10 Tips on How to Write on Hubpages
My Experience Writing on Hubpages
Hubpages is struggling, to be honest. While new hubbers join, it isn't as big as it used to be. I think Hubpages is a great platform to write on and I want to see more people succeed on Hubpages, even if it means I lose out on some hits.
I provided these tips to help others out in the hopes they will enjoy their time here on Hubpages and write more.
Update Your Hubs Often
I have updated this hub multiple times due to changes made to Hubpages. Even when you think you know everything about a topic, something could change which forces you to go back in to make revisions. I suggest you do the following:
- Update your hubs once every six months. I go in and glance over a hub to see if anything can be changed. I do this to keep the content fresh and take advantage of new features. Plus Google and other search engines like new content.
- Look at your hubs to see if there are any errors. Fix those errors right away and spruce up your hub if you see problems with it.
- Revise poorly performing hubs. If you see a hub getting hardly any hits, go in and make some changes. You never know if changing a title could make all the difference.
How often do you update your old hubs?
Need Some Goals?
In my opinion goals have been one of the best features added on Hubpages. As you are writing your hub, these goals update to show how you are progressing. These goals are:
- Write at least 1250 words. This will provide a good article for someone to read and give you the hits you want.
- Have at least three pictures. Having more than three pictures can be better if they are relevant to the topic and there is a decent description.
- Have at least two interactive capsules. This could be a quiz, poll, video, or table. This sets the article apart by having a variety of information to take in.
Don't Expect to be Successful on Hubpages
You won't be successful right away. It takes a lot of work to become a moderate success on Hubpages. Consider the following when writing on Hubpages:
- Don't expect to be successful overnight. It can take multiple years to earn money on Hubpages.
- Don't expect to make money. I've earned more money in the Apprenticeship Program (which has been discontinued) than anything else. So it takes awhile to earn money based on ad hits, product sales, etc.
- Write because you enjoy it. Write because you want to, not for the money. I like interacting with others when they leave a comment, vote in a poll, etc.
How much money do you make per month on Hubpages?
Hubber Score Means Something
Your hubber score indicates how well you are doing overall on Hubpages as far as your actions go. Interacting on the forums, posting hubs, etc. affect your score. Some things to keep in mind when it comes to your hubber score:
- Try to keep it up high. Those new to Hubpages may gravitate to those hubbers that have a higher score.
- It can affect your hubs. If you have a high hubber score, that can reflect in your hubs. So keep it high.
- It boosts your self esteem. Having a high hubber score makes you feel good about yourself too.
- It doesn't matter to outside users. Those coming in outside of Hubpages to read your article won't care what your score is.
Hub Score Means Everything
On the other hand, the score your hub has means a lot. If it's a very low number, it could mean a few things:
- Poor quality hub.
- Hub that receives little to no hits.
- Hubbers voting the hub down.
If you see a hub with a low score, go do some edits on it. It will help boost your score and perhaps earn the hub some more hits. If you don't, you risk having it not featured, which means no traffic will come in for that hub.
Keep Your Hubs Featured
Featured is a very important thing here on Hubpages. If your hubs are not featured, then you have no way of getting hits from people doing searches on search engines. If you find your hubs not being featured:
- Edit your hub to add some more content. This will zip it back to featured in no time.
- Use different capsules to have a variety in your hub. Adding capsules will increase the variety in your hubs.
- Change the titles on your capsules to produce better results in search engines. This is one of the biggest issues hubbers have. I still find titles I need to revise when I look at my hubs.
Try for Network Sites
One of the best things about Hubpages is the implementation of Network sites. Basically, sites designed with specific content in mind. Most of my articles are on Hubpages, but, the few that are on a Network site get some of the highest traffic I have seen. I have had articles rejected from Network sites, which is fine! They have strict guidelines which I think is a good thing.
Delete Your Hubs
This was one of the hardest things I had to do. But I finally broke down and started to delete hubs that weren't performing well. I did this so I could get rid of my poor content which could be dragging my other hubs and Hubpages down in general.
The first hub I deleted was on something no one was searching on. It was a very niche topic that was relevant for a short time. So there was no point in keeping the content. Do yourself a favor and delete those irrelevant hubs.
Have you ever deleted a poor performing hub?
Keep a Notepad Around for Ideas
When you have an idea for a hub, jot it down so you can refer to it later. You can get ideas at any time. There are various ways you can keep track of your ideas:
- Smartphone. This is what I do primarily, as I always keep my phone on me.
- A notepad. This is old-school, but useful in a pinch.
- E-mail. Send an e-mail to yourself with your idea. I know I can type faster on a computer keyboard than on my smartphone, so this one allows you to provide more details relevant to your idea.
- Start a hub with the title of your idea and save it for future use. I do this a lot to save title ideas.
Don't Get Involved with the Drama
There is a lot of drama on the Hubpages community. Some think moderators pick on people, have their own personal favorites, etc. Other hubbers can be very close minded, egotistical, etc.
I even quit Hubpages for over a year because of the community. There are some good people, you just have to find them. Or, you can do what I do and rarely engage with the community so you won't involve yourself with the drama.
Will any of these tips help you as you are writing on Hubpages?
More Hubpages Tips
There are so many more tips that other hubbers can give about writing on Hubpages. These are just the ones that I felt helped me grow as a hubber.
In the end you will find your own style. But I do hope that some of these tips help future hubbers out there write quality content.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 David Livermore