Six Important Tips to Help a New Writer
Write About Things You Know
Introduction - Write Every Day
Being a writer is not for the faint of heart. There's just no time to sit around and rest on your laurels. If you want to increase your monthly pay-out you must keep writing. Write something every day even if it's just a thought or an idea.
Write about things you know. Your passion and expertise on your subject are crucial. Displayed throughout your content, it is the thread that keeps the reader stimulated.
If I've learned anything about writing it's to develop original, unique, high quality content. This requires trust and confidence in oneself.
And learn to revise your work...again...and again. This will turn mediocrity into greatness.
So if you're ready to stretch your wings and fly, let's go!
Eleven Tips On Writing To Get You Started
Here are eight important tips to consider when writing:
- The Title - When editing/revising your title, make sure it isn't too long or broad. Be specific when writing the title. This will also help to increase your traffic (viewers.)
- Answer the question found in your title early. This captures the attention of the reader right away and they are more likely to stay with you to the end of your article or blog.. During my early years as a writer I made the mistake of beginning my blog with a long, tedious introduction. It took me way to long to get to the point. Live up to the promise you make to your reader - the sooner the better.
- Write a minimum of 500 words with useful content that keeps the reader interested.
- When revising your blog or article, be sure all content is fresh and up to date. Nothing will lose a reader as fast as out-dated content.
- Key Word Stuffing - Avoid this like the plague. Google looks at this as spam. You may not even realize you're doing this so always double check your work.
- Always check your spelling. There is nothing that cries out amateur like a misspelled word. Use the spell check provided in the tool bar and if you need to, google a word for correct spelling.
- Articles with photos rate better. Remember to use photos approved for public domain and always give correct attribution. Your own original photos are best. Keep your camera handy wherever you go. A picture really is worth a thousand words and helps the reader to use their imagination and even feel the emotion you are trying to convey within the blog.
- Videos - Good, relevant videos complete your answer to the title question. Select those that are top quality and on good authority. But don't make your entire hub videos alone.
- Add additional content - Adding even one paragraph with interesting new content will make a difference in bringing in more traffic.
- Resources - Give credit where credit is due. List all resources and include links. And listing books to read and additional information may help your blog score better.
- Include a poll and/or map when you revise or create your article. This is another way to keep your readers interested.
- Floating a capsule - Float a capsule to the right highlighting the points of your blog for giving additional information.
- Summarizing - Make your summary clear and to the point. Using bullets helps to attract the reader.
- Comments - Thank your readers and invite them to leave a comment.
- Proofread - Finally, proof read your entire blog at least two times. Do this carefully before submitting or re-submitting your revision.
Helpful Instruction For Writers
Edit/Revise Your Hubs Often
To revise means to 'look again'. After you complete your hub be sure to read it completely through at least once.
- Does your opening paragraph grab your reader's attention?
- Have you given enough examples?
- Do your paragraphs flow well from one to another?
- Does your summary list key points?
When you edit and revise a hub you become a better writer. Make it a practice to revise your hubs often.
Visit the Hubpages Learning Center for tutorials and community discussions.
Have a Plan For Writing
In order to succeed,you have to have a plan. To just blindly jump into any challenge just isn't enough. Taking time to prepare your strategy not only assures you of success, but saves you time in the long run.
- Begin by making a list of topics to write about
- After saving the titles in word, began to build a brief outline.
- You may change the title at any time as you build your content.
When an idea comes to you jot those ideas down. Sometimes inspiration can come to you when you're driving, watching television, on a walk or while reading a book. It may even wake you in the middle of the night.
Set aside a window of time each day to devote to writing. I find that if I do some form of activity to get my heart rate up just before sitting down to my desk, the juices begin to flow. There are times when my mind is so filled with inner dialogue, I can't write fast enough.
How Disciplined Are You?
Completing any challenge requires self-discipline. There will always be distractions. So how can we focus on the business-at-hand and avoid getting distracted?
- Setting aside a specific time to write. During this time, do not get side-tracked with anything else. Devote this period of time to writing. Use discipline and keep your mind on writing only.
- Avoid distractions. Do not be tempted to open your email, read other articles, check your scores or your traffic. The period of time you have set aside for writing must involve only writing.
- Do not answer the phone. Before you begin writing, turn off the ringer on the telephone and set the volume to low or quiet. Completely turn off your cell phone.
- Family interruptions. If at all possible, find a time to write when you are alone. Gently explain to members of the household that you need their cooperation during your time for writing. Explain to them that you will need to concentrate for the next hour (or your designated time), and you must not be interrupted during this time.
- Drinks. Keep water or other liquid (no alcohol) at your desk.
- Take a break. Every so often, get up from your chair and stretch your back and legs. Take a nice full deep breath 3 or 4 times, letting the air out slowly. This will re-energize your brain and help with circulation. If you like, just take a few steps back and forth.
- Blink every once-in-awhile. This reduces strain on the eyes.
Self-discipline isn't something you're born with. It's an existence you cultivate. By using constant self-discipline and self-control you will develop greatness of character.
Love These Tips!
Twelve Final Tips to Keep You Writing
- The plan is to keep writing and if you can't find the time, start with just 15 minutes.
- Instead of trying to write your entire content, start by writing the subheads. Once these are established you can go back at another time and fill in the details.
- Writing a complete article can be somewhat over-whelming. Developed good, strong subheads. They're worth spending a little more time and are instrumental in keeping your readers from straying.
- Keep your writing simple. Let it flow.
- When you get stuck, try switching genres like writing a poem. It helps to keep a file on quotes, poetry, art or anything that will ignite your imagination. Use your creativity.
- Allow your ideas to incubate. Let them sit for a few days and add more ideas as they come to you.
- Avoid perfectionism which takes up too much time.
- Add a dominant photo to your article. This helps to grab the readers attention.
- Use bullet points or number lists.
- Edit, edit, edit. Check your spelling and grammar.
- If you use quotes use them sparingly.
- Be sure your subheads are informative
Summary - Key Points to Review For The Writer In You
- To succeed in writing more articles, you must have a plan.
- Write every day.
- Use self-discipline and focus when writing.
- Write strong subheads.
- Keep the content simple but strong.
- Avoid perfectionism. This wastes time.
- Develop original and unique content.
The faster you are able to write your articles the more you can produce which helps to increase your earnings.
Thank you for joining me. I'd love to hear your comments.
Was This Hub Helpful?
© 2011 Audrey Hunt