites, you need to make sure they are seen. traffic will find them but it's harder.
When: if you need someone to go somewhere outside of hubpages, and need them to do it at the end of your hub. A lot of times in text links are the end of a person reading a hub. Not always but often enough. This of course isn't a bad thing but still it's something to consider. there is of course, less of a chance for a person to make some money if people leave the hub for something else.
Then there is another way once which I like to use: the link capsule. ( A capsule is what hubpages calls the things you write text in, add polls with, add a photo etc.)
It's fairly simple to do:
1) when In edit, on the upper right corner of the hub, you'll see a box called "add more capsules" in it there is a word called "link" with a picture of a chain beside it.
2) Find this and click on it.
3) Scroll down past your comment capsule, and you'll see a link capsule move it up to where you want it using the green arrows on the capsule.
4) Then hit the "edit" button on the capsule.
5) Decide if you want to do a hubpages search or URL.
6) Click the button you want to work with. I tend to use a hubpages search. It helps my own hubs and others as I tend to add other peoples hubs on it as well.
7) When you've done all the sites and hubs you want, click save. You now have a link capsule.
When And Why:
I prefer this one for two reasons: One I can find other hubs easier, and two, I can test the link right there. I use it on all my hubs, as it also gives a brief introduction to what is written in each hub. For someone like me this is a good thing. I can decide if I want to see a hub or website before I click on the link, thereby saving me time. Time and more importantly money, since if the person who is reading a hub doesn't like the links offered they probably won't return to a hub, and so, what good is a link then?
Time for me is an important factor, and that is why I prefer the link capsules.
I encourage everyone to think of links as networking. You'll netowrk to increase both traffic and money potential for you. I also think of them as an important part of my writing business Why?
When I do a link I'm in essence saying that I like this author or this site, now you might not like my choices, but some people might. The question is why do you like the things I like? Think of linking between hubs and other sites as part of a business. One that will potentially make you money.
If you are good at linking, and have the right hub score you can link between hubs that send people into as many interesting hubs as they like. Don't put to many links it's hard on the reader, I tend to like about 4 or 5 links.
Two very big things: links will not get you money, of course it might get you traffic to a hub or site of yours, but be advised that might not make you money either. If the link doesn't have good content or is in violation of hubpages rules, it will be listed as a "no-follow" which means that people who click on the link won't go anywhere. Your hub score of both you and the hub also make a difference, a low personal score means that people can't use your links, so make sure you have a good reputation on hubpages.
The how to link is easy the when and why isn't. it takes time, but once you figure it all out, linking on a hub is fun.
Why Else Should You Link?
Linking is a sort of confusing thing to most people when they first begin but the key is to get traffic to your work. The more traffic the more likely you will make money with the Google AdSense program.
Over time Google, the search engine will notice this and will come to see your work in a better light. At the same time you will also be needing to build up higher quality links such as those from the article directories, where many of them are do follow. However, part of the challenge lies in getting the organic links from other writers is that the search engines value these more.
The other reason is that your traffic comes from all sorts of different sources and you should not dismiss one source simply because you can make money online with a better link.
A link is a link, but you also need to be smart, as to build authority you do need others to help, such as your "stumble" buddies to "like" your work as well as their own. This is a business and the more links you have the better.
The last reason to link is possibly the most important: to understand the foundation you need to understand what links can do, or not do for you. The more you learn the more likely you will eventually make money with AdSense. The only way to do this is with links, and with time.