Why You Should Participate in HubPages Contests and Win More than Hard Cash
What are HubPages Competitions?
Periodically, perhaps every 3 - 4 months* HubPages holds a hub-writing contest. They pick a topic and, over a period of four weeks, they invite entries on that topic and daily sub-topic. The competition just before writing this Hub was about finance and entitled, Money Grows on Hubs, but since then there have been a wide variety of topics - something for everyone. Even if you think a contest is not for you - think again - isn't there any angle you can take on your own ground that could fit well into the theme? Think out of the box and be a bit creative.
So why should you enter these contests and what's in it for you?
Here's a little inspiration for you: have a look at the Money Grows on Hubs Grand Prize Winner Confessions of a Welfare Recipient - Assistance for Low-Income Families Money certainly grew on a Hub for JillKostow
This is going to be a quick, no waffle guide to why I think you should participate.
*If there is a more exact programme, please let me know. I did check out 'Answers' and while someone posed the question of frequency of contests, there was no definite reply.
What is HubPages?
Ok, lets take a step back here. I've assumed that if you're reading this then maybe you're already a member of the HubPages community - but perhaps you've stumbled across this site and don't know what on earth I'm talking about!
Well, HubPages is a community. It's a group of writers that use the HubPages platform to write and publish articles. There are forums for you to chat, gain knowledge and support, share ideas and relationships - professional relationships is what I have in mind!
You also get paid by HubPages! Yes, you heard me correctly. HubPages will pay you to write articles about what interests you most. Of course the cash is very small if, like me, you don't have the knack, the business sense to work clever, or the knowledge to get your articles out there. But what better place to see what you can learn and achieve. There are some big earners out there!
Why not go it alone with your own web site? Do. Many Hubbers have their own sites too, and HubPages is a great complimentary tool for creating links and driving traffic to your other site (or sites). This works both ways of course.
So what's in it for me? Fame, money, satisfaction, support and a whole lot more.
Lets start with why you shouldn't enter HubPages contests
If you don't have time to learn how to write a good Hub, to take time to see what the top writers produce, if you don't have writing skills and any imagination. If you can't put together an informative article either from your current knowledge or from knowlege gleaned from elsewhere and put together in an intelligent and useful way. In other words, if you're "not very good" AND won't work at getting better.
But what if you're great? Should you bother with HubPage contests? If you are a busy, popular, well-paid and successful writer who is in HubPages simply to earn money, perhaps it's a waste of your time to enter the contest. On the other hand, why not whack in a few entries and let the winnings pour into your PayPal account?
So if you're not good but willing to put in time and effort to learn, or if you're already good and could do with a few quid, a bit of adulation, a few good and skilled Hub friends - read on .....
Get a little help on your way to success with HubPages
Ten reasons why you should enter a HubPage contest
For anyone else there are a stack of reasons why you should take the trouble to enter. Here are just a few off the top of my head:
- Cash - Win cash with HubPages
- Inspiration - You might be inspired to write more hubs and better hubs
- Drive - nothing like a contest with a deadline to get the adrenalin going
- Ideas - You might write about new topics or angle your hubs in a new ways
- Instruction - The subjects are chosen to result in good traffic and the advice and hints for the competition are useful for on-line writing in general and Hubs in particular
- Increase your traffic - Not only by tackling the contest subjects but by bringing your hubs to the attention of a wider audience. You can capitalise on this if you can simultaneously enter the article for the HubMob (see forums)
- Meet new people - Checking out the entrants and winners is a great way to see who is out there
- Hone your skills - by reading the hubs of the winners, you can learn more about what the judges, (are they 'experts?), think is a good hub. Scrutinise these and apply them to your own work
- Learn more about the art of writing good Hubs from the contest instructions and hints. They give you good advice
- Get feedback. While not being selected doesn't mean your work is not good, If you are selected you'll know that you are doing something right, and it's always nice to get a pat on the back
More good reasons to enter the Hub Contests (thanks Hubbers!)
Hubbers have left even more inspiring reasons why you should enter the contests (there you are - a sharing and supportive community spirit at work on HubPages:
1. You might write about new topics
2. You could angle your hubs in a new ways
Why would you enter the competition?
What would be your main motivation for entering the HubPages contest?
More expert advice from other Hubbers on HubPages Contests
- Money Grows on Hubs! The January 2011 Writing Contest
Personal Finance is the application of the principles of finance to the monetary decisions of an individual or family unit.
- The Money Grows on Hubs Contest Winners: How they Won
The Money Grows on Hubs Contest of January 2011 provided an excellent data corpus for statistical analysis. For 28 days, a Staff Pick was selected from among the daily entries. These are the cream of the cropthe hubs to study as models.
- How to Drive Traffic to Your Hub Web Site With HubPages Participation
By participating in HubPages contests and challenges, I have increased the views to my Hubs by over 30%, made new friends, stimulated an ongoing interest in writing, and increased earnings. You can accomplish...
Inspired to win that Hub cash?
Anyone can enter the competition, but you have to be a member, so if you haven't already joined, Join now! Write your own pages, whatever you like (within the bounds of decency etc) on HubPages absolutely FREE
Want to see why else you should write Hubs? What Benefits Do I See from HubPages?
Anyone have any more ideas why you should, or shouldn't, submit articles for the competition? Do let me know by leaving a message in the comments box - I'll add them onto the list.
Are you up for winning money on HubPages?
Will you enter the next HubPages contest?
I've been fortunate to win the contests
- Cassinomagus Roman Archeological Site at Chassenon The Charente South West France
Cassinomagus is one of the most important Roman archaeological sites in France and possibly Europe. This well- preserved site includes Roman baths, or thermes, gardens, temples and amphitheatre. Situated in Chassenon, the Charente, South West France,
- How to Bend a Copper Pipe With and Without Plumbing Tools
- 10 Tips for a Budget Friendly Holiday in France
Budget-friendly holidays in France are good deals. Cut holiday costs with a vacation in Limousin. Economise on accommodation. Prices for hotel b and b accommodation in France are very reasonable. Gites in Limousin are plentiful, excellent and economi
- The City of York - Tips for a Vacation on a Budget
Visit York City on a budget – it can be done and a budget holiday in York need not be second best. In York tourisme is big business, but you can have a wonderful time and hang onto some of your hard earned cash. So, what to do in York that is free, c
- Where to Buy Limoges Porcelain in Limousin, France
Buying Limoges porcelain in Limousin is fun. Explore this hidden and beautiful region, visit porcelain museums, see the china being made and even see the old kilns, but above all visiting Limousin is about choice and price. Why not take a porcelain v
A Hubography of my articles
- Find an Article by Les Trois Chenes
We run painting holidays and courses, a bed and breakfast and self-catering holiday cottage in Videix, Limousin, S W France. I write about our life in France and this is an index / biography of my HubPage profile and articles.
More Help Towards a Career in Online Writing
I write on other sites too
I joined Squidoo in 2010 with the intention of writing articles about my life in Limousin, South West France. My family and I arrived at our old, French farm house, Les Trois Chenes, in the tiny hamlet of Videix in 2002 and now, nearly ten years late