Why Lists Work - 10 Of the Best of the Best
WHY TOP TEN LISTS GENERATE TRAFFIC
1. Lists are easy to read
2. Lists are easy to skim
3. Smart, busy people use Lists
4. Lists are easier to share, tweet, etc.
5. Lists are faster to write or generate.
6. Headlines containing numbers receive higher responses
7. Lists command higher long-term traffic
8. Lists generate more responses from readers
9. They add authority by implying insight and knowledge
10. They can be repurposed into newsletter, posts or visuals.
Generate Web Traffic because they can be skimmed.
Personally speaking, life is messy, unpredictable and complicated, but I suspect that this is true for some of you too.
There are many choices to be made, from almost infinite options and with less than perfect information. In the real world, things seldom, add up to 10 and almost never alliterate neatly without being coerced.
Perhaps this is the reason that list-related content is so popular with readers.
As for writers, good content can be shared with fewer words and generally put together more quickly.
- Smart people use lists, they are a proven format and thus popular with busy people.
We are told that web readers have short attention spans, keep paragraphs short and lists are the way to get your message across.
- They are easy to skim and easy to read.
If someone is looking for a specific item, a way to do something, advice - a list is a quick way to grab their attention and hopefully visit your page as you have already done all the work.
Google search on 'lists', brings up the Ultimate top 10 Lists, Forbes Lists, and many other intriguing and fun time wasters. Whatever it is you are looking for there is bound to be a list for it.
Top Ten Songs of All Time
- Lists are easier to share as the content is more consumable than that of a wordy post.
There is an appealing simplicity to such a list, there is a limit it's only 10 after all, you can cope with 10, you have the time to read 10, time to do 10.
Someone, presumably knowledgeable on the subject, has already chosen them for you from the millions of ideas, lists, products, articles or reviews published or produced, which cuts out a whole lot of pressure and effort.
Count me in to ten of the best, for whatever figure works.
Life would be so effortless if there were only one list for each subject, but sadly there are hundreds of them, most websites or blogs have the inevitable list, and these are the pages to which people return again and again.
The Ten Best ways to Bring up Toddlers, to The Ten Best ways to Cook Spinach, The Ten best way to Start a Blog, The Ten must Have Gadgets of the Year, Ten Great Books Overlooked This Year, and many other long and short lists.
Top Ten Meta List?
Meta lists may be a lot of work and a lot of trouble - yes possibly, but then compared to what.
If one Imagines how they got Google maps to work. Did some bright spark come up with the idea and then they put a camera on top of a car and drove around every street, in the world? No, they didn't, but seen in that light, meta-lists is a walk in the park!
- Long-term traffic impact is higher over time with lists, they imply breadth and depth of insight and knowledge.
As only the "Top 10" or whatever arbitrary number you feel like, is presented thereby insinuating that the rest is just fluff or not worth bothering about.
- Lists are easy to extend for greater value
If you are looking for content, a Top Ten List, could be broken into ten posts or expanded with visuals.
As lists usually elicit a higher response rate with readers adding their own ideas to those already enumerated, this can lead to a really meaty, valuable post which draws long term traffic.