Valentine Dessert for Two - How to Make a 4-Ingredient Nutella Lava Cake Recipe
A Great Dessert Needs a Great Dish
Theme mugs are a novel way to bake an easy delicious dessert and this one is no exception. Pick your favorite coffee mug or buy one as a gift for someone special. This dessert mixes up fast, bakes quickly, so throw it in your oven or toaster oven while you are enjoying a glass of wine at the end of your main course. If you are making it for yourself, I'm sorry if you become addicted to it.
Great Container to Bake In
Some of the oven-proof containers are pretty clunky or not that attractive. Use what you have. There is no need to go out and buy expensive glamorous-looking bake ware when you can garnish your desserts and main courses to give them a nice eye appeal.
- Ramekins are great and come in many sizes
- Pyrex and FireKing make many sized clear glass and decorative bake ware
- Mugs, tea and coffee cups are a novel way to present dessert
- Use small foil cups and tie a doily around them with a ribbon to glam them up a bit
- Thrift stores are great places to pick up novel and useful single and double serve bake ware.
Do you Want to Plate Your Dessert?
If you would like to present your dessert on a plate, then thoroughly grease your baking container or use a cooking spray. Mix the cake ingredients in a small bowl, then scrape them into the baking container.
- 1/2 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 cup nutella, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, divided
- 6 tablespoons milk, divided, regular, almond, silk, etc
What Else you Will Need
- two mugs or oven-safe dishes
- 1/4 teaspoon measuring spoon
- tablespoon measuring spoon
- liquid glass measuring cup
- mixing spoon or fork
- oven or toaster oven
- ice cream, optional
- whipped cream, optional
Do you like lava cake desserts?
Directions at a Glance
- Grab your bag of flour and measure 4 tablespoons of flour (¼ cup) into each mug.
- Measure ¼ cup Nutella into each mug.
- Add ¼ teaspoon baking powder to each mug.
- Add 3 tablespoons of milk to each mug
- Take a fork and beat the mixture in each mug vigorously until smooth, scraping the sides and bottom with a small spatula.
- Sit each mug on a pie plate or cookie sheet in your oven or toaster oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 17 minutes until the top is set but the middle is still semi-liquid
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before adding, whipped cream, ice cream, a scoop of nutella, chopped nuts or chocolate.
- Enjoy it with someone special!
Grab Your bag of Flour
Measure 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) Flour for Each Mug
Pour the Flour Into Each Mug
A Word About the Flour
When you are going to bake and eat out of the same container, the dessert doesn't need much structure, so any kind of flour you use in your daily life works here. Some flours however, can alter the baked flavor of the dessert. This is usually fine with chocolate lava cakes because the chocolate has good masking qualities to disguise any bitterness. Making a butterscotch or strawberry lava cake may have a different result.
If you are going to plate your dessert, then the flour you use needs to have a bit of gluten in it to hold the baked lava cake together so that it doesn't collapse into a gooey pile when you tip it onto the plate. Gluten flours are generally wheat or some other cereal grain.
Rice flour will probably not work if this dessert is to be plated. If you are using rice flour, serve the dessert in a single-serve baking container.
Measure 1/4 Cup Nutella for Each Mug
Scrape the Nutella Into Each Mug
Measure 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder for Each Mug and Dump it In
Measure 3 Tablespoons of Milk for Each mug and Dump it In
A Word About The Milk
The milk in this recipe can be any kind of milk you use in your daily living. The milk is a moisturizer and sauce maker and has a few binding qualities but most of the binding qualities come from the flour. Nut milks, soy, coconut, dairy - it all works.
Take a Fork and Beat the Mixture Vigorously Until it is Smooth
Sit the mug on a pie Plate or Cookie Sheet in Your Oven or Toaster Oven
I used a toaster oven to bake this. It uses a lot less power, produces a lot less heat and frees up the oven for other things. The pie plate is in case something spills to catch the drips.
Bake at 350 Degrees F for 15 To 17 Minutes
When it's Done
Carefully remove it from the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes to cool slightly. Garnish with whipped cream, ice cream, a dollop of nutella, chopped almonds or chopped chocolate. Good luck on making this just once!
They say a person's heart is through their stomach. You'll create a lifer for sure.
Tips for Plating Your Dessert
Some people find that eating dessert out of a coffee cup is not their style. They prefer to remove the lava cake from the container and put it in a nice dish or plate. If this is your style, here are some tips to help.
It is much easier to tip your dessert on a plate if you bake your dessert in single-serve stand alone containers. A six-cup muffin tin, for example, with two lava cakes baked in it, would be more difficult to put on two plates than if you used two individual containers.
So, as stated above, use cooking spray or butter to grease your containers and mix the ingredients together in a small bowl before scraping it into the containers. Pay particular attention to the bottoms and corners your containers. Be sure to read the capsule called "A Word about Flour".
To get your lava cake onto a plate:
- let the lava cake set up in the baking container for about 5 minutes after it comes out of the oven.
- run a thin-bladed knife around the edge of the container, down to the bottom, without poking the sides of the cake.
- move the cake onto a pot holder (the dessert could still be hot) and put your dessert plate upside down on top of the lava cake.
- with two hands, pick up the pot holder, the lava cake and the plate and gently flip it over so the plate is now on the bottom and the lava cake container is now upside down on the plate.
- carefully lift the container a little and see if the lava cake is starting to sit on the plate. If it is then continue to lift the container off.
- if it is stuck, flip the whole thing over again and repeat the process.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||216|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 24 g||37%|
|Carbohydrates 66 g||22%|
|Sugar 45 g|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Sodium 40 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|