- HubPages Tutorials and Community»
- Help for New Hubbers
An Introduction to HubPages With Snoopy and Woodstock
My 100th Hub on HubPages
To commemorate my 100th hub, I wanted to do something special here at HubPages. I wanted to do something memorable, much like my 50th Hub, Why I Write: A Reflection in which I delved into my passion for writing and how it ultimately changed my life, by giving a little back to the incredibly diverse and talented community we have here at HubPages. I also wanted to do a hub on Snoopy and Woodstock as well and couldn't decide on which to do, as I can only have one 100th Hub...And so this happened.
I'd like to dedicate this hub to my close friend and fellow Hubber cosette. I thought it would make perfect sense to dedicate a special hub to a special friend whom I dearly admire and respect and who's been with me nearly my entire time while here at HubPages. I'm proud to say that I was her first fan early on. She, like so many others when new to HubPages, had many questions for me concerning HubPages. Sometimes, I wasn't quite sure how to answer all of them, but made it a point to find the answer as I sincerely felt it my responsibility to help all those who asked for help (with what little I knew). So with that said, I really hope that you do like this hub cosette, as you've inspired me to write this.
Welcome To HubPages!
I remember when first I joined HubPages. I was very shy and was as quiet as a mouse while constantly looking over my shoulder. It reminded me of being a freshman on my first day of high school so many years ago as a stranger in a very strange land. There were upperclassmen all around me and a handful of staff. Some of the people there were even hall monitors which I never experienced before in all my previous schooling. Well, ladies and gentleman, HubPages is very much like high school, at least in this sense, only, you won’t have to worry about being wedgied, taken to the bathroom for a quick swirly (when you are forced head first into a toilet while it's flushing), or being locked up in your own locker (like I was). Nope. You’ll be spared from such extracurricular activities here.
So, if you are indeed new here, I’d like to personally welcome you to HubPages. You’ve taken the first step in the right direction towards online publishing success. Maybe you’ve have not yet published online before or maybe you’re a seasoned veteran with 10+ years experience with SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and are now here to add back links to your blog or domain. While here, you’ll find that the publishing tools are indeed user friendly and that the people or Hubbers are even friendlier. Rest assured, help is always available to those who simply ask.
In a nutshell, HubPages is a social networking and writing
site where you can freely write to your heart’s content and make a bit
of money while doing so. Of course there
are some rules pertaining to this, but are very much in good taste and within reason (for
instance, you can’t post pornography, can’t gamble, or use duplicated content
for your hub articles). HIgh quality, original content will be rewarded with good Hubscores. Not sure what this entails? Click here to find some great examples of the best hubs HubPages has to offer.
HubPages Tip: Cater To Your Followers
Why Snoopy and Woodstock Appear On This Hub
So why in the world did I choose Snoopy and Woodstock to appear in
this hub? To me, Snoopy and Woodstock represent
camaraderie. The two are
inseparable—wherever Snoopy goes, Woodstock
follows. When I think about HubPages,
the first thing that comes to mind is my Followers. Without them I don’t have a readership and
without a readership, I won’t have any traffic.
I once wrote in my intro to one of my Revenge, Inc. installments that
I’m performing for empty seats without my readers and I meant every word of
it. Like with any business, if you don't have a clientele you will consequently fail.
HubPages Tip: You Are Not Alone on HubPages! Seek Answers For All Your Questions Concerning HubPages!
Getting Started On HubPages - The Least You Should Know
Here is a brief grocery list of what you should have when first starting out with HubPages to quickly jump start your success. Time after time, I've seen many people come and go because they didn't know the basics. I've found that they either lack the following or simply didn't have the patience necessary to mature as successful Hubbers:
- Get an Avatar Sounds pretty simple, right? In case you don't know what an avatar is, it's your profile pic that shows others here at Hub Land who you are or who your representing. It's not hard to find a pic on the internet as there are millions to choose from. But for goodness sake, don't leave your avatar blank, as others will in fact be reluctant to get to know you or your work if you don't have one.
- Edit Your Profile Your Profile Page tells the world who you are and what you're about. For instance, if your an airplane pilot, you'll make mention of your experiences of such and so should some or all of your hubs be related to such field. There will be some who will become your fan just from reading your profile, so introduce yourself to others in your profile. As an example, you can read my profile by clicking here.
- Get A Google Account Getting yourself a Google Account or Google Mail (GMail) account is necessary if you want to earn money through Google AdSense. This doesn't necessarily have to be your primary email account (I use Yahoo Mail! as my primary email) here at HubPages, but you need to have one in order to qualify for their Affiliate Program.
- Have Patience Many people come to HubPages with visions of grandeur, about making millions (ha ha) over night. Seriously, even the best bloggers in the world did tons of research and/or had training before they made anything substantial online. If you take the necessary steps in SEO than you will already be ahead of the curve. It took me 5 months to make my first Google AdSense payout. For many others, it takes 6 months or more. There are no shortcuts to online success, I assure you. However, if you are not here to make money, then you won't have to worry about any of this!
- Schmooze It makes sense to be social in a social networking site. Get on the forums and introduce yourself, leave comments on the hubs that you read so the writer KNOWS that you read his or her hub. Participate in everything that you can find to gain notoriety. You need to be visible and a social butterfly if you do want to get noticed here. I've actually made a couple of friends who I correspond with via email and telephone and I met them all on HubPages. It never hurts to network with others.
HubPages Tip: Interact With Others
How To Get Followers On HubPages
Back when I first joined HubPages, what is now referred to
as “Followers” was referred to as “Fans.”
There are some of us still that prefer the old moniker, but whatever: In
accordance with other social networking sites, on Facebook, they’re called
“Friends,” on Twitter, they’re also called “Followers,” and on YouTube, they’re
called “Subscribers.” And if you want to
take it a step further, in Heaven they’re called “Angels” and in Hell, they’re
called “Demons.” I guess Heaven and Hell are social
networks too, right? So be it. Someone once asked me how I was able to get
so many fans in such a small amount of time and I told them that I bribed them
with my sister’s famous egg rolls. Well,
when that didn’t fly, I told them to simply Follow the Golden Rule. In
other words, do onto others as you would want have done onto you. I usually comment A LOT on other people’s
hubs.To be honest, that might actually
be an understatement. At last count,
I’ve commented on over 4,400 hubs and that’s no exaggeration. However, I think my friend prettydarkhorse is
gaining on me. On average, I read about 20 hubs a
day, sometimes more if I have the time. I just do my very best to read those who read me as not only is it a courtesy, but a pleasure to do so. Time is certainly precious to me, as it must be for you, so for people who actually take the time out of their busy lives to read my work, I thank you kindly as it's certainly a blessing. Repaying the favor is certainly in order. I assure you, if you do in fact take the time to read and comment on other people's work, good things will indeed happen.
HubPages Tip: Your Diligence Will Pay Off
Being Active on HubPages
Here at HubPages, you’ll find that
Followers form a symbiotic circle. No
man is an island and no Hubber gets anywhere without a following. So
with that said, get to know as many
Hubbers as you can by being active on the forums, participating in
Princessa's HubMob Weekly Topic, the 30 Hubs in 30 Days Hub Challenge, being nominated for a Hub Nugget, and/or
by reading other people's hubs and make sincere, thoughtful comments.
Although I can't guarantee that after doing so that these same people
will come over and read your hubs and comment, the likelihood of their
doing so stands in your favor. In effect, it's an unspoken courtesy
here at HubPages, but not a rule in such. To be successful here, you have to be active and stay active!
HubPages Tip: Use An Avatar
Finding Your Niche or Niches!
When I first joined HubPages back in July of 2009, I was told that fiction and poetry doesn't do well here.
Anonymous: Really. Well, for one, they don't make money and two, they don't get much attention.
Well, then you'll have to tell that to my weekly and daily readers (most notably my Revenge, Inc. readers) as I do get a nice dose of traffic from them not to mention a lot of comments (they may however, have a point about the money, ha ha). I'm one of those Hubbers that writes a bit about everything, from import tuner models, to book reviews. From travel destinations to short stories and from product reviews to quick and easy recipes. I just can't bare to write one hundred hubs about insurance, it's not for me but it might be for you. By the way, internet wise, insurance is a very good keyword, albeit a competitive one mind you. The important thing is to share your knowledge and expertise with the rest of the world. If you are a mechanic, perhaps you could write hubs on how to change oil or maybe you're a photographer who doesn't mind sharing his knowledge about proper lighting. You get the idea. By finding a niche and running with it, you become a sort of guru here at HubPages through the course of time and popularity. Here are some good examples here at HubPages:
- Tatjana-Mihaela and Shalini Kagal Both of these ladies are a fountain of information when it comes to alternative healing and Bach remedies. Tatjana-Mihaela is a Reiki-Master Teacher who provides an online service.
- Anime_Nanet Just about anything to do with Japanese anime here at HubPages begins and ends with this guy. He's one of the most dedicated people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
- Mrvoodoo Anything zany, wacky, scary, and fascinating is this guy's bag. I practically read everything he's written as he continues to spark my curious curiosity!
- Anglwu She holds the esteemed position of being a triple threat in fashion, beauty, and personal health. Her hub, Weight Loss Secrets From Around the World is one of my favorites.
- Rebecca E She will always have a larger following than me. Why? Because she has a bigger propensity to help others. Her hubs are testament to that. Make sure you check out her hubs on how to improve yours!
- Peter Dickinson He's the Great Llama of zoology with decades of experience in the field. He's taught me more about Zoos in Asia than anyone else I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.
- Randy Behavior She's won several awards right here on HubPages and by her avatar and amazing collection of poetry it's no wonder! Have a look at her hubs.
- Ghost32 This gentleman is one of the most knowledgeable hubbers I know when it comes to trucking school, building a house from scratch and Sarah Palin. He's also one of the most benevolent and respected Hubbers around.
- Wavegirl22 As a siren of the sidelines, this NYC native knows more about the NFL than some NFL players! She stole my heart from the start and refuses to give it back.
- Hypnodude Although he's still technically a newbie, this gentleman from Italy will put a spell on you with his writing (seriously). His talent and penchant to help others is unmatched.
- TattoGuy The man I refer to as El Capitaine has set sail to bring you a schooner of tattoo hubs on just about every body part. He can spin a pretty good yarn too if your up for it.
- Poetlorraine We don't forget our first (follower) and I'm not about to forget mine! She was the first ever to read my work when coming aboard HubPages so long ago. I swear, she has the heart the size of Ireland. Her love for poetry is immense.
- Cris A This guy is really a wizard disguised as a Filipino. As one of my close friends here on HubPages, he can take a handful of dirt and a piece of cardboard and create a masterpiece and sell it on the open market for a king's ransom I'm sure. His writing and Photoshop works are masterpieces.
HubPages Tip: Add Videos To Spice Up Your Hubs
Your Success Depends On You
So why are you here right now? Perhaps you were looking up what "Blogging" was (just like I did) and so stumbled upon HubPages while doing so. Maybe you were looking for a place in which to interact with others live or maybe you simply wanted to share some of your poetry or other writing by publishing online, or maybe you're just looking to make some money like so many others out there on cyberspace. In either case, your success depends on you. If you do in fact want to achieve any of these things and do it effectively, you're going have to put fourth the effort. For instance, if you do want to earn some money with your hubs, you need to do some SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and to do that, you're going to have to learn about it. If you want to get noticed here then you have to "notice" others first. If you want to get "street cred" you're going to have to earn it just like everyone else. Everyone started here just like you did to get where they are and your situation is no different. I was once brand new to blogging when first I came onto the HubPages scene and perhaps just like you, I was overwhelmed by the amount of Hubs others have written, the amount of Followers they had, the high Hubberscores they had, and the amount of tenure they had here. But those successful Hubbers are the SAME PEOPLE that helped me along the way, mostly because I asked for it. Remember, they were new too once upon a time. So long as you are willing to listen to more experienced Hubbers and are willing to put forth the effort to succeed, you will succeed. Believe in yourself and you will!
HubPages Tip: Read Others The Way You Would Like To Be Read
Start Building Your Portfolio
As you know, this is my 100th and it's long overdue. I really thought that I'd reach this number two months ago, but no matter. My advice to you? Keep publishing hubs and keep on coming up with novel ideas as your traffic will spike as a result of it. Consistency will pay off. There are some Hubbers that are working on anywhere between 25 and 50 hubs at a time. To do this, all's you have to do is click on SAVE UNPUBLISHED and then come back to it when you get the time. Although I came here to share my writing, I also would like to make some money, so there is a slight division between my hubs--almost 50/50--when it comes to such. But overall, I have fun writing every single one of them. Remember, HubPages is a fun experience so you should treat it as such, so remember to HAVE FUN!!!
Would you like to be a part of the fastest-growing Online writing community? It's free to join and you can start writing immediately! Please click here to get started!
I really hope that this hub helped you in some way. Keep on writing and keep on hubbing! Thank you for reading me and here's to your success!
HubPages Tip: The Help Button Is at the Above Right of Every Screen!
From Hubber LeonJane
My Personal Favorites
- Revenge, Inc. Part 1: A Short Story
There are many factors in which inspired me to write this story and I owe much to some of the current events of the world, certain movies, with its wide range of characters, books, graphic novels, and...
- Book Review: Runny Babbit by Shel Silverstein
Runny Babbit lent to wunch And heard the saitress way, We have some lovely stabbit rewI Our Special for today. So if you say, Lets bead a rook Thats billy as can se, ...
- Book Review: The Sneetches By Dr. Seuss
The Sneetches are a group of yellow bird-like creatures that live on a beach in a far away land. And on this beach there are two types of Sneetches: One type with green stars on their bellies and one type...
- The Road That Leads To Your Heart: A Short Story
Courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/benheine/ Dear Reba, Its been ten years since I last saw you, twenty years since last I danced with you, and thirty years since we first met. But no, Reba,...
- Stay the Course; Follow Your Dreams
Please be advised that the following article may discourage or encourage you to succeed or fail in life, like it or not. I may be supporting or arguing the fact that you should or should not follow your...
- An Ode to the Big Blue Wrecking Crew
In September of 2007, I was given the rare opportunity to attend the New York Giants home opener at Giants Stadium. Just as soon as I was offered the ticket to go and see my favorite team in the known...
- Visit Luang Prabang Laos
Wat Haw Pha Bang in Luang Prabang Laos Steeped in history and tradition, Luang Prabang is Laos' Crown Jewel. Inducted into the United Nations Educational, Scientific, Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 1995...
- American Express Centurion: The Black Card
American Express Centurion, a.k.a. The Black Card. Courtesy of flickr.com For those of you that are wondering, my name is not Cheung Chun Keung and that is not my hand holding that Amex Black Card...But I...
- A Writer's Essentials: The Things I Cannot Do Withou...
Robot-Inspired Flash Drive Over the years, a couple of people have asked me,