Beware Of The Craigslist Scam
Long Distance Money Transfer
Craigslist is one of the main sites that people get scammed using. Note that Craigslist has nothing to do with money orders, wire transactions, checks, or any other form of money transfers.
- Doing Long Distance Business- Okay, only a dumbass would do business with someone far away from them. Say for example, you are living in California, and you decide to purchase something from someone all the way in Liverpool, England, and the person asks you to make a wire transfer with Western Union, of any other money wiring system, that should raise anyone's suspicions. Never do business with someone that you can't meet in person. Most people asking for money wiring on Craigslist are scammers. They will con you out of your money and you will receive nothing in return.
- Financial Information-Never give your financial information to someone over Craigslit, EVER!! That's one of the biggest mistakes you could ever make. Some people fall for these promises scammers make, leaving them wide open for an attack.
- Social Security Numbers-(Uhhh hint:SSN in wrong hands=identity theft.)Everyone should know that giving your social out over the internet has a high possibility of going completely wrong, especially when you are doing business with unknown people. But, somehow, people are scammed by that exact same thing..........ridicolous
- Fake Checks Over Craigslist-Okay now I don't think people have to be stupid to fall victim to this. It may be kind of hard to figure out whether some checks are real or not.
- Selling Homes On Craigslist-Alright everyone, this is my opinion, people should not try to sell their home over the internet, especially Craigslist. Scammers can rent or buy your home. Scammers have reportedly taken photos of homes and placed ads on Craigslist, making people believe that they are the renters of the property, costing people hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Craigslist is a good web site, it's just that scammers have gotten ahold of it, making it dangerous. Before you make business with this web site, follow these rules below
- Deal locally with people you can meet in person
- Never wire funds through MoneyGram, Western Union, or any other wire service-anyone who asks is a scammer.
- Fake cashier checks and money orders are common. Banks will cash them, and hold you completely responsible when it is discovered to be fake weeks later.
- Craigslist isn't involved in any scams, transactions, or buyer protection.