My Very First Hub on Hubpages - Expectations and Reality
This is my very first hub!
The inner writer and nerd in me is calling out my name! What should I do? Do I answer it, or do I ignore it? I know for myself that I'm so bored and I have practically nothing to do at the moment. And I also see no harm in trying this one out. So with that, I think that I am indeed giving it a go!
Well basically, I'm already sort of inclined into writing stuff and creating online content for a while now, because of the inter-net's and and the various social networking sites' influence on me. I actually spend most of my week on the web, surfing and writing posts on my multiple social media networks. I even have accounts on several other websites such as this one just to satisfy my cravings for writing and content creation.
The reason why I'm here is because I continually like to try out new things. I want to discover more stuff on the internet as well as improve my skills in the process. They say "practice makes perfect", but in my case, I say "discovery breeds masters". I won't go as far as explaining the latter part of what I just said, because I just made that up just now. *Hehe*
Later on, I will show you my expectations as well as the realities that I'm bound to encounter and run through. I'll even make an "Expectations vs. Reality" table just to highlight my progress and first-hand experience on creating this very first hub of mine.
My Hubpages Expectations
Let's see why my mind wandered into this mysterious yet brilliant writing domain. I'll be throwing my thoughts and pieces of ideas in the next section as to why the wind of the web carried me here to write and create.
As someone fairly new to the program, I'm in a state of naivety as well as nature-shock with regards to everything this site has to offer up from its sleeves. I am even in a state of panic and worry over the fact that "publishing" and "featuring" prerequisites and requirements are strict with this website.
I expect Hubpages to be...
Oh, my new friend Hubpages! Please be good to me. As I've reiterated already, this is my first hub here in Hubpages and as such, I would like to tell you how beautiful and wonderful you are. Ok, I was just kidding! What I really wanted to tell you are my expectations of you. Yes, YOU!
I am fully aware that my stay here won't be an easy and comforting walk in the park, but I hope that someday, it will! Here's a list of my expectations of you:
- Writing Power! Yes, I've come here to write so I wish that I'd become a better and greater writer with your help. I guess writing more hubs, editing and updating them regularly, and pampering them until they're the best would do the trick!
- Reading Skill Overhaul! As they say, you won't be a good writer if you can't read better. I also believe that "that" is true. Well, I'm sure that by being here, I would be able to read other hubs as well (written by other writers here) in order to improve my reading skill, my vocabulary, my spelling and grammar, and many other factors. By doing so, I'll be hitting two birds with one stone. Not only does my reading skill enhance but also my writing skill.
- Knowledge and Wisdom Acquisition. Because of all the words, sentences, paragraphs, stories, facts, and opinions scattered here on Hubpages, it's inevitable that I'll much of these pieces of brain food that will boost my all-knowing and mind capabilities.
- Let's be Friends. I'm not entirely sure with this one, but I bet that I'll eventually gain friends here by interacting and connecting with the people here. *I hope they won't bite me*
- The Golden Reward. This is utterly amazing! Can you believe you could earn by writing and just sharing your ideas and thoughts? I'll be looking more into this and hope that one day, I could earn enough to get myself "unlimited snacks". Mwahahaha!!! I could see this as a great bonus for doing a job well done. It's a good feeling that after all you've done, there's golden reward waiting for you.
The Start of my Hubpages Reality
So there, I believe that this is the first step to the adventure that awaits me at Hubpages. I'm practically on my adapting stage here so I know that there's really a lot for me to learn doing this activity. The secrets and tricks of the trade are just waiting for me to crack them.
Yeah, It took me quite a while to write this hub up and I am definitely sure that it is still very far from perfect. That doesn't worry me though. I just have to pick up the necessary skill sets along the way and bulldoze my way to the stage where everything would already seem effortless to do as well as relaxing to the senses.
It might take a while, but I'll strive and persist until I succeed. There's no going back now! Bring it on Hubpages! Show me what you've got! And I'll show you what I've got in my own arsenal. May it be a hundred steps or a millions steps, I know that the fulfillment and satisfaction with this website is coming to my hands soon.
Let me realize my goals and get my imagination into the heights of reality. Good luck to me, and may the stars guide my stay and adventure here. This is or will be soon...my Hubpages reality. With that, my journey begins...More to writing power!
Expectations Vs. Reality
Successful Publication on First Try
Rejected on First Try
Number of Words
More than the Above-Average Number
Smooth and Continuous
Grammar and Spelling
Correct and Concise
What does my Expectation Vs. Reality Table mean?
To put more general, it a table of parameters depicting my expectations and the reality that I actually ran into. It shows my overall performance as well as the barricades I passed through in order to get this hub done.
The Parameters and the Results are as follows:
Publishing. The first time I pushed the publish button, I was sure that this hub would immediately get published. But, I was wrong! It didn't go well and I was told that the content was simply not enough to be pass the high-quality bar that will suffice to turn it into a featured article.
Number of Words. At first, I thought that getting a hub to the minimum number of words would automatically get it published. It turns out that you need a lot more than the average to get your work featured and in tiptop shape. I was under the impression that my word count was already enough but it wasn't. The whole of the hub doesn't need quantity. It needs quality.
Editing. If you think about it, you would say that editing would be too easy. But if try it out yourself in practice, you would find out that it simply isn't. As you go the way, you'll learn that squeezing out some ideas from your brain for effective writing would take up much more effort than you couldn't have imagined.
Grammar and Spelling. Since not everyone is an ace at English and languages, getting the correct terms as well as grammar would not be easy at all. Until now, I'm sure that I'm not that confident with my writing. I think that there's always a mistake in the body of my writing no matter how hard I edit it. After all, all languages are dynamic and no one could ever be a master in an ever-changing and evolving language.