- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Help for New Hubbers
How Do I Get Started On HubPages? Guidelines To Get Noticed by Writing and Publishing Evergreen SEO Hub Page Articles
Meet The Author!
Marketing Online From Amazon!
If You Can Write than You Can Be Successful!
What is HubPages?
So you came across HubPages and think that you are a good fit for the Community...Awesome!
Welcome to HubPages!
HubPages is a place where you can Create and Publish Original Articles:
As long as you follow the HubPages Guidelines, you can write about whatever you want!
You Own the Rights to What You Write and Publish! This makes you a Published Author!
What do you like to write about?
Are you a Sports Addict?
Maybe you want to tell the world why you have no faith.
Maybe its Autos you're into, or Family and Parenting ideas. Perhaps you are a Fashionable dresser and want to share your style with the world!! There are unlimited topics that you can write about on HubPages!
That's what's great about being a member of the HubPages community! You can write about whatever you want as long as you follow the HubPages Guidelines and be respectful to other writers. It's that easy!
Write Down Your Goals!
HubCamp Boston AttendeesClick thumbnail to view full-size
What Should I do To Get Started?
Allow me to share my own Experience.
I started writing Hubs 2 years ago. I have always loved to write. I began writing down poems as young as 10 years old. My mother is a writer; I guess it is in my blood.
Anyway, I was working at a window manufacturing factory and was laid off when the company closed it's doors.
I came across HubPages while I was searching online for information about Freelance Writing. I had a lot of time on my hands, it was early summer here in New England, and I had nothing else to do!
And so I joined Hubpages.
At first I did some Movie Reviews.
I love watching movies, particularly horror and comedy. I figured, why not write down my opinions about them?
I started slow, a few Hubs here and there. A few months went by and I didn't do much. I was still searching for writing sites to join.
Then I'd publish a Hub and try to see if I was making money. Guess what? I wasn't!
You know what happened? I started getting followers and comments! People seemed to like what I was publishing! I found some really awesome writers here on HubPages! Some people start on fire and never stop burning! Others like myself are a little bit slower. It really doesn't matter.
The thing that counts is quality and eventually, quantity
Something that I started doing to keep track of my productivity on HubPages was to create a Personal Productivity Sheet. On my productivity sheets I have categories such as My Questions , My Answers , My Comments (I have left on other people's Hubs), My Hub Comments , New Followers , and number of New Hubs Published.
I set a daily goal and try to keep track of my activity. My goals were to ask 3 questions a day, answer at least 5 questions and try to get at least 5 new followers each day. I also try to comment on other people's Hubs at least 5 times per day. I immediately noticed an increase in my traffic.
One of the best things that you can do if you are able to, is to attend a HubCamp. HubCamps will give you the information that you need to create money-making Hubs. You will learn about Google AdSense and how to choose a perfect title that will be noticed in search engines.
I was lucky enough to attend HubCamp Boston on May 15, 2011 at the prestigious Back Bay Hotel.
Need Help With Grammar?
Can You Make Money On HubPages?
Short answer; Yes. But it isn't guaranteed and it definitely doesn't happen overnight!
For some, including myself, it can take more than a year. How do you make money? By Creating Original, Search-Friendly Content.
To be monetarily successful on HubPages you need to do a lot of things. First, as mentioned above, you need to create Quality Content in Your Hubs.
Second, you need to get followers. I find that the best way to get people to follow you is to read their Hubs and comment on them. You have to be genuine; don't be superficial leaving comments on Hubs you haven't read or that you didn't enjoy reading.
When you like a Hub Rate It: "Up" and select an Appropriate Reason Why You Liked It.
Was the Article Useful, Beautiful, Funny or Interesting ?
Ratings help increase Hub score and lets the author know what people think about what they wrote. When you do this, you are showing other Hubbers that you like their work and are willing to read more from them. If you don't like a particular topic, don't explore it just to get Hub activity.
Will you be a millionaire? Probably not. In fact, most likely you will earn moderate income from HubPages. Some people are making some pretty decent money out here. Many have been able to use HubPages income from adsense revenue to quit there day job and become full time writers. Many of these writers also publish their work on other sites as well. The point is that the more quality work you have with great exposure, then you have a great potential to make a decent earning from your efforts.
Simple Goals: Create a Chart!
Elements of A Successful Article
There are certain things to consider if you want to reach the best search engine results from your articles. Probably the most important thing that will make your article stand out from all the others (on the entire web) is what you choose to write about. Here is the "Golden Rule":
Do a Google Search of a Topic you wish to write about. Open the first 3 links in the search results and look at the content in each result. Then you need to ask yourself: "Can I Do Better Than This?" You need to be honest with yourself when answering this question. If the answer is No, Don't Bother! You'll Be Wasting Your Time! If your answer is Yes, then Get Writing!
Keep Your Digital Camera Ready! You Never Know What You Can Capture!
What Elements Make an Article Stand Out in Search Engines?
HubPages has been around for more than 5 years now and they have learned a lot as a company as to what types of content are successful, through trial and error. The HubPages Team monitors trends site-wide and recently released a list of the things that successful Hubs have in them.
HubPages hosted a program called "Flagship Hubs" which was a program designed to follow several Hubs over a long period of time (starting in 2007) and the statistics showed that certain common elements within those Hubs made them stand out. Here are the results:
Each Hub Contained All of the Following Successful Elements:
- Contained at least 1,500 Words: No "Fluff", just awesome, original content
- Contained at least 5 Original Photos. These photos have to be High Resolution and Used Legally with proper attributes. Personal Photos Work Best! (photos you take yourself)
- These Hubs Contained at least 1 High Quality Video (from multiple sources; your own will do best) The best videos teach "How To Do" something.
- Contained at least 1 Map
- Had a Table Embedded in the Article
- Included at least 1 Poll and, or Quiz properly placed in the article
- Included a minimum of 10 relevant Tags and included a variation of multiple spellings (Ex. HubPages, Hub Pages---Southeast, Southeast)
- A Brief Summary (150 words or less, generally 2-3 sentences) that explains the purpose of your Hub.
- An Easy to Read and Aesthetically Pleasing Format. Paragraphs in the article are broken up within several Text Capsules, Ads (Amazon and eBay) are Strategically Placed as well are Tables, Quizzes, Photos, Videos and Polls.
Additional Tips for Making Your Hub Stand Out
Although there are a lot of tips within this Hub, don't get overwhelmed! You may want to Bookmark this Hub for future reference. I did not write this entire Hub in one sitting! I have edited, re-edited and I am constantly adding information as I learn about what makes successful articles.
The HubPages Learning Center has become my best friend, and there are many experienced Hubbers out there that offer excellent information; you should take advantage of both! Here are some additional tips that I have learned over time:
- Break parts of your article into Several Text Capsules. This increases the overall look of your Hub, makes it easier to read and allows for better Ad Placement.
- Use Bullets (just as I am doing here with the little "dots" to the left of each point. Using Bullets in your articles presents the information in a list form. You can also use Numbers when you feel it will help get your point across or if you are listing specifically ordered steps on how to do something (ex. Recipe, How To Hubs...)
- NEVER use "All Caps" (did you see that?) for more than a few words here and there to stress an important point. It's loud, rude and will turn away readers.
- Constant Underlining is also something that you should avoid as it makes the article very busy and hard to read.
View Your Individual Hub Statistics! Here's How: (click on photos below to enlarge image)
Regularly Come Back to your Hubs and Reevaluate Them To See What Changes Can Be Made:
- Make sure you didn't miss any Spelling or Grammar Errors.
- When possible, Add Additional Content and make sure your Information is Up To Date!
- Check up on Keywords by using the "Analyze Stats Tool". You can see what keywords are being used in search but not included in your articles
- Go to "My Account"
- Click on the Hub that you want to analyze (don't click "edit", just click on the Hub's link)
- On the top left, click "Stats"
- You can Analyze your Individual Hubs with these tabs.
- Daily Stats
- Weekly Stats
- Monthly Stats
- Total Stats
- Hub Metrics
- eBay Stats
Checking these statistics regularly and using the Free Tools available will help you improve your Hubs and you will increase your knowledge on how to Optimize your Articles. You should get in the habit of doing this on a regular basis and if you accumulate many articles, you may want to record your update frequency so that no Hub gets left behind!
What Should I Do Next?
The best thing you can do is understand that writing on HubPages is a journey and you will not learn everything all at once. Over time you will learn some tricks to the trade and you will create some wonderful friendships with awesome writers in the community.
Get out there and Learn, Read, Comment, Share and above all else...Write! Jump in and don't be afraid to ask questions. You can e-mail the HubGreeters or Staff Members with questions about HubPages and you can also check out the forums and post your questions there.
I hope that you have found this guide useful and I would love to hear your comments. Remember, don't get overwhelmed and go at your own pace. Most Hubbers don't find instant success right away, but over time with a lot of effort, you will succeed! Best of Success!
Follow the Links below To Learn More About Writing on HubPages
The following links contain useful and specific information on a variety of topics on HubPages. Many of these Hub Articles where written as responses to Question asked on HubPages.
Ever Wonder About the Future of Online Publishing?
- Content Wars: HubPages and The Future of Online Video Photo Publishing for Effective Advertising
"Quality Content Is... A Publication of Information that a Publisher Provides for People Searching for Specific Information. The Author's Content is Easy to Understand and is Presented to the Reader with Comprehensive Information, so that the Info...
The Ever Changing Hubber Score!
Worried About Your Hubber Score? Here Is Why You Shouldn't Be!
- Why Is My Hub Score Fluctuating? 3 Steps for Maintaining a High Hub and Hubber Score?
Does your HubScore and HubberScore change frequently? Do you wonder why? This article answers the question, "Why Does My Hub Score Frequently Change?"
Heard About the "30 Hubs in 30 Days" Hub Challenge? Check This Out to See Why You Should Attempt It!
- Advantages of Doing the HubPages 30 Hubs In 30 Days Challenge: With A Twist!
This article discusses the benefits of taking the 30 Hubs in 30 Days Hub Challenge...with a Twist! I will be integrating the Challenge and the "Know it All" Contest simultaneously!
Hit A Wall In Your Writing?
Suffering From Writer's Block? Check Out These Useful Tips
- 10 Tips That Will Help Overcome Writers Block for Writers on HubPages
Let's face it. Many if not most writers face that horrible plague of "Writer's Block" from time to time. Not to worry! It is normal, and with these 10 Useful Tips to help get you out of this funk, you will be writing again in no time!
HubPages Headquarters, San Francisco, CA
Take This Quiz!
view quiz statistics
Very Useful HubPages Links
- Making Money on HubPages: Our Monetization Partners
Hubs are monetized by two types of revenue models using four different advertising partners...
- The HubPages Learning Center
If you have questions about HubPages, this is the place to check out! Most of your questions can be answered here. Truly the best resource for aspiring Hubbers!
- What is the HubPages Ad Program?
HubPages Ad Program provides an optimized mix of premium ads from multiple ad partners to run alongside your Google AdSense, and Amazon and eBay Capsules, on your Hubs...
- What is the Google Adsense Affiliate Program and How Does it Work?
Google AdSense is the easiest affiliate program to set up on HubPages and can be an excellent source of revenue for those that write successful Hubs. Before setting up Google AdSense with your HubPages account...
- Researching Your Topic and Title
Before you can start doing this research you need to first determine the broad subject area you'd like to write about, and then figure out what part of that subject you'd like to focus on for your a Hub...
- What is Evergreen Content: Why is it Valuable?
Evergreen Content, is content that won't age over time. It will be useful days, months and years to come. This is valuable on HubPages because your Evergreen Content has the potential to make money...
- What is the Long Tail of Search Traffic, and How Do I Implement it on HubPages?
Long tail search terms are simply terms or keywords with fewer searches for the keyword and the term is highly specific, usually more than three words. Research shows...
- How To Choose the Right Title: Find Your Niche!
You might be asking yourself, "With the thousands or even millions of other pages out there on the same topic as the Hub I'm writing now, how on earth will I ever get any visitors?"
© 2011 JS Matthew