My One Year Anniversary With HubPages
The Birth of Kathryn Stratford on HubPages
I joined this site sometime in the middle of December 2012. I was searching for a job on several different employment websites, and HubPages had an advertisement as an "untraditional job". I knew it wouldn't be my primary source of income, but I was excited about the idea of writing on a website, so I bookmarked the ad for later. When I was done with my job hunt for the day, I checked the site out. At that point I had doubts about my ability to make money writing, but I decided to sign up. There's no harm in that, right?
I browsed the site that week, and read how-to articles, as well as an assortment of others that looked interesting. I started interacting with the community, and was addicted to that aspect of HubPages right away. At first I was a little too intimidated to start writing, but the seed of hope was planted in me, and the sense of great possibility stared me right in the face.
The Passage of Time
Where did the time go? On one hand it feels like I have been on this site for much longer. I have been so involved in this community, and have gotten so much out of it. It has become such a big part of my life that I can barely imagine what it was like to not be here. So much has changed in my life over the past year that it feels like it's been longer. But on the other hand, 12 months seemed to fly by.
What I Have Discovered
HubPages is a site where anyone can write. We are provided with the tools to make visually appealing articles. More than that, this is a strong writing community, and I have gotten to know so many good people. I not only write, but I read many articles that have had an impact on me. I interact with the people. I try out some of the things I learn while here. I grow, and HubPages has been a great part of my improvement this past year. I have always known myself as the writer I am, but with this site I have actually externalized it. Others can see what I write.
Sample Reading List
- The Secret Of Drive
- The Importance Of Subplots When Writing A Novel
Learning how to incorporate subplots into your novel will add layers of richness to it. Here are some points to consider.
- Tips on Quick Healthy Meals and Snacks on the Go
It's difficult to develop healthy eating habits when you're on the go all the time. If you're looking for quick healthy meals or healthy snacks on the go, then continue reading.
- Recycled Old T-Shirt Craft Ideas: Clothing and Accessory Projects
Do you have old t-shirts lying around at home? Recycle them into clothing and accessories with these craft projects and ideas.
- DIY Hair Treatments
Making your own hair treatments are easy to do and will be so much more beneficial for your hair and scalp. No more bad hair days when DIY treatments are in your cupboard and fridge, here are 9 treats
- Murder by Mail by M. D. Lake - book review
Another cozy mystery by M. D. Lake
- Making a Difference in the World: Can You Do It?
Don't have enough time or money to make a difference? There are so many other ways to make a difference in someone's life.
Learning and Growing Through Reading
During my time here on HubPages, I have read many articles. Below is a list of many of the topics, with a sampling of what I have read to the right.
- Poetry ~ This site has so many wonderful poets
- Diet and Fitness
- Health and Nutrition
- Frugal Living
- DIY pampering treatents
- Upcycling and Recycling projects
- Arts and Crafts
- How-to articles
- Pop culture articles
- Book Reviews
- Gift Ideas
- H.O.W. movement
My Own Articles
I enjoy writing very much, and have so many ideas that I don't always get to all of them. This coming year I hope to finish many of the articles I started, and gain more of a focus when I do have time to write.
Some of my own writing topics are:
- Recipes: Baking mixes, recipes using the mixes, pancakes, pizza and a homemade crust, and my own variation of recipes that I whip together when I am in a creative mood. Also, reviews of recipes by other HubPage writers
- Beverage recipes: iced tea, and spiced tea mix
- My own journey and challenges: weight loss, writing, and HubPages
- Employment articles, including my popular "How To Stay Productive While Unemployed"
- Pictorial tour: Carson Beach in South Boston
- Reminiscing and reflecting: Childhood, my friend Ellie, evaluating resolutions
- Gift buying articles for both women and men, with many tips and suggestions
- Informative articles: On what not to put in a garbage disposal, on finding happiness, and what to do while on public transportation, and many of the benefits of living alone
- Humor: A selection of my favorite funny commercials
- Fictional short story
- Meeting a fellow HubPages writer in person
Great Tips For Writers
Reaching My First Payout
It was the end of November of 2013 that I reached my first $50 payout, and I received it at the end of December. It took a while, but since then the daily earnings have gone up, so my next payout shouldn't take as long to reach. But ultimately I am not here for the money. I love the community, and writing itself. It has fulfilled a yearning I have had inside me for quite a long time. The money is only a bonus.
This was my November 2013 progress:
- My Journey Through HubPages
This is a reflection of my path as a writer, and my journey through HubPages. I provide insight into some of life's inspiration, as well as my progress on this site
I have started many articles already, and hope to finish them over time. I just don't want to publish them until they are ready. Here are a few topics to expect from me in the next year:
- I have another couple of pizza recipes coming up
- I have more recipes using the baking mixes: cookies and quick breads
- I have a mostly pictorial hub of a beautiful park in this area
- I have plans for seasonal hubs
- I have ideas for a couple of relationship hubs
- I will work on some more gift articles
- I have started one on making extra money
- I have ideas for hubs on the topic of frugal living
- I have a few topics in mind related to organizing and planning
- I have a couple of arts and crafts hubs in mind
- No doubt there will be many more recipe hubs, because I really enjoy cooking and baking
- A sequel to the one fictional short story I wrote a few months ago
- Various hubs paying tribute to other Hubbers, and reviewing many more recipes, products, and DIY treatments that other writers have come up with
Many of my articles are based on what is going on in my life, and the inspiration around me. So I am sure I will come up with so many different topics. I hope you enjoy them.
This year I plan on writing a couple of articles per month. This is my second hub of January, and I feel it is a realistic goal. If I accomplish this, I will have another 22 hubs by the end of the year, bringing the total to 56 articles.
If you are interested in my existing articles, or the ones I will write soon, feel free to "follow" me, or to bookmark my author page below.
To learn more about the author, or read more of her works, click on http://kathrynstratford.hubpages.com