- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Help for New Hubbers
I have learned a tough lesson, I am 25 now but when I was younger I never listened to any health warnings etc, because you believe you are untouchable and immortal to anything, well your not.
I used to be able to read anything without glasses I could see for miles and had sharp eyes, but now I am not as lucky, having strained my eyes so badly I need glasses to read and write and watch the television and computer, its my own fault for not reading and listening to health warnings and instructions.
Now I am going to try to help you, the first signs of eye strain are pretty simple to detect, I got blood shot eyes, tooth ache and terrible head aches that came straight from behind my eye and deffered the pain into my teeth believe you me it hurts. They could last from one hour to two days even longer in some cases, causing sleeping to be very difficult and making me go the full twenty four hours awake.
So to avoid eye strain I am going to write a little guide underneath for you all to check and follow to make sure that you don't do the same as what I have because I would not wish this on any one.
Your Check List
When you are either going to read a book, or work on the computer, and or an electric till in a shop these simple checks are what you must do first, (basic health and safety)
- Is the room well lighted (put all the lights on, make sure there is plenty of light)
- Is the room well ventilated
- Don't stand or sit too close to the screen, (a good distance is necessary for your health, and to avoid headaches)
- Always take breaks, ( after each 1 hour on it you should take a 20 mins break for your own health and safety)
- If you need glasses wear them, (don't be stupid and work without them or you will hurt your eyes and possibly give your self a head ache.)
Once you have checked these and can safely say yes to them then you can proceed even though these are just basic steps, follow them its for your own good that I wrote this, as I was silly and am now paying the price for it and you don't want to end up like me do you?
That photograph at the top will show you what to expect otherwise.