1. Content. Lots of it.
2. Search relevance. Is the content related to search words?
3. Links back
4. Links between pages and a link back to the index page
5. You can ask Google for an indexing number (Google tools) for your website. It is like a Google serial number... they will always spider you but it does not mean a high rating.
6. A good domain name helps if it relates to the content.
7. Links to other relevant sites.
8. Links back from top sites are important.
Do I know what I'm doing? Google Butch News.
And, if you Google my name (David Silvercloud) you should find up to 6 pages of listings most days.