- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Overview of HubPages
What is better Squidoo or Hubpages?
Squidoo is NOT Available!
I'm updating this hub to let everyone know Squidoo is no longer available. They have combined with Hubpages. However, if you're interested in reading the rest of the article, please feel free! I still have pros and cons listed for Hubpages.com.
Hubpages or Squidoo?
Difference between Squidoo and Hubpages
This hub will go in to detail about the differences of each site. I will start with their interface, profitability, and community of each. It might seem that I lean towards Squidoo more, but it's only because I've been using it longer than hubpages.
Honestly, I can't choose which is better because they are unique in their own ways.
At the end of the hub, be sure to leave a comment of which site you enjoy using more!
- Modules - adding modules and making lenses is fairly simple. There are two ways to add modules to your lens. Either by clicking the button "add modules" to the top left of the page or on the right hand side you can choose the one you want by entering the number of a specific module you'd like.
- Scorecard - this is somewhat new to Squidoo. The scorecard was there to tell you the basics of what was needed for your lens, but since Google has intervened, Squidoo has added a couple more features. It is important to thoroughly go through each check to make sure your lens is full of quality, otherwise, you run the risk of having it unpublished or even flagged. Continue reading to read some of my experiences with flagged content.
- Themes - I enjoy the different themes Squidoo allows you to choose from. They have so many! If you have a kid friendly lens, they have themes that correlate including polka dots. If you have a scifi lens, they have that too. Sometimes, if you have a lens about a certain subject such as crafting, they have their own automatic themes and are automatically placed in their "magazine."
- Tags - tags are important when creating lenses. They help the search engine find your article, especially when searching within Squidoo
- Rank - There is no hubscore for Squidoo. Instead, only the lenses are ranked. This number changes day to day. Rank ranges from 1 to about 350,000 before it's unpublished. Viewers can not read an unpublished lens, hence why it is important to have such high quality.
- How do you want to get paid? - This is a lovely question! You have the option of either asking for cash or donating it. That's it! Squidoo has the option to add a paypal account to dump your earnings into.
- Affiliate Links - Just like hubpages, Squidoo is affiliated with ebay and amazon. In addition, they have affiliations with Etsy, Cafepress, and Youtube.
Even though the internet is constantly changing, I can say I have earned a couple dollars so far from Squidoo. It might be small right now, but I'm only learning to create masterpiece lenses.
- Forums - This is where you will receive your most feedback. The forums are great and already have preset categories to help find your answers a little quicker. Subjects on the forums include: New to Squidoo, The Squid Lounge, Show and Tell, Help Please!, Critique Me, Game Room, and Charity Partners. I have personally used the forums to introduce myself and get feedback on my lenses. Plus, it's a great way to meet new people.
- Lensmasters - These are your role models. Read their guides and take in all of their advice. They have been here longer than most people on the site and have seen change after change. Every lensmaster I have messaged, were kind and extremely quick to respond. Even if my question was stupid, they pointed me in the right direction.
- Capsules - Just like Squidoo, hubpages uses capsules. These are pretty much the same as modules. In order to add a capsule anywhere you can either click the grey tab on the left hand side of the screen that says "insert capsule." This tab will turn blue. You can also insert another capsule by going to the right hand side of the hub and individually click the capsule you would like to add.
For those of you that own a Galaxy Note 2, the interface for capsules on hubpages is better than squidoo.
- Goals - again, this is similar to Squidoo, but the goals are written a little differently. There are check boxes for 700, 850, 1000 etc for words written on your hub. This is great because this is one way to tell if your hub lacks quality. The amount of words you use does not make the quality of the hub, its just a guide for how much you've actually written. There is also a 3 picture goal and an interactive capsule goal. Interactive capsules include polls and are great for visitors to respond to your questions.
- Recipes - this is a unique thing that Squidoo does not offer. Recipe hubs are exactly what it says. This is a great way to get grandma's handmade banana bread out to your viewers. Capsules that are associated with the recipe hub include: cook time, instructions, ratings, ingredients, nutrition, and more!
- Rank - Hubscore or hubber score. This number will constantly change as more hubs are created. The fluctuation of traffic and activity on a hub affects the number of a hubber score. According to the site, this number ranges from 0 to 100. Successful hubbers do not always have 100 rating, but they can be pretty close.
Hubpages does not have tags that I know of. Tags are great to help viewers find you through google and even the hubpages search bar. Hubpages does not have personalized themes either, a feature that I really like with Squidoo.
- Affiliate Links - ebay and amazon are both affiliates.
- HubPages Earnings Program - this is a program that allows earnings through their ad program and ebay program. I am not familiar with these because you have to add your tax information, which I have not done.
- External Affiliate - If you have a google adsense account or an amazon associate account, the external affiliate program allows you to enter your ID numbers for extra income.
I hope to bring in the same amount of income as Squidoo in the next three months.
- Forums - The forums are great because you get to interact with other people doing the same thing. Topics include News, Freeform Discussion, Getting Help, Hubchallenges, Improving Your Hub, and Hubpages Tutorial and Community. Again, make sure to introduce yourself and ask for advice. You will only be as good as the time and effort you put into your lenses. Without quality, you will surely fizzle away.
- Questions - Questions is a unique feature and allows users to literally ask any question and opens up doors for new hubs, answers, and the chance to meet new people. By participating answering questions, both your writing and knowledge will increase.
- Comments - It seems that Hubpages receives more traffic than Squidoo and the community is more receptive to leaving comments and participating on your hubs. Keep this in mind especially if you are trying to obtain new traffic!
Cons of Hubpages and Squidoo
I'm not saying both hubpages and squidoo are bad. The only downfall is if you are new to this and new to writing, it can be frustrating to create the first hubs or lenses. Just when you think you have enough information about a subject, the rank plummets because SEO keywords weren't used.
Hubpages: I personally am not comfortable submitting tax information to any site, not just hubpages. However, there are people that do make a substantial amount of money because they are great writers. I want to caution, even Hubpages is very reputable, please always be careful where you input your information especially tax ID numbers and social security numbers.
Squidoo: Update 10/14/2013, you can no longer use your phone to edit lenses. They state you must use an ipad or a laptop. I have a Galaxy Note 2 with a stylus. I can honestly say I'm disappointed in Squidoo for this because it is how I create my lenses until I am at my computer.
If you have a Galaxy Note 2, you have to change the advanced settings in your phone and select far view, then go back to your article. This is the only way to write articles from your phone. Also, if you want to add pictures, you must crop your images until Squidoo accepts the correct image size.
Which do you like best? Squidoo or Hubpages
Squidoo or Hubpages. Which one is better for you?
My Squidoo Experience
I've been on Squidoo since January of this year and have learned so much. My very first lenses, I deleted. I hated them. They looked like spam because I didn't know what to write or how to write. With Squidoo, the modules helped guide my writing into smaller blocks just like this site and has slowly gotten better over the months. On top of my crappy writing, I always hated reading, which is why I've written so poorly.
It was serious motivation when I got my first $0.06. Yes only six cents, but I've gotten a little better with writing to increase that number to $2.56. Even if Squidoo editors and hubpage editors do not receive much, they are still learning valuable information on how to write and are reading more than others.
Below is a picture of my current earnings as well as, my highest ranked lens. To give you an example of what a lens looks like from Squidoo, scroll down.
I also have to say, I recommend both of these sites to everyone, especially to those who have excellent knowledge to share with others.
Side note* there are people on Squidoo, that have shown their payout on their lenses, that are making over $1000 a month. I'm not quite sure who has on hubpages, but I bet they are out there! If this isn't motivation to spread your knowledge, I don't know what is.
It is unfortunate, but Squidoo is warning me to unpublished my lens due to too many links pointing in the same direction and too many affiliate links. I am learning the hard way, but hopefully it will encourage me to be a better writer instead of an affiliator - my new word. I've had two of my best lenses get flagged, but if this happens to you, don't let it stop you from writing.
What I learned from this - If you are able to, just save your lens to your computer. Dissect the most important parts and try again. If you love a certain subject, you will have no problem creating new and different content. Don't spam your readers. I did it on Squidoo, but Hubpages leads you to use way less.
Squidoo Earnings February 2014
Suggestions for Both
Quality is key. Don't just post something to put it up. Put some elbow grease in anything and everything you write. If you don't know enough about your topic, don't give up. Do a little research and share your input, especially if you enjoy the subject. Speaking of, it's best to write about the things you enjoy, otherwise you'll be spiraling a downward path.
Affiliate links are also important, but don't spam them. Your viewers, including me, will hate rummaging through to find the rest of your hub or lens.
If you happen to enjoy this hub about the difference between Squidoo and Hubpages, please comment!